Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

repaint or just clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 08:54 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repaint or just clearcoat?

today i notice some bird etchs and they are cracking on my hood. I try scatches remove and polish to remove them but not come off. so I finally decided to wet sand with 2k grids. I sand them almost all the way to the paint and they are still little visilble of the cracks, I don't want to send more because I will hit the paint anytime.
then I repolish and wax, they look ok but the trade off is that I see two small spot not shining, I guess because I went too deep at that spot.
so, can I just get a clearcoat paint only or do I have to get my hood repaint to look like before?
(if I did not wet sand them does the warranty cover for this? just want to know)
thanks for any advice.
Tuyen.
Old 10-20-10, 09:07 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably had a strike through into the color coat. Most of the time, its very difficult to use a clearcoat pen to mimic the thickness of OEM clear. You're probably better off taking it to a shop so you don't mess up further since you have to sand down the clearcoat paint you apply

Of course, you don't HAVE to do anything at all. You can just keep waxing it and stuff often to lower the chance of the color coat degrading. Its more or less up to you
Old 10-20-10, 09:23 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

If it just lacks a shine, maybe you should consider bringing it to a professional detailer, and have them get a go at it before you do anything else? They would have more tools, more powerful tools really, and maybe something that you couldn't do to get that shine back. As for the warranty, I don't believe paint is ever covered.
Old 10-20-10, 09:52 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

thanks guys. I will bring them to a pro detailer to let them take a look.
Old 10-21-10, 04:47 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know where you're at in Texas, I might know someone who can help you.
Old 10-29-10, 09:25 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

VT, I have run into the same problem...had etching on my driver side back quarter panel right under the gas cover. A drip line etched into my clear. I got it buffed out but might have struck through a bit. When you look at it straight on you cant tell...but when the light hits it at an angle, it looks different from the rest of the body (a tad lighter).

I fear that getting that section recleared is going to cost in excess of $1,000. I am double waxing instead to ensure an extra coat of protection. Hope this works through the life of the car....as I plan to keep it for at least 10 years. It is garaged both at work and at home, so I am sure that helps.

Predictions from those who have experience with this would be helpful to the original poster and me.
Old 10-30-10, 03:16 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

^ on average it would cost $300-500 to de-trim,prep and clear a full quarter,but that problem area can also be spot painted,the important thing is to know how to do it and what materials to use to get undetectable results, I've done countless spot repairs for few local dealerships from keyed whole side to dents and scrapes and always try to leave as much of factory paint as possible and it's alot easier to duplicate factory orangepeel texture on a spot than a full panel resprayed
Old 10-30-10, 08:24 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by exvelocity
^ on average it would cost $300-500 to de-trim,prep and clear a full quarter,but that problem area can also be spot painted,the important thing is to know how to do it and what materials to use to get undetectable results, I've done countless spot repairs for few local dealerships from keyed whole side to dents and scrapes and always try to leave as much of factory paint as possible and it's alot easier to duplicate factory orangepeel texture on a spot than a full panel resprayed
Thanks EXV...how much should this cost me? How can I find someone...or how will I know if someone has the skills to spot fix this? WIll a good body shop know what to do? Again, expected cost?
Old 11-01-10, 08:21 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Those are pretty tough questions,without seeing the damage I can't tell you what it will cost,without talking to alot of local people who had good experience with local shops there is not much you can do but hope or try to get on local car forums and ask around.If you feel like taking a drive to Jax Florida, I'm positive I can fix your paint problem.

mypostmaymagicallydissapearsoreadfast,IhavenoticedallmypoststhatmentionthatIcanfixsorbuildsomethingorImentionthatIhaveashoparegone,thisiswhyIdonthangaroundhere,youcanfindmeonsupraforumsdotcomanytime
Old 11-01-10, 10:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Those are pretty tough questions,without seeing the damage I can't tell you what it will cost,without talking to alot of local people who had good experience with local shops there is not much you can do but hope or try to get on local car forums and ask around.If you feel like taking a drive to Jax Florida, I'm positive I can fix your paint problem.

mypostmaymagicallydissapearsoreadfast,IhavenoticedallmypoststhatmentionthatIcanfixsorbuildsomethingorImentionthatIhaveashoparegone,thisiswhyIdonthangaroundhere,youcanfindmeonsupraforumsdotcomanytime
pssst
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...m-sponsor.html

and to an extent, supraforums does the same thing
Old 11-06-10, 08:30 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

lol, I am not a detailer. It seems like you have to be a sponsor to give a professional advice,is all I'm saying . What's better,advice from a pro or someone who has no clue on a subject just information he read somewhere on internet?
Old 11-07-10, 12:44 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I am not a detailer. It seems like you have to be a sponsor to give a professional advice,is all I'm saying . What's better,advice from a pro or someone who has no clue on a subject just information he read somewhere on internet?
Says who? I give advice all the time. Its just that you can't say that you'll do it for a fee and stuff just like the rules say
Old 11-08-10, 11:39 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

I'm not talking about detailing or which wax is the best or how to clean a dog poop stain,anyone with common sense should be able to figure out what product to use to wash or wax a car.

I'm talking about how to take things apart,fabricate parts,body mods,paint,body work and related questions or problems.