Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you wash your car in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 08:34 AM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stick to a TOUCH FREE (always..... never use a car wash that touches your vehicle as the last dirty car leaves its dirt on the flaps and that scrubs your car to scratch it) at a local gas station. they have a powerful under carriage wash included so that cleans some of the salt if not all. if the car is not clean after one run, I go back to them to complain and they are usually happy to issue a re-run. ultimately the car looks pretty.

I never try to wash it myself unless its 55 degrees or above here in Minnesota. I cant take care of a car at my body's expense.
Old 01-23-11, 08:37 AM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

I have also bought a 1750 psi power wash that I use in summer months.
Old 01-27-11, 01:21 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fmfarooqui
I stick to a TOUCH FREE (always..... never use a car wash that touches your vehicle as the last dirty car leaves its dirt on the flaps and that scrubs your car to scratch it) at a local gas station. they have a powerful under carriage wash included so that cleans some of the salt if not all. if the car is not clean after one run, I go back to them to complain and they are usually happy to issue a re-run. ultimately the car looks pretty.

I never try to wash it myself unless its 55 degrees or above here in Minnesota. I cant take care of a car at my body's expense.
fmfar: where do you go here in the twin cities?
Old 01-28-11, 07:11 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Touch Free is always the beat bet, but if one has a garage then try out New Optimum Winter Wash Kit. Take a look below on it.

Keep your car glowing through the dull, cold winter with our Optimum Winter Wash Kits. The winter is tough on you and your vehicle. Cold weather makes conventional car washing unbearable at best and damaging to your vehicle at worst. Corrosive sodium and magnesium chloride (“road salt”) can wreak havoc on your paint, wheels, uncoated metals, and seals! Brake dust, if not cleaned regularly, can damage the painted coating on your wheel’s finish. Drive thru and coin operated car washes have long been the alternative but harsh cleaning chemicals and dirty brushes can cause just as much damage! With Proper Auto Care’s new Optimum Winter Wash Kits it is now possible to safely clean and protect your paint in the comfort of your garage.

All Kits Include:

Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine - Optimum’s No-Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) is a super advanced wash solution that utilizes polymers to encapsulate and remove road grime and corrosive salt with out scratching or dulling the paint finish. Instead of stripping the wax coating like a harsh detergent, No-Rinse’s polymer rinse actually replenishes the wax coating by laying down it’s own synthetic wax protection. Clean and protect in one easy step with out getting sprayed by the frigid water running out of your hose while standing outside.

Optimum Opti-Mitt - was designed specifically by Optimum founder Dr. David Ghoudassi to work in conjunction with Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine. The high density foam and waffle design remove dirt easily while holding the ideal amount of solution to prevent marking and swirl marks.

Two Big Blue III Waffle Weave Drying Towels - A direct descendant of our famous Big Blue (The world’s first waffle weave drying towel) the Big Blue III has amazing absorbency and will dry your automobile in record time and keep you out of the cold!

Tips and Directions

Pull your vehicle into the garage and allow to it warm up to the ambient temperature in your garage. While it is possible to wash your car safely on days when the temperature is far below freezing the will be some water run-off that could form ice on your garage floor so use common sense.

Fill your wash bucket with warm water from a tap in your hose and add 1 oz. of ONR per gallon of water. On particularly filthy vehicles we recommend using 5 gallons. Please your Opti-Mitt into the solution and allow to soak for at least two minutes. If your vehicle is extremely filthy fill a second bucket with warm water and use it to rinse out the Opti-Mitt between sections.

Wash and dry one section at a time, starting with the top vehicle. Fully load the Opti-Mitt with solution and lightly squeeze out the solution over the section to be washed: To flood and encapsulate the dirt. Lightly wash using light pressure and keeping the section wet. On extremely dirty vehicles make sure to rinse the Opti-Mitt in a second bucket before moving to the next section. Dry the section by gently wiping with the first big blue towel to remove a majority of the water, then buffing to a high gloss, with the second towel.

You should not get any dirt transfer on your drying towels! As the dirt is encapsulated by ONR it should be flooded off of the surface or become entrapped in the mitt.

Complete the entire exterior of the vehicle, then wash, dry, and shine the door jambs were dirt and salt can hide. Finally use the left over solution to clean the wheels, tires, and wheel wells. We do not recommend using the Opti-Mitt for this task however, as the excessive grime can contaminate it. Instead use an old micro fiber cloth and wash each area twice prior to drying.
Old 01-31-11, 05:29 PM
tardorange
Driver

Where is spring .
Old 01-31-11, 06:10 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading all the positive reviews about the Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine, I placed a order for some and can't wait to give it a try.
Old 01-31-11, 06:55 PM
fast02max
Driver School Candidate

What I do is I take a bucket with my wash cloth and a synthetic shammy over to the local carwash.

I put $1.00 in (This usually gets me 2 1/2 minutes) and spray the car down with regular water and wet my wash cloth. Then I turn the **** to the soap setting or some carwashes have whats called a "tri foam" which you can use as well and soak the whole car with that then spray some on my cloth. Since it's cold out you don't have to worry about the water instantly drying since your in a shaded area so take your wash cloth and just give the car a good scrubbing. Deposit another $1.00 and then spray the car off good to get all the suds off of it. Usually there is some time left so I'll just turn on the spot free rinse for the last couple of seconds. Then grab your shammy and either dry it there or drive to your house and dry it off. I do this and then put some quick detailer on my daily during the winter and it works great.

Most carwashes use heated water during the winter, and for $2.00 it's not a bad deal...

Now in the summertime and on my weekend car...that's a totally different story lol

Last edited by fast02max; 01-31-11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 06:34 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tardorange
Where is spring .
Spring is around the corner and to get ready take a look at our site and start stocking up on your car care products.......http://www.properautocare.com/index.html
Old 02-08-11, 07:01 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using ONR for a couple of years and used QEW for 5 years before that. Works great....even on salt covered cars. The ONR will remove almost any grime without marring (not mud covered after going 4 wheeling). If you get marring it is most likely from your wash media or drying towel (like a shamwow).
Old 02-10-11, 08:37 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Great product ONR is and now with our Optimum Winter Wash Kit you can't go wrong folks!

http://properautocare.com/owwk8.html