Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 11:45 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference?

What is the difference between polish, compound, scratch x 2.0, and glazes?
Old 09-21-10, 03:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

All polishing products are essentially the same, except for the size of the particles. The smaller they are, the higher the potential is for a smooth finish (at the expense of polishing time). So a rubbing compound has larger particles vs. a polish designed for the highest possible gloss, which has smaller particles.

Now there are combinations, many "wax" products contain both a polish and wax/silicone/other. Some products contain absolutely no polishing agents at all, so you if you use them, your paint needs to be 100% clean and smooth.

Glazes contain compounds that are specifically designed to bond and fill in the micro scratches and imperfections of the surface.
Old 09-21-10, 03:15 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

So if I was to detail my car I would do it this way?

WASH - CLAY BAR - WASH - POLISH - GLAZE - WASH -WAX?
Old 09-21-10, 03:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Yep, you got the process correct. Except I don't think it's necessary to wash after you glaze. When I do it, I go from glaze to wax right away, not sure if that's the correct method but it works for me. But it is very important that you never do anything to the paint if there is even a hit of dust or dirt on it.

On claybar use, I don't like it and don't every use them. I prefer to use a high quality polish. But other people swear by the process. It just seems to me that claybar-ing is something you only need to do if the paint has been severely neglected and is loaded up with contaminants. It seems that people go overboard and clay a car that really doesn't need it. There is always the risk of scratching the paint, which is why I don't like it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-10, 07:16 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

One more question what is the difference between sealent and wax?

Also this is my first time using polish and a DA...any tips?

Last edited by Zinda; 09-22-10 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 01:48 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sealant is synthetic polymer that bonds onto the paint and adds shine

wax is usually a wax(e.g. carnauba) that sits on top of the sealant to add depth.

not always like this, but that's the rule of thumb.
Old 10-05-10, 11:42 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Compounding - Compounds are formulas of lubricants, solvents, water and abrasive minerals in either a liquid or paste construction. Compounds are designed to remove (abrade away) a portion of the top paint or clear coat layer which contain sanding swirls, scratches, water spots or blemishes. They are available in many different grades of abrasiveness or "cut" depending on the severity of the problem to be corrected. Compounds typically leave the surface dull. This surface dullness is called haze or compounding lines and is removed by polishing with increasingly less abrasive polishes.

Polishing - Polishing deep cleans the paint, removes minor oxidation, old wax & minor swirls, and rejuvenates the top paint layer. It prepares the surface for waxing and insures a uniform, high-gloss shine.

Scratch X - Scratch X 2.0 is an ultra-fine, jewelers rouge formula capable of removing most swirls and light scratches in painted surfaces. This is not a cover-up product. Most scratches can be permanently removed by it. Just remember that Scratch X 2.0 is an "Undo" product for life's little scratches.

Glazes - They were designed to enhance the paints gloss. If your car is new or has a "like-new" finish, polish with Glaze and follow with your favorite wax or sealant.