Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DIM painting the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 06:14 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Is300Tree2
More pics!

you left the emblems on??? why wouldn't you just remove them??? shaved rear = pimp...

that is gonna be alot of overspray to remove... good luck on the lights and getting it off the plastic... at least you can scrap it off the glass... but that rubber/plastic trim isn't going to come off...

for a first timer tho... you get props for effort... reminds me of the time i repainted my Vigor...
Old 09-27-10, 06:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i can honestly say i thought a lot worse would come of this but i give you props for doing it yourself. yea the emblems should have come off but overall i think its decent for a first time paint attempt. it could just be the pictures but the paint does look "flat" in some areas. all in all i think you did good on the first attempt. painting definitly isnt something that comes easy. keep at it!
Old 09-27-10, 06:56 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree i came out better then I thought, I expected a tragedy!

I think it would have looked much cleaner if you had gone with the original OEM color instead of Fire Hydrant Red.
Old 09-27-10, 10:31 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
You wanted to hear my thoughts on your attempt, well here goes. First off, you neglected to remove headlights, tail lights, moldings, emblems (sprayed over those...how ghetto fab that appears), door handles, mirrors, hood, trunk lid, wheels, and your taping appears to have been done by a three year old. Second, your "paint booth" appears to have more contaminants floating in the air than Chernobyl. I can already see fish eyes, dust and other flaws in the paint. We won't even go in to how your lack of prep will lead to your paint peeling from the edges. What flex agent did you utilize for the bumpers and lower trim? If none, expect that to start flaking in the coming weeks/months. You brag about slow and thick, but you do realize it is better to have multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer? It is very difficult to take your attempt seriously given the shortcuts and half assed approach taken.
Your so stupid! First I didnt ask for your thoughts, you gave them on your own. I only posted up what I did because people like to DIY stuff. Next I taped up everything...i didnt purposely spray over everything on purpose. The grill area yes because no one will see it, door handles were same color as the car so they had to be painted, i did tape over the key holes, and the mirrors also were the same color as the car, the glass I took off so what your looking at isnt the glass....its the little frame it sits on! So.....next on to were I sprayed. The area was not a booth, it was a garage, and I had no where to paint it. Also there arent any fish eyes. There is alot of **** in the hood because stuff from the ceiling flaked off after I painted but its already coming out of the paint because its raingin here in MD. And about my layers I already had a thin layer of color paint layed down before i put on the thick and last layer of color. Please just ****...do yourself and ME a favor. The whole point of the paint job was because it was cheap. I googled paint job and a million 50$ paint threads came up so I decided to tackle one. ANd minus the virtual views here everyone that sees the car loves it. They actually get to touch and feel the car and see it up close ohhhohohohhhhhhh :0 ! Unless you have a ****ing 3d computer screen with real life picture or some technology I never have heard of please....just keep it to yourself when you have no clue as to what your talking about. ANd I never NEVER asked for YOUR opinoin..."thin layers = better"...let me find out you invented painting! LMAO

Last edited by Is300Tree2; 09-27-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 10:32 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

And as far as the emblems I knew I wanted to do something with them like chrome or badgless....couldnt decide so thats why I painted over them for the time being.

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I agree i came out better then I thought, I expected a tragedy!

I think it would have looked much cleaner if you had gone with the original OEM color instead of Fire Hydrant Red.
Thanks and my only options for color were black, white, and the red. I had a white one already and I didnt wanna do black. Red is my favorite color and its the easiest to duplicate with the fact being that i used rustoluem paint. The original color was the ugly turd green and my car is way sexy red. I have gotten compliments from all types of people so far so im happy. All that matters. It will look cleaner once im done cleaning the over spray...

Last edited by Is300Tree2; 09-27-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 11:21 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread would have been epic had you painted it a neon color... just sayin
Old 09-27-10, 01:08 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

I tried to match the color with my personality and my look. I mean I had my girl look at me and the spoiler painted before i settled on the color and her and everyone else agreed that it looked good with me. Kinda hard to picture that but go head and try it next your own car lol. I think ima try to find a cheap SC and paint that with some flakes in the paint and a nice color. Maybe i'll let everyone here pick the color.
Old 09-27-10, 02:05 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

We vote poop green with gold flakes. Unanimously.
Old 09-27-10, 03:22 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Next project vision:

...when he's done painting it:

Old 09-27-10, 03:48 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

That poor SC
Old 09-27-10, 05:17 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Wink

First I didnt ask for your thoughts...
Say whats on ur mind! Im not paying attention...
Umm...you sure your trees aren't affecting anything, mang? You asked, he responded. I've already given my thoughts, but wanted to point this out just to clarify.

Big Mack
Old 09-28-10, 05:25 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's keep this thread as civil as humanly possible folks...It's been educational for all, from the initiative he took in doing it without much experience, to his admitted mistakes along the line, ...so I'd hate to have to close it because comments became derisive.

Hopefully there's enough info in here to help many others considering this, to either go ahead and do it or reconsider, and leave it to the pros.
Old 10-03-10, 02:32 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok... here is some feedback...

1) You worked hard and learned a lot!! Great. If anyone on here every painted a car then you would know it's a lot of work.

2) You have to address those jambs one way or another just tape off and spray them. It will take at most a good long weekend.

3) Easy fix on the rear lights. Pick up a 3M Head light restoration kit.. no really!!! It will clean those tail lights and they will look like new.
We cleaned so many over spray jobs with the same process used with that kit.

Hats off for your effort...
Old 10-03-10, 02:44 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

you guys are a bunch of haters... Give him a break... Its his car...

Stop taking up bandwidth by posting useless comments seriously..
Old 10-04-10, 07:54 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Please invest some money in a better respirator for your next painting project. I will not repeat what others have pointed out,as it's been covered.Good luck

Quick Reply: DIM painting the GS