Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DIM painting the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 05:04 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Do you not have access to a compressor? I have to say that even a cheap gun along with a compressor would be a much better way for even application versus trying to do everything in a "House of Krylon" style. Plus, rattle cans get pricey. You can buy a cheap gun with a couple tip options for less than $50. Sure, it won't be a Sata or Devilbiss, but you're not charging for a paint job, either.

What color are you hoping to end with, BTW?

Big Mack
The color I am using is a dark red. And I am gonna be using a gun and do the color application the professional way. I am only using the rattle cans for the primer application. EVERYONE hear me...primer only! lol

And I will be removing all the parts I can when its time to apply my color/clear coats.
Old 09-05-10, 05:07 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Ok so I got some progress done today. In total its gonna be over 10 cans of primer and alot of time. lol

Another shot. I didnt wanna tape everything up because ive been applying the primer outside...didnt turn out too bad. After it all dries maybe the day before i paint it I will go over the entire car with 1000 Grit sandpaper then wipe down and apply paint.

Old 09-05-10, 05:10 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

I dont know what ima do for the door jambs but i really wanna paint them. I might just use a paint brush and do it that way. Heres the last of the pics...

Not to bad for a full rattle can application if I do say so myself.
Old 09-06-10, 09:10 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Ok so next step is to Sand with 1000 grit and then go back over with another light layer of primer. Then sand again and wipe down and sit untill I do the paint.
Old 09-06-10, 09:59 AM
1stgenvip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how long after you do the primer can it sit?? Do you have to sand it down before you paint or just wash it really good?

I do know that with just the primer on there DON'T TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH. The presser washer will leave lines where you sprayed it.lol
Old 09-06-10, 10:03 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Is300Tree2
Ok so next step is to Sand with 1000 grit and then go back over with another light layer of primer. Then sand again and wipe down and sit untill I do the paint.
No sealant?

And what do you mean about the jambs? Are you talking the door jambs, or the pillars, because you had no pics of the jambs in the photos you posted. You have to have the jambs matching, or it's going to look funky. Paper and tape off the interior, but you gotta do the jambs.

Also, since you're close to done with prep, now is the time to make any adjustments with gaps or fitment. Doing it after the last hit of sanding will make things look strange. You can do it!

My thoughts:

A dust coat to make sure there are no high spots (use an alternative color, like black).

1000 grit block sand, full wipe down.

1500 grit wet sand, full wipe down.

Sealant once you are satisfied there are no highs/lows.

Paint. Color sand. Paint. Color sand. Paint. Buff. Clear. Clear. Clear.

Big Mack
Old 09-06-10, 01:39 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
No sealant?

And what do you mean about the jambs? Are you talking the door jambs, or the pillars, because you had no pics of the jambs in the photos you posted. You have to have the jambs matching, or it's going to look funky. Paper and tape off the interior, but you gotta do the jambs.

Also, since you're close to done with prep, now is the time to make any adjustments with gaps or fitment. Doing it after the last hit of sanding will make things look strange. You can do it!

My thoughts:

A dust coat to make sure there are no high spots (use an alternative color, like black).

1000 grit block sand, full wipe down.

1500 grit wet sand, full wipe down.

Sealant once you are satisfied there are no highs/lows.

Paint. Color sand. Paint. Color sand. Paint. Buff. Clear. Clear. Clear.

Big Mack
Thanks Mac. I was a lil lost on the sealer. Thats great info. And do you reccomend and specific sealent so i can get it? Does it have to be oil based? Because my paint is oil based i believe. meant door jambs. I will def. get them done someway cause there green lol. Green jambs red car hahahaha

I will be sanding the primer then going back over. The spray paint primer dried in less than an hour. I will look into the sealer. I may be into this week before the car is painted. My buddys shop is packed and he has a engine job to finish before i can get my car in there.

Last edited by Is300Tree2; 09-06-10 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 04:59 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Does not have to be oil based, but I'd be shocked if your automotive paint was oil based. If anything, it should be acrylic or urethane based. Oil base is house paint, and is getting more and more difficult to find due to the advances in latex paints. Plus the cleanup.

No specific sealant I'd recommend, as it's your car and the system your friend uses is probably fine. Just be sure it's blocked, sanded, and wiped completely before hitting it with the sealant or you're starting over. No sense sealing in bugs or little paint boogers.

And I'd leave the jambs. Then it can remind you of Christmas year round.

Big Mack
Old 09-06-10, 05:16 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

My bad lol it is acrylic enamel. I dont know what i was thinking about??? Whats the sign for scratching ur head? lol
Old 09-06-10, 10:11 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol@ christmas colors. +1 on that hahaha
Old 09-08-10, 11:05 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

great progress... i have done a DIY garage repaint... its alot of work... keep us posted on your progress...
Old 09-09-10, 06:41 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Def. is alot of work...but worth it because of the good progress im making so for now...its worth it lol.
Old 09-09-10, 06:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

please tell me you didnt primer it outside
Old 09-10-10, 01:08 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
please tell me you didnt primer it outside
LOL i was just going to say.... this is going to be very interesting... Subscribed
Old 09-10-10, 05:39 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Yup...I primered it outside...im a "G". Just watch before you comment. The primer came out looking preety good for my beginer standards. And I test painted a hood and experimented with thinning out my paint for gun use and the spoiler I test painted came out pretty good but it also showed me that I really gotta prep my base coat good before I paint. Ill have pics up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: DIM painting the GS