Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning tire shine off the tread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 09:38 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning tire shine off the tread

I detailed the car the other day and I noticed that some of the tire shine got on the tread, basically right where the sidewall meets the treaded part. What is the best way to remove this? I drove around in the rain for a while but that didn't seem to help.

I have noticed that my tires have lost traction rather easily in some instances where they definitely should not be!
Old 10-24-10, 09:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by GSLexi
I have noticed that my tires have lost traction rather easily in some instances where they definitely should not be!
I would check the rest of the tire. A small bit of tire shine should not cause you to lose traction unless you're riding solely on the outer portion of the tire, in which case you need to have your alignment checked. In any case, you can get a brush and scrub the tires with some degreaser. This will remove the tire shine residue. I would recommend Dawn dish soap for this, as it should be safe for your wheels where it will inevitably end up. DO NOT DO THIS WHEN YOUR WHEELS ARE HOT. You run the risk of anything affecting the finish when you do. Be sure to immediately rinse them as well. Letting even a mild detergent like this rest on the wheels is just asking for a problem.

Big Mack
Old 10-24-10, 10:09 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
A small bit of tire shine should not cause you to lose traction unless you're riding solely on the outer portion of the tire, in which case you need to have your alignment checked.
Thanks for the quick reply big mack. I should have mentioned that I have experienced slight traction loss through corners. Which is why I feel as though the tire shine on the edge of the sidewall/treaded area is the cause. Though I am not sure. I will give the dishwashing soap a try.
Old 10-25-10, 07:25 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd expect a couple of hard corners on dry pavement would wear off any tire shine on the tread.
Old 10-25-10, 12:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GSLexi
Thanks for the quick reply big mack. I should have mentioned that I have experienced slight traction loss through corners. Which is why I feel as though the tire shine on the edge of the sidewall/treaded area is the cause. Though I am not sure. I will give the dishwashing soap a try.
It's not the tire shine.

The outer most edge where the sidewall meets the beginning of the tread pattern never makes contact.

Put on some tire shine and drive for a few seconds, and see where the tire reaches and where the contact patch is [the dirt/gravel/dust/whatever on the tire].
Old 10-25-10, 04:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That is some tenacious tire shine. What brand is it, if you don't mind? I usually overlap a little onto the treads and it's gone with a bit of driving.
Old 10-26-10, 05:40 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to wash it off then try our Eimann Fabrik Tire Cleaner, it will not only removes surface dirt on the tire, it penetrates into the tire's pores to lift and remove imbedded road oils, micro-grime and old dressing residues. It deep cleans and yet contains no acids, no petroleum solvents and no butyl of any kind! Give a shot if you don't want to be driving around trying to remove the tire shine on the tire.