Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you wash your car in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 10:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ why would you spray WD-40? lol

Waste of time, since its only a 'temporary solution' and will come off with each wash if not before with driving in the snow/slush/gunk.

There's no replacement for a proper undercoating.
Amen, rubberized undercoating FTW.
Old 12-30-10, 11:37 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Washing with the Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR), it's really an amazing product. I also like to apply a sealant to the wheels, glass and paint with some UV protection on the exterior trim.

We have a whole article on how to wash without more than a bucket of water in our Detailing Guide - http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ing/#rinseless

Here are some great deals on packages with the ONR that we use to wash in winter:
DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR
DI Packages Complete Hose Free Wash Package with ONR
Old 01-06-11, 01:43 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just received my ONR from DI a few days ago and used it as soon as I got it. Fantastic product!
Old 01-07-11, 01:07 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ONR in my garage in below freezing weather. just grab some warm water from the tap inside the house.

don't have to worry about draining. if your car is really caked with dirt, you can pick up a garden sprayer from home depot and presoak your car with ONR. then i wash with a grout sponge from lowe's. works better than with a sheepskin mitt.
Old 01-07-11, 08:06 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I just received my ONR from DI a few days ago and used it as soon as I got it. Fantastic product!
Thank you for the purchase and I'm glad to hear you already got some great use from it. Let us know if we can help you any further.
Old 01-10-11, 04:50 AM
DTrapani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I finally bought cleats for my shoes so I don't skate around my RX

Now that's what I call dedication!!
Old 01-11-11, 03:02 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess i'll have to check out ONR, i've heard alot of local guys around me using it and being pretty happy..

My car has always been hand washed, although in the winter sometimes i'll run it through a Touch free spray wash just get grime off of it.

normally i just do it the old fashion way, except i use a soap bucket and a serperate rinse bucket, with grit guards in both of them..
Old 01-13-11, 10:30 AM
jlho1980
Driver School Candidate

to use the ONR do you: spray the panel you are working on, allowing it to soak a minute or two and then simply wipe it off with a micro fiber towel? or do you use ONR as a pre treatment then use the traditional soap bucket and rinse bucket? sorry for the elementary questions. TIA!
Old 01-13-11, 12:06 PM
xology
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Great thread, I really needed some good advice on this topic and it seems like ONR is the way to go. It was -15 here yesterday with the wind chill so hand washing hasn't been an option.

I'm going to order some winter care products, thanks for you all the info,

DI, here i come....
Old 01-13-11, 12:50 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

This ONR looks promising. Might try that out. Though I don't really have grounds to complain. California winter isn't much of a winter compare to you guys.
Old 01-14-11, 10:14 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by airvtec
This ONR looks promising. Might try that out. Though I don't really have grounds to complain. California winter isn't much of a winter compare to you guys.
The Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR) is definitely great for the cold months. Believe it or not the ONR is also really popular for people in really warm/sunny climates. Washing in direct sun is tough because of the potential for nasty water marks that look ugly and can be challenging to remove. Therefore the ONR helps you wash with less water and you can wash inside a garage or other shaded area with no hose. I love using it on a bright sunny day, where as a traditional wash in the sun is challenging with the water marks.
Old 01-14-11, 07:31 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When the sun is out and the temp rises above about 35F, I hook a hose to my utility sink located in the laundry room - just inside the garage. I turn on both the hot and cold valves, run the hose through the garage, and do a two-bucket warm-water wash in the driveway. I wash the car in the early afternoon on my sloped driveway. The water drains into the street and the remaining water on the driveway evaporates before freezing at night.

Of course, it helps that in the winter, I only drive my LS on days with clear, dry roads. My Subaru usually looks awful and goes through a full top-and-bottom automatic car wash about every couple weeks.
Old 01-16-11, 03:15 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

ONR does look like a promising product especially at a decent cost. But recently I have been using two buckets, one with hot/warm water + other with water + soap... Being located in North Philly you can imagine all the snow buildup and other crap on my GS. I use the 2-bucket method and two rags of Shamwow, which works great. Perhaps combining the shamwow with ONR solution will be my next step.
Old 01-19-11, 01:47 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

I just cruise over to the local coin-op, bring lots of coins and my trusty shammy. Luckily when the time runs out, the nozzle at the one I go to leaks to the point where you can use the constant stream of warm water to melt and dry any parts you couldn't get to before it freezes.

I'm looking into these ONR products, and let me say, the idea of being able to feel my fingers after washing my car sounds soooo nice.
Old 01-22-11, 07:53 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This winter sucks in terms of keeping the car clean. It has snowed practically every week this month. Although the snow amounts have been light, its enough for the state DOT to put salt & brine on the roads. And with more snow about to fall in a few days that means more dried up salt on my car.

Quick Reply: How do you wash your car in winter?