Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Flaking - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 03:02 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Flaking - Need advice

Update: Posted an additional picture (see picture #2). Note the leather on this side of the passenger's seat has always had this grain and texture to it (even after conditioner)

Original Post
------------
Preface: I have a 2008 IS350 which I purchased in 2009 and it only has around 16k miles. The passenger side seat is flaking.

I rarely carry passengers, and when I do it's a guy who wears slacks and doesn't even carry his wallet (much less anything else) in his back pocket. I've also only used Lexus cleaner and conditioner on the seats since I've purchased it.

What are your thought on this situation? To me it clearly looks like it's just flaking. Can I fix this with Leatherique Rejuvenating oil? Or should I talk to the dealer about getting the seat fixed/replaced?

Thanks for your feedback

P.S. I apologize for the low quality image. I took it with a camera phone. You'll have to take my word that it looks much worse in person. In the meantime, I'll try to get a better quality photo.
Attached Thumbnails Leather Flaking - Need advice-leather.jpg   Leather Flaking - Need advice-leather2.jpg  

Last edited by rebs; 01-16-11 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 03:14 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just out of curiosity, your leather color is teal?
Old 01-16-11, 03:21 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by huy33
Just out of curiosity, your leather color is teal?
lol. no. It's just the image quality is ... that poor. It's light grey. lol.
Old 01-16-11, 04:56 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the actual leather messed up? Because if the leather itself is damaged no amount of cleaning will do the job.
Old 01-16-11, 06:15 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it flaking or are those tiny cracks?
Old 01-16-11, 11:27 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Is it flaking or are those tiny cracks?
It might be tiny cracks. That graininess and texture of the leather on that side has always been there. For some reason the driver's side has always been smoother; I'm not sure why. Here's an updated picture.
Attached Thumbnails Leather Flaking - Need advice-leather2.jpg  

Last edited by rebs; 01-16-11 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 11:28 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JForce
Is the actual leather messed up? Because if the leather itself is damaged no amount of cleaning will do the job.
Well I suspect it might be damage or just poor quality leather on that side (especially since no one sits over there)
Old 01-17-11, 05:02 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Talk to dealer. Seems odd on the less frequently used side.
Old 01-17-11, 07:42 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

It would be good to talk to the dealer on this, if it's still under warranty, remember leather requires conditioning to replace its oils lost through evaporation. (The smell of leather comes from these oils.) If these natural oils are not replenished, leather will eventually dry out, become brittle and crack and sometimes flake. Leatherique is one product that should help you in that department.
Old 01-17-11, 09:34 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That, to me, appears as though the coating (color and clearcoat) has adhesion issues on that area.

I almost think that it could have been damaged in transit from the docks, and the dealership had it sprayed, and prepped poorly. Believe it or not dealerships have guys on the payroll, or subcontracted, fix a myriad of cosmetic items from damage incurred during shipping, so It's not all that rare.

Hope they fix it correctly for you. Good luck.
Old 01-17-11, 11:42 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guitarman
That, to me, appears as though the coating (color and clearcoat) has adhesion issues on that area.

I almost think that it could have been damaged in transit from the docks, and the dealership had it sprayed, and prepped poorly. Believe it or not dealerships have guys on the payroll, or subcontracted, fix a myriad of cosmetic items from damage incurred during shipping, so It's not all that rare.

Hope they fix it correctly for you. Good luck.
I was afraid someone was going to say that. I just left a message with my service rep, and in retrospect I probably shouldn't have been so detailed with my message, but hopefully they will call me back and then step up and take care of it.

Is it sad I get apprehensive when I have to deal with my dealership? I mean I've only had 2 below par experiences, and both times they ended up stepping up. Plus the last time i went in for an oil change they fixed a tire for free. Hmmmm...Sure hope I have a positive story to tell everyone later this week. :-)
Old 01-17-11, 11:48 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Please keep us inform on what the dealer tells you.
Old 01-17-11, 04:26 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I got back from the dealership a couple hours ago. They were very nice and professional. The service manager took some pictures to present to the district manager. He mentioned they might want to re-dye it, which I'm not overly excited about. I should hear back by the end of the week.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-11, 03:47 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Just got word a few hours ago. They want to redye it. Anyone have experience with redying leather? I've done a few google searches and am getting some mixed results.
Old 01-18-11, 05:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Redying can help, but make sure it is taken care of to your satisfaction - even after the "basic" warranty is over. If the problem persists or recurs within the next year or two, you should have the right to have the dealer replace the seat under warranty since their attempt at repair did not work. I know I wouldn't leave or allow that type of repair without something like that in writing.

Big Mack

Quick Reply: Leather Flaking - Need advice