Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 11:51 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been a fan of Griot's Garage products. Their One-step Sealant lasts a while (6 months or so) and also contains a mild polish. Or you could just use their Paint Sealant which is just normal sealant and lasts just as long as the One-Step.

Though, Griot's products can get a bit pricey.
Old 09-02-10, 11:31 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of great choices out there. Two of my favorites are the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Both provide exceptional protection, shine and ease of use. I highly recommend both of them to anyone looking for outstanding protection with a glossy shine.
Old 09-02-10, 02:08 PM
nevergone
Driver School Candidate

Nu Finish is cheap garbage STAY AWAY. I've used a LOT of sealants from Zaino to UPGP and lots in between. My hands down favorite right now is Blackfire Wet Diamond. Often I don't even put a top coat of wax over it because it's just that good. Make sure you strip all old waxes or any other garbage off your cars surface first and you should probably clay the car while you're at it too. Sealants should always be put on clean wax free surface for best adhesion and longevity.
Old 09-02-10, 02:21 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevergone
Nu Finish is cheap garbage STAY AWAY. I've used a LOT of sealants from Zaino to UPGP and lots in between. My hands down favorite right now is Blackfire Wet Diamond. Often I don't even put a top coat of wax over it because it's just that good. Make sure you strip all old waxes or any other garbage off your cars surface first and you should probably clay the car while you're at it too. Sealants should always be put on clean wax free surface for best adhesion and longevity.
thanks man!

good thing i didn't go with the Nu finish LOL
i see so many bottles of them everywhere! i think to myself.. wow these must be unpopular cause no one seems to pick them up whereas other brands have empty shelves

oh i always thought sealants are the last step to detailing the car?
i thought we were supposed to wax the car first and then apply the sealant to seal everything underneath?

hmmm never used a sealant before so glad i'm learning before i start using it!
Old 09-02-10, 03:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you want something that offers great protection and durability try Collinite 476S. It is a carnuba based wax but it outlasts and outprotects just about all sealants. It is easy to apply and take off also and does not cost much. I have used it and have been very happy.
Old 09-02-10, 04:50 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
If you want something that offers great protection and durability try Collinite 476S. It is a carnuba based wax but it outlasts and outprotects just about all sealants. It is easy to apply and take off also and does not cost much. I have used it and have been very happy.
thank you very much man! i'll definitely keep an eye out for that carnuba based wax!
i actually saw another carnuba based wax the other day.. but i think it was mother's brand
Old 09-03-10, 12:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentWish
thank you very much man! i'll definitely keep an eye out for that carnuba based wax!
i actually saw another carnuba based wax the other day.. but i think it was mother's brand
Collinite 476S is unlike any other carnuba based wax in that its protection and durability is right up there with the best sealants. If you want protection and durability I would not recommend any other carnuba wax other the Collinite because other carnuba waxes just don't last very long and don't provide the protection like a good sealant or 476S does. Carnubas are mainly just for added gloss and depth where Collinite is mainly for protection and durability. The Mothers's carnuba will not provide anywhere near the protection and durability that Collinite 476S or a good sealant would. Pretty much all the good sealants/waxes are not available at over the counter stores and you have to order them from detailing sites. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-10, 12:37 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Collinite 476S is unlike any other carnuba based wax in that its protection and durability is right up there with the best sealants. If you want protection and durability I would not recommend any other carnuba wax other the Collinite because other carnuba waxes just don't last very long and don't provide the protection like a good sealant or 476S does. Carnubas are mainly just for added gloss and depth where Collinite is mainly for protection and durability. The Mothers's carnuba will not provide anywhere near the protection and durability that Collinite 476S or a good sealant would. Pretty much all the good sealants/waxes are not available at over the counter stores and you have to order them from detailing sites. Good Luck.
wow thank you so much man!
no wonder i can't find any of the brands you guys have been mentioning at over the counter stores LOL
i was planning to go to detailing sites to have a look!

any good detailing sites you guys recommend? where would be the cheapest place to get the Collinite 476S or the Blackfire Wet Diamond everyone's mentioning about?

and thanks for all the input everyone! this forum is great help!
Old 09-03-10, 01:10 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The secret is to clay and get the paint in the best possible shape then add your sealant-

I use the Klass twins! Very good product--goes on and comes off easy. Optiseal is very good too, I have a bottle of that as well--goes along long way and no buffing off either.

I have also used Ultima products--spendy but they are very good too and have a whole line of car care products.. http://www.ultimafinishcare.com/ult-6000-cs.html
Old 09-03-10, 01:12 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any good detailing sites you guys recommend? where would be the cheapest place to get the Collinite 476S or the Blackfire Wet Diamond everyone's mentioning about?

Support our vendors here on CL I always order my detailing supplies from them.
Old 09-03-10, 01:14 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilentWish
wow thank you so much man!
no wonder i can't find any of the brands you guys have been mentioning at over the counter stores LOL
i was planning to go to detailing sites to have a look!

and thanks for all the input everyone! this forum is great help!
Support our vendors on CL I always order my detailing supplies from them.
Old 09-04-10, 01:52 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i usually use the klasse twins, then top on the SG with a few coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond with Poly, or 4* UPP... it lasts me 6 months...
Old 09-06-10, 12:28 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A1Lexis

Support our vendors here on CL I always order my detailing supplies from them.
We are the makers of Blackfire Wet Diamond and also carry Collinite products also. So give us a call and with our sale going on till tomorrow you can't beat it!
Old 09-06-10, 12:39 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
and with our sale going on till tomorrow you can't beat it!
i put in my order yesterday take advantage of the free shipping and clublexus discount!!! can't wait to prep my car for the winter...
Old 09-06-10, 02:59 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
We are the makers of Blackfire Wet Diamond and also carry Collinite products also. So give us a call and with our sale going on till tomorrow you can't beat it!
angelo!

i browsed the website and wanted to take advantage of your sale as well but i live in canada and i dont think i'll get free shipping.. is there any advantages in this sale for CL members in canada?

Quick Reply: Best Sealant?