Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Looking for a detail kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 08:40 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Looking for a detail kit

Im looking for someplace to pick up a basic/moderate detail kit. I need something that can be done by hand. Would like your basics like wash, clay, polish, wax/sealer (I have a bottle of BladkFire Wet Diamond and love it) maybe a quick detailer or something for wipe downs and upkeep. Also something to clean/upkeep my interior like leather/upholstery cleaner and some kind of protectent/conditioner. Im sort of new to the whole detail thing and have been looking around. I see a lot of kits on websites but most use products that are made to be machine applied. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-16-10, 05:43 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, ready for an ENORMOUSLY long post to get you started? okay, good.

Starting off with the Washing and Drying Starter Package youre going to get everything you need to do a basic "wash" of your car. Just add 3 buckets (1 for washing, 1 for rinsing your wash media and 1 for wheels/tires).

Moving on, Optimum No Rinse (also referred to as ONR) is an EXTREMELY useful product. It can be used as a clay lube, quick detailer, or a no rinse wash (if you dont wanna bring the hose and buckets out, but still get a great clean). Along with the ONR as a clay lube, using a simple Fine Grade Clay should get rid of mostly any imperfections in your clear. If your car is older and has more stubborn contaminants, a Medium Grade Clay should be used. I'd stick to the fine grade for now though.

Now that you have an entirely clean slate to work with, I personally suggest you continue using the Blackfire Wet Diamond as a sealant. It is RAVED about and there arent any products that can do a better job when applied by hand.

To finish it all up though, and bring out a deep, glossy shine, i suggest topping the BFWD with a carnuba wax. You can pick this based on preference and how much youre willing to spend (some waxes cost $70 and up) but for a basic carnuba id suggest Poorboys World Nattys Blue Wax which is formulated specifically for dark colored paint and will bring out extreme depth.

So for exterior care this should get you started pretty well. I always suggest people new to detailing check out The Auto Detailing Guides at Detailed Image. They have answered and written guides on how to properly do any type of detailing under the sun. It was and still is a wealth of information to me as i continue to find more and more methods to detail my cars.

Unfortunately, i have no experience with leather care, so i cant comment on what products to use. I'm sure any simple Lexol product would work well, but i cant say for certain.

Well, that was longwinded. I hope you get everything you need and if you decide to purchase from the links above from Detailed Image, there are always new specials on the homepage that range from free products to discounts on shipping, etc. If none of those suit your fancy you can always use the CL code "10offCL" for 10% off.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-16-10, 12:37 PM
saintsaens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had great experience with the Ultima products that can be bought through Autopia.

It's quite easy to apply and is significantly less complicated that some of the other techniques. It has looked great on my SGM IS 350. I can finish the entire process including clay bar, wax, and sealant in about 1.5 hours.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1100.html

Review:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...products-2.htm
Old 10-16-10, 02:49 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

The kit I recommend is our BLACKFIRE Clay, Polish & Shine Kit. It has everything one would need when working by hand. I see you got the BFWD, the extra one could be use as a Christmas gift this holiday season to someone you know loves taking care their car.

Last edited by Angelo; 10-16-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 03:02 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget about our FREE shipping going on right now till Monday morning.
Old 10-16-10, 09:39 PM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

I cant even tell you the amount of Detailing items i've accumulated within 3 months trying to search for the right thing. But once i got the Blackfire stuff yesterday and used it today, all i can say is, WOW

The Blackfire items are definitely user friendly. And i know most products say they are "user friendly, can be applied by hand" but either they arent user friendly or they dont give that good of results by hand.

And i gotta say the GEP is a damn good product, and this is coming from someone who isnt usually wowed by finishing polishes. The GEP gives an incredible wetness to the paint and im not even a big fan of the whole "wet look" but GEP doesnt give the typical wetness to the paint. It's not a greasy wet look but rather like a glassy type of wet, like a marble floor? Then topped with Wet Diamond and you have a very fluid looking paint. Not to mention the GEP has glazes that will hide some of those small swirls or scratches so that in itself shows you how its directed for the weekend detailer. I used GEP by hand

So to sum up, if you said you really like the Wet Diamond then give the other Blackfire products a try, i know i will.
Old 10-17-10, 01:49 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

danthedj had some good suggestions from our site but I'll add a few more. We have hand picked out several kits that combine great works that work well together at a discounted price.

Washing and Drying
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - I pretty much always recommend a fine grade bar
DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo

Polish
The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is a great choice for a one step polishing process.

Sealant
Blackfire Wet Diamond that you already have.

Wax - This step is optional if you already used a sealant.
Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - amazing value on a top quality wax

Quick Detailer
Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (Anti-Static) Quick Detailer - helps you quickly clean and shine your entire exterior.

Interior
Cleaner
303 Cleaner & Spot Remover - very versatile and highly effective. Use this on your carpets, dashboard, doors, console, trim, etc.

Protectant
303 Aerospace Protectant - Protects rubber, vinyl, plastic, leather, etc.

If you want an all purpose quick detailer that can clean the interior try the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. It's not great at removing stains but it's perfect for quick cleanings.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Old 10-20-10, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

greg that whole lot is probably $300+?
Old 10-21-10, 12:57 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
greg that whole lot is probably $300+?
It certainly doesn't cost that much for the products I suggested. With your Club Lexus discount (10offCL) you can get them for about $85 or more depending on what you select. If you need any more advice please don't hesitate to let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-21-10, 07:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude... if you're looking for detail gear... why not just ask to look at my kit i keep in my trunk? BUT~ you gotta remind me next time you see me... say, 'hey can i see your detail gear?'