Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Good wax that's not too expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 08:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Good wax that's not too expensive?

Hi guys!

First off, I want to thank this section of our lovely CL forum for providing so much info. Thanks to you guys I learned what clay is and I bought a bar of blackfire clay which has made my cars really nice and clean.

Now, it's time to upgrade to some better wax. I have been using some Walmart TurtleWax wax (the green bottle) for years.

I’m wondering how this product is looked at by you guys (the experts in car detailing)?

Is there a better paste wax out there that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? And I also would like to know what makes a wax better or worse!

Thanks!

Last edited by 97-SC300; 10-14-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 09:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Personally I would never buy a product made by turtlewax after hearing all the horror stories of some of their products damaging peoples finishes, wheels, trim, etc. If you want a good wax that offers good protection and durability your going to have to order it from somewhere, their really isn't much over the counter that does a very good job of protecting your car unless you like applying it every other week. Meguiers NXT2 is probably the best over the counter sealant available in most places

Of the waxes I have tried I would say Collinite 476S is a excellent inexpensive wax that is among the best in protection and durability. A wax is carnuba based and in most cases does not last very long or protect all that well, Collinite is the exception. Poorboy's Natty blue is a very good inexpensive wax if you are just looking for looks although it does not last all that long. Sealants last longer and protect better but usually don't look as good/wet as wax's. For sealants even though it is kind of pricey I have heard good things about Blackfire Wet Diamond. Zaino is a excellent sealant but pricey.

One thing you have to remember about the better more expensive stuff you have to order is that it usually lasts much longer on your finish then cheaper over the counter stuff meaning you will use much less then something cheap you get at Wal Mart you have to keep applying once every week to 4 weeks. In the long run even paying double or triple what you normally pay for cheap over the counter stuff for something high quality will actually save you money because a single bottle of high quality stuff can last several years compared to something you have to keep replacing every 6 months to a year.
Old 10-14-10, 10:36 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was gonna recommend collinite too. it's cheap and durable.
Old 10-14-10, 10:54 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend you Collinite 845 over 476. Reason being, there is a slight learning curve for 476. Apply it too thick or let it set for too long and you'll need some arms of steel with the touch of a feather in order to remove it without marring your finish. 845 is a hybrid of nuba and sealant so you get the best of both worlds. Very good durability with a slight glow that nuba's generally have. 845 is also super easy to apply and remove as well unlike its brother most of the time
Old 10-15-10, 04:53 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collinite is the way to go.
Old 10-15-10, 07:10 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Thank you for asking this question as I'm been using TurtleWax myself so look like need to move on to better product.
Old 10-15-10, 07:27 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using TFP for years, great product but not available in stores. Other brands I've used were poorboy's, meguiar's nxt, and mother's and they were all good. I don't use turtlewax anymore.
Old 10-15-10, 08:35 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are my recommendations for best values for a sealant and a wax.

Sealants
ALL SEALANTS are on Sale at Detailed Image through 10/21 plus you get 2x free microfiber towels)
Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal - Sale Price $12.79 for a 32oz bottle. It is a polish and sealant in one bottle so it cleans and protects in one step. Easily one of the very best values on the market.

Wax
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - outstanding shine and a reasonable price
Old 10-15-10, 09:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Klass AIO is also a very good sealant that is not too expensive.
Old 10-15-10, 11:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

On lighter colored cars I prefer the look of a sealant like NXT 2.0, Klasse, or Zaino. These lighter colors show well with a lot of reflectivity which sealants deliver. Darker colors seem to look better with carnaubas like Collinite or Meguiars High-Tech Yellow Wax, for example, as the carnauba seems to add depth and warmth to the colors.

This is all just a matter of personal preference though. My "goto" for lighter colors is Meg's NXT 2.0 or #21 v2.0 and for darker colors, Meg's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax or Collinite 476.
Old 10-15-10, 11:10 AM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Everyone who mentioned Collinite is dead on. Cheap, durable, and gives an underrated shine to the paint. Darkens the paint a bit (the 845 does at least) but thats not a bad thing. I really love the 845 and this is me, but i let it sit on the paint for about an hour and then buffed it off. No problems whatsoever and you'll love the water beading it gives.
Old 10-15-10, 11:11 AM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
On lighter colored cars I prefer the look of a sealant like NXT 2.0, Klasse, or Zaino. These lighter colors show well with a lot of reflectivity which sealants deliver. Darker colors seem to look better with carnaubas like Collinite or Meguiars High-Tech Yellow Wax, for example, as the carnauba seems to add depth and warmth to the colors.

This is all just a matter of personal preference though. My "goto" for lighter colors is Meg's NXT 2.0 or #21 v2.0 and for darker colors, Meg's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax or Collinite 476.
great advice from jfelbab as usual
Old 10-15-10, 04:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

What is wrong with turtle wax if u dont mind me asking?
Old 10-15-10, 05:12 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

TW, IMHO, underperforms for the money. Mediocre protection, durability and shine. TW appears to be designed for and marketed to the weekend waxer who does his car maybe once a year.

Again, this is just my opinion.

If you like it, use it, as it is better than nothing.
Old 10-15-10, 05:32 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
What is wrong with turtle wax if u dont mind me asking?
what jfelbab said. Turtle wax doesn't last long, its hard to apply/remove, and for the same amount of money, you can get a much better wax that's much easier to remove/apply.

Quick Reply: Good wax that's not too expensive?