Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

SGM Prep & Sealant recommendations? (with Pics if possible)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10 | 04:13 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Question SGM Prep & Sealant recommendations? (with Pics if possible)

Good afternoon,

I own a 2008 SGM IS350. I mostly utilize Meguiars/3M products for prep, but Zaino All-in-one, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z8, etc. as part of my sealant process. I really like the Zaino line, but I'm considering some other options this fall.

I guess my only complaint about the Zaino line would be the number of coats (but that seems pretty standard across most products if you want depth), and that I don't feel it has excellent depth. I feel like I get a nice gloss and great protection, but I don't feel it brings out the metallic flecks in my car (which maybe isn't possible?).

I know everyone probably has their own personal product preference, so I guess I'm looking for something a little more substantial then "I like _____".

Do you know a product that works well on the SGM color (or a similar charcoal gray metallic finish)?

If so, could you provide some photos? It's not that I don't believe you, but I know everyone has their personal preference and my budget (and time) are fairly limited so it's not realistic for me to try several different products this fall. Plus a picture is really worth a thousand words ;-)

I apologize in advance if this post seems like I'm being difficult, but I sincerely appreciate your participation in this thread.
Old 09-29-10 | 10:51 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

The products you mentioned work very well but as you noted Zaino recommends so many steps that really overlap each other quite a bit. I generally suggest doing a full detail 1 - 2 times per year and then a much simpler maintenance routine that fits your schedule. For most people it's just a wash and sealant at least every 4 - 6 months.

For a full detail I recommend doing all the steps listed below. For a maintenance detail washing and sealing the paint is really all that is needed.

Wash & Dry - Where most swirls and scratches come from so always use good technique and quality products

Clay Bar - deep cleans the paint, best used before polishing
DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo

Polishing - Arguably the most important step in the process. If you have a buffer it's a huge help for this step as buffers can really work the polish in effectively. This combo is outstanding and will really bring back that deep shine!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 (orange or cyan pad)
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 (white or tangerine pad)

Protection - A sealant will provide durable protection and one coat is all you need. This sealant looks amazing on all colors while providing durable protection. If you want to do multiple layers you can but it's not necessary.
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger

We have a great example of a silver grey metallic car being detailed with the Wet Diamond. There are tons of pictures here so scroll about 1/2 of the way down to see the Wet Diamond being applied and there are plenty more shots below that. You can also read our reviews on Blackfire Wet Diamond here, where 33 out of 33 customers would buy it again! We are also offering 20% off on all products (except tools, DI Packages and sale items) with the coupon code Fall2010 through 9/30.
Old 09-29-10 | 11:13 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply. I generally do a full detail twice a year (Spring and Fall).

Perhaps I should focus more on the polishing stage. I generally have used Meguiars ScratchX2.0 and 3m Rubbing Compound (when necessary). I used one of the Zaino PC products, but it was worthless; One of the few Zaino products I didn't care for.

I do have a PC7424, and it does work wonders. Thanks for your reply and your links. I will definitely do some research on the the products you've recommended (and quickly since your sale ends soon *wink*)

If anyone else has some (post polish/sealant) pictures they can share that would be great. I'm really interested in the dark gray metallic finish.

Thanks again for your time!
Old 09-29-10 | 12:09 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Have you tried any of the polishes and sealants by Griots? If not, I highly recommend it. I am a huge fan of their products and I am slowly filling up my garage with their goods. =)

Check out their site:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/

One sealant that I used is their One-Step Sealant which acts like a gentle polish but also protects your paint. Results were very nice....I say it brings out the depth and clarity of your paint. This should bring out the depth of your metallic in your paint.

For best results...

Use their clay (amazing stuff)
apply the one-step sealant or any of their polishes depending on what level of swirl marks you have
The finish it off with their best of show wax

I have done this twice this past summer and my paint was looking flawless.

Here's a pic after I apply the paint sealant. 100x better in sunlight.
Old 09-30-10 | 02:51 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

klasse twins make the metallic flakes on my SGM really pop.
Old 09-30-10 | 08:50 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Protection - A sealant will provide durable protection and one coat is all you need. This sealant looks amazing on all colors while providing durable protection. If you want to do multiple layers you can but it's not necessary.
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger
Originally Posted by Jetfire
klasse twins make the metallic flakes on my SGM really pop.
i do a combo of the two... after polishing, I use the klasse twins and then top with Blackfire Wet Diamond... end up with about 5 coats... another good sealant i found was Four Stars Ultimate Paint Protection with Polycharge also...
Old 09-30-10 | 12:28 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rebs
Thanks for the reply. I generally do a full detail twice a year (Spring and Fall).

Perhaps I should focus more on the polishing stage. I generally have used Meguiars ScratchX2.0 and 3m Rubbing Compound (when necessary). I used one of the Zaino PC products, but it was worthless; One of the few Zaino products I didn't care for.

I do have a PC7424, and it does work wonders. Thanks for your reply and your links. I will definitely do some research on the the products you've recommended (and quickly since your sale ends soon *wink*)

If anyone else has some (post polish/sealant) pictures they can share that would be great. I'm really interested in the dark gray metallic finish.

Thanks again for your time!
Glad to hear the info was helpful. Zaino makes some quality sealants but their polishes are lacking. Scratch X is decent if you need to apply a polish by hand. Therefore I think using the M105 and M205 would provide a noticeable upgrade. Polishing is arguably the most important step in the entire process because it creates the shine. Conversely sealants and waxes can really only enhance the way the paint already looks. If you get the M105 and the M205 make sure you have the pads I recommended or something similar. After polishing the Wet Diamond should should help add more depth and gloss to the paint. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-30-10 | 05:08 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Glad to hear the info was helpful. Zaino makes some quality sealants but their polishes are lacking. Scratch X is decent if you need to apply a polish by hand. Therefore I think using the M105 and M205 would provide a noticeable upgrade. Polishing is arguably the most important step in the entire process because it creates the shine. Conversely sealants and waxes can really only enhance the way the paint already looks. If you get the M105 and the M205 make sure you have the pads I recommended or something similar. After polishing the Wet Diamond should should help add more depth and gloss to the paint. Let me know if you have any questions.
Ok, I just ordered. Results to come in a couple weeks.
Old 09-30-10 | 06:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

You can't go wrong with Greg or Detailed Image. They have the best CS I've ever encountered online

Make sure to post results
Old 09-30-10 | 09:50 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Ha....no love for Griots. Missing out fellas! Happy detailing!
Old 10-01-10 | 12:16 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rebs
Ok, I just ordered. Results to come in a couple weeks.
Thank you for the order, it has already been shipped out and you will be e-mailed the tracking #. I look forward to hearing about your results.

Originally Posted by eyezack87
You can't go wrong with Greg or Detailed Image. They have the best CS I've ever encountered online

Make sure to post results
I very much appreciate the kind words. We work hard to provide an excellent shopping experience before, during and after any sale.

Enjoy your weekend!