Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you wash your car in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 08:00 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wash your car in winter?

I hate them, but I end up using automatic car washes because it can be a pain to wash the car in subzero temperatures. My garage is heated, but I don't have drains, so I can't use it to wash. Detailers around here are overpriced and unreliable, often not even drying the doorjams and leaving me with a car that is frozen shut by the end of the day.

I wish I had a wash bay in my garage, but until I do I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for keeping the car clean in the winter?
Old 12-29-10, 08:02 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Griot's Garage Spray on CarWash + Microfiber
Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner
Rain X Window Cleaner + Microfiber
Armorall Tire Gel

Although not as good as water and soap, it does the job decently well.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 12-29-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 08:04 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered Optimum No Rinse (ONR) from DI. It should be here today. It's highly rated, so much so, that many use it all year round. I can't wait to try it for the first time.
Old 12-29-10, 08:22 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now my car has all that road salt and grime after the last snowfall but this time it looks really, really bad. I think this is too much of a job for ONR so I plan to remove as much of the salt in the self-service bay with the pressure spray and immediately running my car through the touchless car wash. I know for a fact that the touchless car wash will not remove all the grime alone and cannot get into the small spots.
Old 12-29-10, 08:22 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hesitant to try the spray-on or no-rinse products because I live in Ohio and the car collects a good amount of road salt in the winter. Are those products capable of removing decent amounts of buildup, or is it something that I would use only when the car is pretty clean already?
Old 12-29-10, 08:36 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

It's best to use when the car isn't very dirty. If it's super dirty and you're using this stuff, you're essentially going to rub all that nasty dirt on the paint which leads to scratches.
Old 12-29-10, 08:50 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Just stick to car washes. I have no options for myself in my area it was 24 degrees yesterday [and that is considered 'warm' at this time of year]... gets as cold [on average] as -2/3 degrees...

the 'best' i can suggest is the coin-washes since you can wash it yourself as you like it. Downside of course is that the coin-wash will NOT be getting rid of the salt build up underneath the car like a carwash would...

lol i should probably wash my car. It hasn't seen a car wash in over a month and has all the road/salt/junk buildup since. I can't wait for spring
Old 12-29-10, 09:17 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my take on waterless/rinsless systems. After doing about a night's worth of research, and being a fanatic about my LS, I am confident that my purchase of ONR will be one of satisfaction.

I think people have to look at these types of products and not take them at face value. A certain amount of common sense should be used when utilizing such products, obviously, if you've just been out mudding, or have a car caked in winter debris, a conventional car wash would obviously be the most appropriate cleaning method.

Although some say ONR has the power to clean heavier soiled cars, again, I would only use it when there is a minor to moderate film on the car, with minimal debris. The product suspends the dirt in the sponge, but obviously if you catch a huge chunk of debris and no bot exercise caution, its not the fault of the product.

That being said, if you want to hit the touchless car wash first to blast away the initial grime, then use ONR to tackle the residual ghosting, I think you would have a good combo. I have never used a waterless system, but I think it's a little too dangerous for my blood. This rinsless type of product is one that sets you free of conventional washing but does not set you free of responsible wash technique. All products have their specific nitch. Use them correctly and be gratified, use them incorrectly and upset. My LS is black, and I have read that the ONR, when used correctly can actually inflict less micro marring than a conventional wash. Add to the fact that I can wash in the winter in my buildings garage without upsetting the management, and it's a win-win situation.

My ONR should hopefully be here any minute.
Old 12-29-10, 10:31 AM
Plum
Rookie

Being a PA resident my car right now is covered in salt and road grime.
Here is what I do:
I spray it off myself at the coin op bay and then drive it home to the garage.
While it's still kind of wet I use the Optimum No Rinse to get it clean.
Turns out great!
Old 12-29-10, 11:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm out there with the hose and bucket. The temp may not always cooperate but IMO it's the only way to do it right. The DIY wash places are closed this time of year, regular car washes are out of the question. I finally bought cleats for my shoes so I don't skate around my RX
Old 12-29-10, 05:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If I don't have access to a hose/running water or it is really cold out and the car is really dirty I will fill a bucket up with warm water and regular car wash. I put water in water bottles or pitchers and get the dirty areas wet, use the bucket of car wash and get the caked on stuff off, and then poor some water over the remaining suds to rinse it off. Most of the really dirty areas are only the lower areas behind the tires. This should get the car clean enough to safely use ONR. Using distilled water works better with ONR and make sure you have plenty of microfiber rags for each section and don't rub or towel too hard.
Old 12-30-10, 04:26 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If the car is crusted over, I'll go to a coin op. car wash to rinse off as much as I can.

Then into the garage for and ONR wash. I've been very happy with ONR on the soft Lexus black.
Old 12-30-10, 05:02 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't purchased any ONR products, but keep telling myself I will, just to see how well they work.

I think I take excellent car of my RX, but sometimes ice skate wearing Anita puts even me to shame with her winter car care. I wash one to two times a week. Finding a car wash that is open when it gets really cold is often a challenge. I will run the car through a touchless wash to get the underside of the car rinsed off. If I'm short of time, I run though at the most expensive cycle just to get the longest amount of time blow drying. Although I don't like or want all of the extras put on the car (tri-color wax, clear coat or whatever else). If I have time, I go the cheapest cycle that still rinses the undercarriage. Then I go to the manual bay and hand wash, rinse, dry and use a spray wax or detailer. I have buckets with screw lids and if it's really cold I bring warm water from home to hand wash. I always use a high quality automotive soap usually with wax built in, such as Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax.

My garage does not have heat, water and barely has electricity. So I purchased a small propane heater and after i wash the car at a car wash I try to heat the garage to at least 45 degrees, wipe it down with a spray detailer and then put a coat of wax on.

However, most recently I lucked out and found a guy with a huge building who rents space. It's heated to 55 degrees, has floor drains and water, electricity and plenty of light.

I still run the car through a car wash, cheap cycle, to get the salt off the undercarriage or as much as possible and head to the rented space to wash. Yesterday I washed, dried with a leaf blower and spray waxed our two cars. Next month I'll polish and wax.

My suggestion is get a couple of good coats of wax on in the late fall and rinse often in the winter to keep salt damage to a minimum. If you can't, find a detailer or a car wash with a detailer on staff who can.
Old 12-30-10, 08:47 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Well since you should have waxed it before the snow.....I just wash and rinse really quickly. Just some good car wash soap and a good rinse. I also spray wd-40 underneath the car anytime i get enough clearance or on a lift.
Old 12-30-10, 09:33 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ why would you spray WD-40? lol

Waste of time, since its only a 'temporary solution' and will come off with each wash if not before with driving in the snow/slush/gunk.

There's no replacement for a proper undercoating.

Quick Reply: How do you wash your car in winter?