Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help: Touchup Paint Smear

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 03:26 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alcohol

I got the oem touchup paint for my silver spruce metallic sc4, and used anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to prep a few chips (get it at a pharmacy, look for the "extra-pure" rubbing alcohol with low water content) - dabbed the chip first with alcohol on a Qtip to degrease/dewax it before applying paint.

(btw, I found out the hard way, if you have metallic paint, shake shake shake the touchup bottle, then shake shake shake some more or it won't match)

When I went to re-apply the touchup paint after shaking it a whole lot, I dabbed with alcohol first and hey, lookit that, it took the old touchup paint right off! It evaporates really fast so it doesn't have a chance to damage the clearcoat.

So I'm sure the Langka stuff works well and is worth $20, but the isopropyl alcohol is about two bucks a liter...

I bought a little 4oz medicine bottle from the pharmacist, and carry some alcohol in it, along with a few Qtips and the touchup paint, all in a ziploc baggie in the trunk, ready for touchups at a moment's notice...

Last edited by strongsail; 10-05-02 at 03:37 PM.