Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 09:55 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waiting for the results as well. I use Lexol and love it but have always been curious of the other offerings
Old 04-16-12, 12:56 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the results!!!
Old 04-23-12, 09:55 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd@ProperAutoCare
What model Ferrari do you have?

Judging by your signature, I am assuming that you have a 355? I am pretty certain the leather is coated, although at the time, Conolly was using a semi-aniline finish as opposed to either a true aniline (uncoated) or pigmented (top-coated) leather. The hide was dyed, and a coating was applied on top of that.

To test the leather simply put a drop of water on the seat. If the water beads up it is coated. If the water absorbs into the seat, like it would a paper towel, it is uncoated (true aniline). I would say that 90-95 percent of my cliental is Ferrari's and that I have not seen one with uncoated leather since an original interior 400.
I stand corrected.

It IS in fact a semi-aniline leather, but still very different feeling than ANY Semi-aniline leather I have ever seen in any car.

Old 04-23-12, 09:59 PM
355F1
Racer

Default First results!!!

I will upload pic first thing tomorrow morning.

(Left to right)

1. Untreated side looks normal, but does feel slightly rougher than BOTH treated sections.

2. So it appears that the Lexol DOES leave a slight bit of a shiny sheen....It doesn't necessarily look bad or unnatural....but it is slightly noticeable. It is also about as soft as the Leatherique'd section to the right...

3. The Leatherique has actually made the leather feel a tad softer while retaining the natural sheen of the leather.

I'm not sure how much a piece of unused leather can dry out over a 20-month period...but the Leatherique made the untreated section feel a tad more dried out....

Not enough here for a long-term result....but the preliminary first treatments are a little foretelling, perhaps.....?

Old 04-24-12, 08:23 AM
355F1
Racer

Pic was on my computer so I have it now!
Attached Thumbnails Leather: Untreated vs Lexol vs Leatherique (LONG-TERM TEST)-headrest-april-2012.jpg  
Old 04-24-12, 10:43 AM
ANCL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So final verdict, recommend Lexol for spritz?
Old 06-10-12, 09:35 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

so what do u think... lexol or leatherique????
Old 06-11-12, 03:13 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Originally Posted by 355F1
I use Leatherique religiously on my Ferrari, but that is because it has OEM Connolly UNTREATED leather.

With the Lexus, there are countless arguments about whether or not conditioners even penetrate the leather due to it being treated.

I hope this test over the next few years will shed some truth as to what is and isn't good for treated leather.
Top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as; Audi, BMW, Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche, for most of these vehicles premium leather is standard OEM specified equipment, but for most it’s a ‘premium’ package that costs upwards of 2,000 USD . This is the niche market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated for.

Unless a Premium Leather option was purchased the type of leather upholstery used by ~ 95% of OEM is a multi stratum covering over the leather hide; the top strata is the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Real leather has a recognizable fragrance that is missing from polyurethane and plastic. Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the steps that will prolong the life of finished leather.

Google "Proper Leather Care" by TOGWT
Old 06-11-12, 05:00 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just brought lexol today and used it on the rx and the gs. Should've taken pics on the before. The rx is a family car so the stains, milk, juice, soda, gummies, and etc wiped clean! I actually left the stains in the car for 4 months and it wiped off without a problem. Including scuff marks! The GS however, is my baby and sad to say, no passenger allowed on this ride. So no stains or scuff marks but i wiped the whole leather interior down. I park my car in the hot scorching texas sun most of the day at work so imma put Lexol to the test! I'll "TRY" to update this in a month to see if there's a difference as far as feel and shine. I bookmarked the page so see y'all in a month!!!
Old 06-25-12, 11:36 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trust lexus to know their product. Owners manual says to use woolite to clean it and lexus website says not to use conditioners on the leather.