Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Considering MAACO Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 11:03 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Considering MAACO Paint

Fellas:

I have a GS that is nearing 12 years old and its black. I have tried to baby the car as much as I can but it has the regular swirl marks, some minor scratches, wear and tear type issues to the paint.

I would really like to reinvigorate the car's paint and eliminate the issues as well as fix some minor issues with my low front bumper.

I am considering Maaco paint job (their top level one) which goes for about $500-$600 (with body work fix).

The car will remain black, I am looking for them to repaint the car and also to clear coat it. My black color did not have a clear coat from factory.

Since the car will not change colors and will remain black is this a good deal and is it OK to go with them or is even their highest level paint job not worth it. I simply will not spend $3,000 + to repaint he car somewhere else.

If Maaco is not a recommended option, what shoudl I have done to the car to reinvigorate the paint and have it look new again?

Thanks.
Ted
Old 11-09-10, 11:12 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I took advantage of the maaco special to repaint your bumper for $129. I think it came out very good. However, I can't comment on how well it will last
Old 11-09-10, 11:16 AM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously it will not be the best paint job, and if they have to do body work I'd be even more hesitant. But depending how many miles are on your GS and if its a Daily or not, it could be worth it.

My only suggestion would be to pay for an extra coat of clear so you can 1) wetsand and polish to make it look a little better and 2) still have some clear to protect your paint.

My girlfriend just had her old Honda repainted for $800 and it looks perfectly fine for a 10 year old car with 150,000 miles. Only thing is, her car is easily scratched now it seems.
Old 11-09-10, 11:38 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Definately a good idea on the extra clear coat. I will haver them put several layers of clear coat on. I'd be willing to pay extra to do that.

Why do you think your GF car is getting scratched? Is it something to do with the paint (thin layer) or did they not put clear coat on?

Ted
Old 11-09-10, 11:44 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest that you do the prep work yourself. Sand, filling the dings, primer and then bring it to them. Since i believe the just shoot over the old paint? But make sure they'll take it if you prep it yourself cause i know some places that refuse to work on a self prep bumper or whatever your trying to paint..

Hmm $130 to paint the bumper? I think i might do that since my bumper is horrible lookin'
Old 11-09-10, 04:26 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ted920
Definately a good idea on the extra clear coat. I will haver them put several layers of clear coat on. I'd be willing to pay extra to do that.

Why do you think your GF car is getting scratched? Is it something to do with the paint (thin layer) or did they not put clear coat on?

Ted
Not really sure, maybe she's just hitting things haha. I don't think the paint is very hard though. I'm not really a paint expert but OEM paint is just way more durable. Don't know if it's the hardener they use or just more coats, but it works.

She had the whole car done with some body work for around $800 so I'm sure they just sprayed like one coat on top of the other paint. It really doesnt look bad at all though and is holding up well where it hasnt been scratched.

My Accord had a cheap paintjob but it has taken almost 6 years to see the effects. The clearcoat is litterally peeling itself off haha. Each time it rains more of my clearcoat bubbles up haha. I didn't really take care of the paint though so I can't complain that much.

I would just wax/sealant often to help it last as long as possible.
Old 11-10-10, 05:22 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind, with MAACO you always get what you paid for plus some free dirt in paint and occasional sag or a run. If you want a better results, remove as much of the trim,lights,e.t.c. as possible,because they do not remove it and they don't prep around tight areas. I have MAACO right next door to my shop and I see their work everyday for last 16 years, they can lay down the paint pretty slick,especially solid colors with no metallics,but usually the amount of dirt in the paint is overwhelming ,it's either they do not use a tack cloth or do not blow off the car before spraying or both,lol.

I would probably stay with single stage paint,because it will outlast base/clear and is more durable,but can't comment on MAACO's materials,as most of their paint jobs last only couple years
Old 11-10-10, 06:09 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ted920
Fellas:

The car will remain black, I am looking for them to repaint the car and also to clear coat it. My black color did not have a clear coat from factory.

Thanks.
Ted
Ted, why do you think the factory didn't use a clear coat? it did come with a clear coat.

Maaco may look decent for a few months. If you're going to sell the car in a few months, I'd say go for it. If you plan on keeping it....I'd look at other alternatives. tell me about the scratches..are they deep where you can feel them with your fingernail? A lot of times, the swirls and small scratches can get buffed out with a really good detail guy. You'd be surprised. Check out this thread.

http://houston-imports.com/forums/sh...k+detail+lexus
Old 11-10-10, 11:22 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Ted, why do you think the factory didn't use a clear coat? it did come with a clear coat.

Maaco may look decent for a few months. If you're going to sell the car in a few months, I'd say go for it. If you plan on keeping it....I'd look at other alternatives. tell me about the scratches..are they deep where you can feel them with your fingernail? A lot of times, the swirls and small scratches can get buffed out with a really good detail guy. You'd be surprised. Check out this thread.

http://houston-imports.com/forums/sh...k+detail+lexus

SPEED:

The BEFORE pics are exactly where my car is currently at. Needs help bad. I have some minor bumper work that needs to be done with bondo and resprayed. Maybe, I will have Maaco do that work and then get the car properly detailed.

I don't think that '98 GS in black had a clearcoat. I think they put the clear on beginning with '99 model year. I could be wrong but that is what I thought.

What shoudl I ask for of a detailer to get that good of a job done on my car. Am i looking for a complete detail, a buff, etc?

I am looking to keep the car for years until it stops running. It only has 89,000 miles on it so it has many years to go. It will be my main car (except for winter months when its in the garage) for next 4-5 years and then will be a daily driver or converted to a track car.

I greatly appreciate all of the insighful ideas and commentary.

Thank you.

Ted

Thanks much.

Ted
Old 11-10-10, 11:29 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

He meant to say his car is single stage paint.
Old 11-10-10, 03:37 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
He meant to say his car is single stage paint.
I know what he meant but Toyota didn't do single stage paint on the 2GS and he said "from the factory"
Old 11-10-10, 03:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-from-all.html
Old 11-10-10, 03:47 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

I stand corrected...thanks Dave.
Old 11-10-10, 08:45 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

OP as others have said ask around over on the regional forums for a good detailer. It will probably run 300-400 and take all day but its better than paying for a cheapo paint job imo. You need everything buff, polish, clay and probably multiple steps of each lol. Let u know how it turns out. As you have seen a good detailer can really save a paint job.
Old 11-11-10, 06:44 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know some of our cars are getting old, mine included, but it's still a Lexus and you've got to consider resale value as well as other things... even if we're only talking about $1000 less of difference in resale rather than $5000 (i.e. if you were to say, Maaco a new car), it's still a fair amount of $$$ you could be out if the paint turns off a potential buyer or trade in offer. There's a saying in the biz that a repaint is a strike against any car, because people will always assume wreck, neglect etc. despite how well you've cared for it. Original paint is usually always better. Now, if you spend $15k on a show paint job...that's another matter.

And yes, longevity with Maaco job can come into play. You may get lucky with decent prep, but I've seen some of their work fail within 3-4 years. I am a former professional detailer myself, and I can tell you stories about my past clients cars...I've seen it up close and personal. Can they do good work? Yes, but it's hit or miss and generally they are "move 'em in, move 'em out" type places. If you're still tempted after all this, at least, go look at the cars they turn out on a few different days and get a good sampling.

I agree with slvrboolet on this though....a good detailer can transform your paint for much less. Take your time and think it through...

Quick Reply: Considering MAACO Paint