Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Flaking - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 06:24 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good advice from Mack, follow through.

The repair will only be as good as how they prep it, which was likely the ( mis) step that caused the failure you're now dealing with.

Best wishes
Old 01-19-11, 08:52 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Redying can help, but make sure it is taken care of to your satisfaction - even after the "basic" warranty is over. If the problem persists or recurs within the next year or two, you should have the right to have the dealer replace the seat under warranty since their attempt at repair did not work. I know I wouldn't leave or allow that type of repair without something like that in writing.

Big Mack
Good advice. Thanks Mack.

...also thanks to everyone else for commenting; It's greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rebs; 01-19-11 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 11:13 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Update: Took my car in last Friday; Got it back that afternoon. That portion of the seat (outside passenger) was redyed. It looked pretty good. I was told to give it 48 hours to set, and then I could start carrying passengers (which is fairly infrequent anyway). I decided I would wait until Sunday to post pictures, but then I got busy with some errands, so I didn't post anything.

This morning I had an opportunity to pickup a friend of mine and I dropped her off downtown here. Like all my passengers (they are lighter than me and work in a white collar field (i.e. I'm not carrying around constructions workers)). She just happened to be 120lbs and wearing a black dress. Unfortunately after I got to work (and dropped her off), I noticed immediately the cracks had returned, so the redye appears to have been unsuccessful (and therefore I won't be posting any pictures).

I'm not sure what to say. I've had leather vehicles before, and this is the first time I've had issues. Not to mention the vehicle is at 16k miles and I rarely carry passengers (and when I do they are lighter than me and work in a white collar industry).

I'm not sure what the story is. That section of leather has always looked different since Day 1. I always just chalked it up to the fact that most leather looks different (which is also what Lexus dealership said), but the fact that I'm very careful (/****) with my car + that it's the passengers seat makes me think there is something defective with that section.

I called in a few minutes ago to report the redye didn't work, and they spoke with the service manager. Evidently a district/area rep will have to look at the issue, and that will either happen in February (if he/she can squeeze me in) or March (which sounds more likely).

I'm a little speechless right now. I mean it's obvious it's not a "user" issue (its happening right in the creases of the leather). I have to admit that I wish they would just replace the seat (or that section of leather if possible) at this point. I'll be honest I hate being classified as a needy person. This is my 3rd issue with my car. Once I had a problem with the door, once the main fuse blew, and now this issue with the seat, (also had issue with getting a smart card programmed, but I'm not counting that). To keep this in perspective, I've owned Honda's, Ford, GM's and never taken the vehicle back to the dealership (outside regularly scheduled maintenance)...

Having said that, please understand I'm not putting down Lexus because I know Lexus is far superior to most of the brands I mentioned...and barring some horrible incident, I'm still leaning towards purchasing an IS-F....

However, I have to admit this is disheartening, and although I totally understand a dealership wanting to protect themselves against false claims, I'd just like to once hear "Mr. Rebs we will take care of it" instead of jumping through hoops and taking time off work.

Last edited by rebs; 01-24-11 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 02:19 PM
Guitarman

Sorry to hear this...At this point they really need to step up and replace the seat cover with a new one of the same color, since the mileage is so low. Keep us informed on what they decide for you,

Wishing you good luck on it!
Old 01-24-11, 07:55 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Sorry to hear this...At this point they really need to step up and replace the seat cover with a new one of the same color, since the mileage is so low. Keep us informed on what they decide for you,

Wishing you good luck on it!
X2.

And OP - keep in mind that with all things manufactured, there will be some mistakes. It sounds like the panel was replaced previously, possibly due to damage in prep, and that it may not have matched 100% so they dyed it then. I would absolutely press them to make room in the district manager's schedule since this is another issue with a car that is nearly new. You've been patient, it's time for them to step up.

How far away from the dealer do you work or live? I would see if perhaps, for your convenience since you have been patient, find a way for them to meet you at one of those, or pick the car up. Either way, it's time for them to make some concessions, not you. 6-8 weeks to get it looked at? I call BS. I know if it were me, I'd have that person's number and they'd already have 4 messages from me looking for a call back today.

I'm a patient man to a point, and then you had better make something happen or I'll let you know I'm not happy.

Big Mack
Old 01-25-11, 10:38 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
X2.

And OP - keep in mind that with all things manufactured, there will be some mistakes. It sounds like the panel was replaced previously, possibly due to damage in prep, and that it may not have matched 100% so they dyed it then. I would absolutely press them to make room in the district manager's schedule since this is another issue with a car that is nearly new. You've been patient, it's time for them to step up.

How far away from the dealer do you work or live? I would see if perhaps, for your convenience since you have been patient, find a way for them to meet you at one of those, or pick the car up. Either way, it's time for them to make some concessions, not you. 6-8 weeks to get it looked at? I call BS. I know if it were me, I'd have that person's number and they'd already have 4 messages from me looking for a call back today.

I'm a patient man to a point, and then you had better make something happen or I'll let you know I'm not happy.

Big Mack
I'm between 5-10 miles away from the dealership depending on whether I'm at home or work. I really appreciate your feedback; It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's time for them to step up.

Right now I'm thinking about calling back and just scheduling to leave my vehicle there so she/he/they can inspect it at their convenience.

----

It's been a long time since I've heard these types of customer service stories from Lexus:

"What happened next, however, might be called Zen and the Art of Automobile Maintenance. Toyota had taken its sweeping action on the basis of just two consumer complaints, one about a defective brake light and the other concerning a sticky cruise-control mechanism. "The company didn't run and hide," recalls Meade. "They stepped right up" and made changes in all 8,000 cars. Lexus owners did not even suffer the inconvenience of a trip to their dealership: within a few weeks, their cars were picked up, repaired and returned to them. To serve 10 Lexus owners in Grand Rapids, 150 miles away, dealer Meade flew in technicians, rented garage space, fetched the cars, fixed them, washed them and sent them back home." - http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...1153-1,00.html
Old 02-04-11, 06:51 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Just an FYI: (but feel free to comment or give advice either in this thread or over PM)

Update: Day 17.

Rather then having the dealership call me (on Friday) if the Lexus rep "had time to squeeze me in" (to look at my passenger seat), and then having to run to the dealership and drop off the car...I decided to call them the day before the rep was in town (this past Thursday) and proposed leaving my car all day so that the rep could look at the car at their convenience (and hopefully increasing the opportunities to get this issue resolved).

The dealership called me back (I had to leave a message); It turns out the rep canceled their visit, so there was no point dropping off my car. Supposedly, she will visit by the end of the month and they will call me and let me know when (and arrange for a rental this time).

Not really sure what to say at this point. If I hadn't called, I would have sat around today waiting/hoping for a call that the rep would look at my car. I'm still confused why an "in-person visit" is necessary considering they have photos (and evidently have already e-mailed them to the rep once to get the redye approved).

I'm not really angry (yet). I'm just disheartened. I have a couple of friends that are razzing me about this situation (and of course giving their own personal opinion about their favorite auto brands). I'm currently all about defending Lexus publicly, but privately (and among fellow ClubLexus members) I can be honest and say it's taking it's toll. I know that no single vehicle is perfect (, but I also have to admit that I've had more warranty work on this vehicle (3 trips - main fuse, drivers door, passenger seat) then my last two vehicles combined), and unfortunately when something goes wrong under warranty I'm going to look to the dealership to step up (and minimize the quality issue).

/sigh
Old 02-04-11, 07:13 PM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would write a letter to Lexus directly and see what happens. There should be no reason with the exception that this is a QC issue that this happened to a brand new car.
Old 02-05-11, 05:52 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd follow these escalation steps as outlined in your owners manual, especially step 2.

Both Lexus and your Lexus dealer are dedicated to serving your automotive needs. Your complete satisfaction is our first priority. Should you have a problem or concern, please take the following steps to ensure the quickest possible response:

Step 1
Discuss the situation with a dealership manager, such as the service manager or customer satisfaction manager. If necessary, ask the dealership owner or general manager for assistance. In most cases, a satisfactory solution can be reached at this step.

Step 2
If the dealership does not address your concern to your satisfaction, call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at (800)25-LEXUS (800/255-3987).

You may also write to us at:
Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department
P.O. Box 2991
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Whether calling or writing, please provide the following information:

Vehicle identification Number (located on the driver’s side corner of the dashboard, under the window)

Current vehicle mileage

Name of your selling and servicing Lexus dealership(s)

Your day and evening telephone numbers.

Step 3
If your concern has still not been resolved to your satisfaction, Lexus offers additional assistance through BBB AUTO LINE, a dispute resolution program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. The purpose of BBB AUTO LINE is to resolve disputes through arbitration — a process by which two parties authorize an independent third party to hear and resolve a dispute. The program is informal and free of charge. To request that your case be reviewed through the program, contact:
BBB AUTO LINE
4200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203
(800)955-5100

Important: You must use BBB AUTO LINE before seeking remedies through a court action pursuant to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You may also be
required to use BBB AUTO LINE before seeking remedies under the “Lemon Laws” of your state. For the requirements applicable to your state, see the appropriate page of the Owner’s Manual Supplement – Lemon Law Information booklet located in your glove box.
Old 02-24-11, 04:25 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Default Update: Day 37

Update: Day 37

I didn't escalate the issue. I decided to wait until the end of the month, since that was their original timeline (and I was fairly busy this month anyway).

I got a call at 10:30am asking if I could be @ the dealership by 12:30pm because the regional rep was there and had some spare time. I admit I was a little annoyed not only because of the short notice, but because they *promised* me they would schedule an appointment and give me a loaner this time. That didn't happen. The combination of short notice and not keeping a previous promise was a huge

Having said that, the GM was VERY nice and said he would understand if I couldn't make it (with less than two hours notice). I made it happen. I just didn't want to chance missing the opportunity and waiting another month. The regional rep took a look at both the passengers side (which maybe gets used 5-10% of the time) and the drivers side. She saw the difference and said they wouldn't cover it under warranty, but they would goodwill it this *one* time out of their own pockets (since I bought the car there and do all my service work there).

I have to admit I was a tiny bit annoyed that it's not being covered under warranty. Honestly, I don't care how it gets handled, but since it's not getting submitted under warranty and the phrasing they used about good-willing it this *one* time ... makes me feel like it's a user problem. I've been in customer service leadership positions before and I have made similar statements and it was always my "p.c." way of telling the customer it's their fault (but that we would help them this one time). ...I guess that annoyed me since I can guarantee you it's not a user problem. Yes, I make mistakes, but I baby my car to the point where people make fun of me (and sometimes...rightfully so).

Having said that, they are going to place the order for the new seat cover today and then they'll install it when it comes in. I'm extremely happy they are stepping up to the plate. They were very, very polite and friendly to talk with, plus the problem got resolved, so I guess at the end of the day that's what really matters.

Hopefully in a couple weeks this week I can submit pictures of the new cover installed; Perhaps it will help someone else in a similar situation.

---- Sidenote ----
For those of you on Facebook and a fan of Lexus did you see the leather tests they did? There was some videos of the process they used to test leather including hitting it with a blowtorch, etc. It was pretty interesting.
Old 02-28-11, 06:24 AM
Guitarman

That's real good news Rebs, although I too would feel the insinuation in the way they decided to document it.

Kudos on your restraint, and PATIENCE on seeing this through. I'm not sure I would have been quite as gracious...

...But it likely helped you obtain a satisfactory end to the problem.
Old 03-08-11, 10:10 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Default Update: Day 48 (The End?)

I got a new seat cover.

Since they had to keep it all day (and were in a hurry), I haven't done a thorough investigation (test heated seats, etc.), but a cursory glance was positive...everything looks pretty good (at first glance).

Any thoughts on whether I should condition the leather right away?
Old 03-08-11, 07:22 PM
baydriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a very patient person, glad it worked out for you
Old 03-08-11, 09:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by rebs
I got a new seat cover.

Since they had to keep it all day (and were in a hurry), I haven't done a thorough investigation (test heated seats, etc.), but a cursory glance was positive...everything looks pretty good (at first glance).

Any thoughts on whether I should condition the leather right away?
Be sure to check it out, and yes, condition the leather to protect it immediately. This worked out well for you despite their lack of any sense of customer service. Hopefully it's the last issue you have with this part. I'm not sure I would have been that patient, especially based on what they said.

I would still engage Lexus corporate based on this interaction. Not to ask for anything further, but to let them know this is the behavior of the reps in your area. They need to know because you are certainly not the only one dealing with them if they are so busy it takes a month to get an appointment (and a half assed one at that).

Big Mack