Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New to detailing. Help me pick out some products

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 03:38 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to detailing. Help me pick out some products

I have a starfire pearl IS350

1 Whats a good spay on wipe off product to use between washs? Right now i use turtle wax ice but i want to start using somthing i can buy by the gallon. So far i see Meguiar's D155 Last Touch Spray Detailer or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Spray (Anti-Static). Are they both decent choices?

2 Clay bars. Does brand matter?

3 Polish Im looking at Meguiar's Mirror Glaze No. 83 Dual Action Polish

4 Wax or sealant. Im thinking BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Can i apply this with my PC 7424?

5 Porter cable 7424 kit with some red and white pads.

Any other Pads or products im missing or should consider instead of whats listed above?
Old 10-27-10, 04:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by redline201
I have a starfire pearl IS350

1 Whats a good spay on wipe off product to use between washs? Right now i use turtle wax ice but i want to start using somthing i can buy by the gallon. So far i see Meguiar's D155 Last Touch Spray Detailer or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Spray (Anti-Static). Are they both decent choices?
I like and use Meguiar's Last Touch but I prefer M135 for dust and fingerprint removal. Another option is the soon to be released Express Spray Wax which will be available in gallon sizes. This is like Ultimate Quik Wax which is also a wipe on - wipe off product that adds protection with each use.

2 Clay bars. Does brand matter?
No

3 Polish Im looking at Meguiar's Mirror Glaze No. 83 Dual Action Polish
I would recommend M105 and M205 from the Professional line or Ultimate Compound from the consumer line. They use the new SMAT abrasives while M83 does not.

4 Wax or sealant. Im thinking BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Can i apply this with my PC 7424?
Haven't used BFWD. For sealants, I use and can recommend Meg's M21 v2.0, NXT v2.0, or Zaino.

5 Porter cable 7424 kit with some red and white pads.
There is no standard for pad colors so with no brand named I can't say. I use polishing and finishing pads. You don't need to over think pad selection. It's better to have more pads than less but you don't really need every color made.

Any other Pads or products im missing or should consider instead of whats listed above?
You might want some blue painters tape and lots of microfiber towels.
Old 10-28-10, 01:02 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be happy to provide some suggestions for you.

1.) I'd suggest the Optimum (OPT) Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer which is a concentrated formula so it's an awesome value as well. It does a great job of cleaning and adding a bit more gloss to the surface. The Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer is also a great choice and it's 15% - 25% off on our site through 10/31.

2.) Generally almost all clay is made from just 2 - 3 mfgs so most of the brands are just marketing. For the best value I'd suggest looking at our DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay. We also have two great clay and lube combo deals if interested:
DI Packages Ultra Fine Clay Bar + PBW Spray & Wipe (clay lube)
DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo

3. and 5.) For the polishes I highly recommend the Meguiar's M105 and M205. Both are outstanding and will help you restore a like new finish to the paint. I typically recommend an orange or cyan pad with the M105 first. Next use a white or tangerine pad with the M205 for best results. If you only want to do one step you can just use the M205 but I do recommend both.

We have several outstanding kits with the Porter Cable, backing plate, pad cleaner, pads and polishes you need to do a complete job. Check out these kits:
DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Menzerna Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit

4.) Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is outstanding and will provide outstanding protection with a deep shine. You can apply it by hand or with a buffer and a blue pad.

Microfiber
I hand remove all of these products (clay lube, polish, sealant) with clean microfiber towels. 5x - 10x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel would be ideal. These towels are very soft, paint safe and highly effective at picking up the left over particles.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. As I mentioned before Chemical Guys is 15% - 25% off on our site through 10/31. We also offer 10% off to forum members with the coupon code 10offCL but it excludes DI Packages, sale items and tools. I hope this info is helpful and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-28-10, 01:31 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

get a gallon of ONR. you can use it for washing and make a more concentrated solution to use as a quick detailer between washes and clay lube.
Old 10-28-10, 04:13 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

greg thanks so much ill be ordering some stuff soon!
Old 10-29-10, 08:47 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redline201
greg thanks so much ill be ordering some stuff soon!
Glad to hear the info was helpful and we look forward to shipping you some top quality supplies. We have virtually every item in stock and ready to ship out immediately! Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!
Old 11-02-10, 03:16 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

Huge thumbs up to greg from DI. Great guy to deal with.