Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DIM painting the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 07:02 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when you open the doors, trunk, and hood it's still green? Anyways, time to wetsand and buff because the trash is ehhh.
Old 09-25-10, 07:36 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

More pics!

I will update this after all the overspray is cleaned up, the grill back on, and its wet snaded and buffed.
Old 09-25-10, 07:47 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Did you spray everything red behind the grille like the radiator?
Old 09-25-10, 10:12 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case you didn't catch it the first time around....
Old 09-25-10, 05:57 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

yea....its my car and anything i sprayed red can easily go back to black. NO BIG DEAL. Anyway im pleased with the turnout other than the overspray cause i thought i taped up everything well enough. Dang gun jus moved everything once i sprayed. Def a learning experience. still happy! And it gets alot of looks.
Old 09-25-10, 05:59 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Default ?

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
In case you didn't catch it the first time around....
Say whats on ur mind! Im not paying attention to gay symbols. lol
Old 09-25-10, 10:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Did you spray everything red behind the grille like the radiator?
And the horn...LOL

Overall, not the best I've seen, but certainly not the worst. Definitely time to color sand and buff it out. With a color change as dramatic as this, you really should have taken the panels off, but such is life. I know you were working within the limitations you had.

I'd definitely stay off the chronic (bubonic or otherwise ) when painting, though. It makes for bad decisions.

Big Mack
Old 09-25-10, 11:10 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Is300Tree2

Hey give this d00d a break, can't you see where he's parked?!
Old 09-26-10, 02:09 AM
1stgenvip
Rookie

LOL. this guy done alright I would say. It is his first time to paint a car!! I don't think it will be the last either. If we had a video of the first time some of ya'll rode a bike I bet we would be on the floor busting it.LOL
Old 09-26-10, 06:56 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Def my first time. I still have to do the door jambs also. I did have plenty of limitations like not my own space ( garage), time, still working! etc etc. kids and more. Did save myself from the 800 maaco paint job.
Old 09-26-10, 07:01 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
And the horn...LOL

I'd definitely stay off the chronic (bubonic or otherwise ) when painting, though. It makes for bad decisions.

Big Mack
Thanks Mack but im good with my Trees. It wasnt the weeds fault. It was all me. As i mentioned before....Im a G and can live with some mess ups when im doing stuff to my car because im the one who fixes them. Although I may have blammed it on the weed before. But yea...
Old 09-26-10, 09:13 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm jsut surprised, that all the time you spent masking off the headlights, tails, etc. Could've been spent on removing those parts, and simply spraying over those voids.

The color is 'unique' for the bodystyle. I'm just wondering what your thought process was?

You started off with the right steps, butchered it with the primer which ended up all over the pieces you carefeully 'masked', and finally sprayed it quick times to get it done.

You could've taken the extra hours to get it all done right IMO, now the car looks like you tried hard, but not really.
Old 09-26-10, 10:32 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

at least you had the courage to do it yourself
i wouldve never attempted to spray the whole car myself

the paint needs to bake in too
Old 09-26-10, 01:46 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

I thought i had alot of things taped off properly but on some parts once i started spraying the air pushed up on the paper and created openings. Thats how that happened. There was no thought process...just go, research and learn. Thats how I do things. Fu%# you or like it. Thats how I do things. I am happy for now and I cant wait to do another car so I can do it 10x's better next time.

And the paint wasnt sprayed on quickly...I dont know how anyone would know that when I didnt post a video or anything! lmao. I sprayed it in long even strokes because its a single stage paint so I actually sprayed it slow and thick and no runs.

Last edited by Is300Tree2; 09-26-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 07:37 PM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Is300Tree2
I thought i had alot of things taped off properly but on some parts once i started spraying the air pushed up on the paper and created openings. Thats how that happened. There was no thought process...just go, research and learn. Thats how I do things. Fu%# you or like it. Thats how I do things. I am happy for now and I cant wait to do another car so I can do it 10x's better next time.

And the paint wasnt sprayed on quickly...I dont know how anyone would know that when I didnt post a video or anything! lmao. I sprayed it in long even strokes because its a single stage paint so I actually sprayed it slow and thick and no runs.
You wanted to hear my thoughts on your attempt, well here goes. First off, you neglected to remove headlights, tail lights, moldings, emblems (sprayed over those...how ghetto fab that appears), door handles, mirrors, hood, trunk lid, wheels, and your taping appears to have been done by a three year old. Second, your "paint booth" appears to have more contaminants floating in the air than Chernobyl. I can already see fish eyes, dust and other flaws in the paint. We won't even go in to how your lack of prep will lead to your paint peeling from the edges. What flex agent did you utilize for the bumpers and lower trim? If none, expect that to start flaking in the coming weeks/months. You brag about slow and thick, but you do realize it is better to have multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer? It is very difficult to take your attempt seriously given the shortcuts and half assed approach taken.

Quick Reply: DIM painting the GS