Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Turtle Wax Leather Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-10, 11:26 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Turtle Wax Leather Conditioner

I was wondering if Turtle Wax Leather Conditioner would be safe to use on the leather of my RX300? Will it change the color of the leather? I think I've read of other people on this forum using it, but I wanted to make sure before I use it. I know it's not anywhere near Lexol cleaners but it should do for now. I've been using Meguairs for a while and figured I would try this.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hypervish; 08-23-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 12:00 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate to generalize about a whole brand, but i avoid anything from turtle wax due to their horror stories.

stick to meg's for OTC. i use 303 aerospace on my leather. gonna get leather masters in the near future.
Old 08-24-10, 06:17 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed with JetFire on the use of that brand, alot of leather being used in todays automobiles has a top coating. Some leather can be either Semi-Aniline, means the Leather is dyed and a thin coating is applied for protection or Pigmented means leather is typically less expensive showing more defects, but is coated with a thick layer of colored pigmentation. Many leather conditioners, if used on this coated leather, will not penetrate the coating to allow the conditioning oils to reach the leather. Here are some products to consider for treating these types of leathers are listed below and if you're not sure if your car's leather is vinyl coated, check with your car dealer or with the manufacturer. Also with some members here at Club Lexus.

Blackfire High-UV Leather Conditioner
Collinite Leather and Vinyl Treatment No 855
1Z einszett Leather Care "Lederpflege"
Leatherique Restoration Products
Optimum Protectant Plus/Leather Protectant
Old 08-24-10, 10:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help. I already bought it so I'm going to give it a shot on a small portion of the leather that isn't visible (ie, under the headrest).
Old 08-27-10, 12:02 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how did it turn out hypervish?
Old 08-28-10, 07:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

It surprisingly, looks fantastic. The leather is soft to the touch. The color is still the same.
It's a win in my book. Only down side is the smell, definitely does not smell good like the Meguiars but it does the job much better.
Thanks, for asking!

Once, I finish this bottle of conditioner in a few months, I'm dying to try the Optimum Leather Protectant, and the Lexol Quick Wipes.