Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Leather - Deep Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 11:53 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Leather - Deep Cleaning

Looking from some advice...
One of my cars has leather seats that have been neglected for years. This weekend it finally became obvious that i needed to push some elbow grease into the leather cleaning process. For the last couple years, we'd clean the leather in our Toyota Sienna XLE Limited with a rag (using Lexol cleaner). The cleaner didn't seem to do much good, as we would just wipe it on casually and then wipe off. The surface dirt was removed, but the cracks and deeper parts of the leather grain never get clean.

So, this weekend i thought it would be good to use the same Lexol cleaner product with a bristle brush from my vacuum cleaner. The brush and cleaner worked well, but i was hope there might be a better way to clean the seats on our van. Better because it took about an hour of hard pressure to clean just one seat. Here are some pictures of the leather so you can see what i'm talking about. The deeper parts of the grain are just too hard to reach with a rag or sponge.

Advice on cleaning leather that has been collecting dirt and stuff for years is appreciated. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Leather - Deep Cleaning-leather1.jpg   Leather - Deep Cleaning-leather2.jpg  
Old 12-06-10, 12:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Leather Masters is the best!
Old 12-06-10, 01:11 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO go with Leatherique Leather Care products.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/lelecaki.html
Old 12-06-10, 01:22 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Also here's a write up on Leatherique. by our own Todd from ProperAutoCare.com

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=233
Old 12-15-10, 11:02 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Aww your 32 oz kit is sold out
Old 12-15-10, 05:34 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner with a soft nylon fingernail brush will clean that right up.
Old 12-16-10, 08:37 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need a kit with Leatherique products and the 303 Aerospace Protectant check out these two excellent kits with big discounts:

DI Packages Leather Care 16oz
DI Packages Leather Care 32oz

We also have free shipping going on now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 12-16-10, 08:50 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

thank you all for your replies.
Old 12-26-10, 07:15 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Looking from some advice...
One of my cars has leather seats that have been neglected for years. This weekend it finally became obvious that i needed to push some elbow grease into the leather cleaning process. For the last couple years, we'd clean the leather in our Toyota Sienna XLE Limited with a rag (using Lexol cleaner). The cleaner didn't seem to do much good, as we would just wipe it on casually and then wipe off. The surface dirt was removed, but the cracks and deeper parts of the leather grain never get clean.

So, this weekend i thought it would be good to use the same Lexol cleaner product with a bristle brush from my vacuum cleaner. The brush and cleaner worked well, but i was hope there might be a better way to clean the seats on our van. Better because it took about an hour of hard pressure to clean just one seat. Here are some pictures of the leather so you can see what i'm talking about. The deeper parts of the grain are just too hard to reach with a rag or sponge.

Advice on cleaning leather that has been collecting dirt and stuff for years is appreciated. Cheers.
i know you have heard reasons for Leather Masters and Leatherique on this thread, and i actually own both. while they are great in their own respects, they work differently imo. looking at the pics you supplied (and depth of the dirt in the leather), i would have to say you want to go the leatherique route for sure. here is a write up i did of the leatherique system + 303 aerospace on a friends car: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...2003-350z.html to say i was amazed is an understatement. yes, it does require more time and a bit more of a hassle (compared to Leather Masters), but the results are well worth the trouble