Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What do you do after you clay your windows?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 03:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
Default What do you do after you clay your windows?

Is there some sort of sealant or window wax you should put on your windows after you have clayed them?

Can anyone suggest a superior product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thank you guys!
Old 10-24-10, 12:30 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use any quality sealant on your glass to protect it. I don't recommend using a wax on the glass. If you want a glass specific product I highly recommend the Glass Science Rain Clear. For $5.99 you get two outstanding products in one kit. You get the glass scrub which really deep cleans the glass. The Glass Scrub that comes in this kit is a must have for me. The Rain Clear Gel is used next to repel all forms of moisture and it makes driving in bad weather so much easier.
Old 10-24-10, 03:25 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I sometimes wax my windows, most of the time i use Stoner's glass cleaner. I find this stuff [even in winter] works great for creating a 'non-stick' layer on the windows, thus water/snow just beading right off.
Old 10-25-10, 07:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Glass doesn't need protection like your paint does. Clean glass clears water well and doesn't get streaky from wiper abrasion like wax typically will. It also will not develop wiper chatter which often happens if you wax your glass.

Another thing to remember is that the side windows on most Lexus vehicles have a permanent water-repellant coating applied in the manufacturing process so don't use anything abrasive on them or you risk remove some or all of the coating. To my knowledge, this coating is not on the windshield though.
Old 10-25-10, 08:51 AM
mario@adam
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend Adam's Glass Sealant to seal your windows.

Here is the link to our videos and description of the benefits of sealing your glass.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-498-a...s-sealant.aspx
Old 10-26-10, 05:35 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always recommend a light polish when needed on your glass. One has to remember like jfelbab has said some glass out there do come with some type of coating on them when new, but over time it's wearing off and one has to polish to remove some stains or minor water spots, I recommend using AutoGlym Glass Polish to keep your glass crystal clear and a smear-free finish.
Old 10-26-10, 06:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the responses!

Someone mentioned any good sealant would work? What kind of sealant are we talking about here? Can you name a few specific products that I should look at and a place where I can buy/order them?

Thank you again and again!
Old 10-29-10, 07:41 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I've always used Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax on my windows and windshield. It acts like Rain X, but lasts much longer.
Old 10-29-10, 08:46 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Thanks for the responses!

Someone mentioned any good sealant would work? What kind of sealant are we talking about here? Can you name a few specific products that I should look at and a place where I can buy/order them?

Thank you again and again!
Yes you can use virtually any sealant on your glass. I often will use the same sealant I use on my paint to protect the glass. My favorite sealant is the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. On the paint it helps add more gloss and depth with durable protection. For the glass it repels all forms of moisture very well!

Two other great options are the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal and Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal. The Opti-Seal is awesome because it's the fastest application you can have of a sealant for the paint, glass, wheels, etc. Just mist it on the applicator or desired surface and buff it on in a circular motion and you are done. It dries totally clear so no removal is needed. It looks great and protects for months to come. The Optimum Poli-Seal is an AIO (All In One) which means it cleans and protects in one step. It has a chemical polish in it that helps remove contaminants and oxidation in the paint. It also leaves a coating of sealant behind to protect it as well. If you want a one step detailing process this is the best type of product to use in my opinion. Buff this one on wait 10+ minutes and wipe off the excess product with a clean microfiber towel, just like most other sealants.

All three of these options will work great and are available at www.DetailedImage.com. We offer 10% off on all three with the coupon code 10offCL. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-29-10, 09:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Yes you can use virtually any sealant on your glass. I often will use the same sealant I use on my paint to protect the glass. My favorite sealant is the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. On the paint it helps add more gloss and depth with durable protection. For the glass it repels all forms of moisture very well!

Two other great options are the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal and Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal. The Opti-Seal is awesome because it's the fastest application you can have of a sealant for the paint, glass, wheels, etc. Just mist it on the applicator or desired surface and buff it on in a circular motion and you are done. It dries totally clear so no removal is needed. It looks great and protects for months to come. The Optimum Poli-Seal is an AIO (All In One) which means it cleans and protects in one step. It has a chemical polish in it that helps remove contaminants and oxidation in the paint. It also leaves a coating of sealant behind to protect it as well. If you want a one step detailing process this is the best type of product to use in my opinion. Buff this one on wait 10+ minutes and wipe off the excess product with a clean microfiber towel, just like most other sealants.

All three of these options will work great and are available at www.DetailedImage.com. We offer 10% off on all three with the coupon code 10offCL. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Thank you so much for all your help! I will be ordering the blackfire wet diamond pretty soon before winter hits! Roughly how much would shipping be for something like this to 60073?
Old 10-30-10, 06:56 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Thank you in advance for the support, it's greatly appreciated. For just one item it's probably about $8+, but if you order more items it will only go up very slightly. We have free s/h quotes on our site before the check out page if you want an exact figure.
Old 11-03-10, 09:08 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I just wanted to thank the guys over at Detailed Image!

I ordered my 32oz. of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and have received it this morning! Very excited to use this stuff before the winter months come near.

These guys truly have some of the best service I have encountered thus far. Very easy to talk to, always willing to explain things, no matter how silly some of the question might be.

Very professional service, from the follow up emails, to the tracking info, and so on and so forth.The shipping was lightning fast too!

Thanks again guys! I'll definitely come back for more!
Old 11-03-10, 01:44 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I just wanted to thank the guys over at Detailed Image!

I ordered my 32oz. of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and have received it this morning! Very excited to use this stuff before the winter months come near.

These guys truly have some of the best service I have encountered thus far. Very easy to talk to, always willing to explain things, no matter how silly some of the question might be.

Very professional service, from the follow up emails, to the tracking info, and so on and so forth.The shipping was lightning fast too!

Thanks again guys! I'll definitely come back for more!
We greatly appreciate your business and your kind words. I'm confident you are going to love the BFWD and we look forward to hearing about your results. Take care!