Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Two methods for safely washing in the winter!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 11:37 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two methods for safely washing in the winter!

As many of you know our Ask A Pro section helps provide information and advice for detailers of all skill levels. This week Marc Harris from Auto Lavish and Ivan Rajic from LUSTR Auto Detailing published articles about their specific process for washing in the winter. Winter washes provide a unique challenge because of low temperatures and extremely filthy vehicles, but both articles outline how to wash safely in spite of these conditions. These articles have tons of high quality images and Marc's article includes a video as well. Please take a few minutes to learn something new today!

How To Safely Wash Your Car In The Winter from Marc Harris (Auto Lavish)

Winter Washing With Optimum No Rinse (ONR) from Ivan Rajic (LUSTR Auto Detailing).

Through Feb 11th we have most of the products used in these articles discounted in our Winter Wash Sale! As always if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Happy Detailing!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-09-11, 01:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I've used ONR for the first time a few days ago. It worked great, but since my daily driver had a bunch of salt on it, the salt is still visible inside the gaps and cracks.

My point being, is if you want to thoroughly was a car in the winter where salt is used on the roads, you CANNOT do away with a rinse-less wash. You still have to at least go through a car wash to rinse the salt off before coming home and using the ONR.

I admit the car looks a million times better, but for a perfectionist, I'd still want to rinse the car FIRST to get the excess salt off. Otherwise it's a great product, I love it!
Old 02-09-11, 04:59 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

I agree during the winter months I feel like I'm settling with results at times, depending on how cold/snowy/salty it is. We have had way more snow than our typical winter here in NY and it's only early Feb! The ONR is a huge help during this time!
Old 02-09-11, 11:07 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree Greg! I was honestly amazed. I don't know if waxing my ES with Collinite 476 prior to the winter had anything to do with the results I got when using the ONR, but it hasn't been washed since October and the salt and road dirt just glided right off the car! The car had LOADS of salt on it. I guess if I opened each door and did the doorways also you wouldn't even see the salt residue I was mentioning earlier.

It really is an amazing product. To this day I always thought it was impossible to wash a car at your home in the winter months....but IT IS possible!
Old 02-10-11, 04:48 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran out of ONR earlier this winter and I recently tried using high pressure water and soap to clean the car at a car wash place. I was able to remove most of the dirt but in direct sunlight, you can easily see a layer of dirt still on the car. Looking forward to using the ONR and a wash mitt again to truly clean the car.
Old 02-10-11, 08:24 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I ran out of ONR earlier this winter and I recently tried using high pressure water and soap to clean the car at a car wash place. I was able to remove most of the dirt but in direct sunlight, you can easily see a layer of dirt still on the car. Looking forward to using the ONR and a wash mitt again to truly clean the car.
Yea unfortunately a pressure washer can only remove just so much in most instances. Once you get your ONR back in stock I'm sure the car will be looking great again!
Old 02-12-11, 01:43 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ONR is the best in the winter. no frozen hands.