Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Headliner help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 04:54 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headliner help

I am wondering is there a good way to clean the pillars and headliner in my car? I left my windows down a little bit when it rained and the pillars steam to be stained? Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

thanks
Adam
Old 02-20-11, 06:32 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try getting someone with a steam cleaner to clean those areas but they sure to be very careful when streaming it.

Last edited by Angelo; 02-21-11 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-20-11, 08:30 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
I am wondering is there a good way to clean the pillars and headliner in my car? I left my windows down a little bit when it rained and the pillars steam to be stained? Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

thanks
Adam
The 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover is a great product for fabrics, vinyl, plastic and more. I highly recommend it for all over the interior. Mist it on the dirty areas and agitate them with soft brush or microfiber towel. It should make it look more like new again.
Old 02-20-11, 09:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
Try getting someone with a stream cleaner to clean those areas but they sure to be very careful when streaming it.
Angelo, did you mean a steam cleaner? I thought it was bad to use them near SRS (airbags) for the most part?

There is a product called Prep-Sol 70 by 3M that works wonders on removing stains and gunk from headliners and soft suedelike materials. Usually available at paint shops, it's another option. IF YOU USE THIS, WEAR GLOVES AND DO IT OUTSIDE. It contains a good amount of xylene, which is not really great to breathe (hence the do it outside part).

Big Mack
Old 02-21-11, 05:14 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Big Mack, been a long day.
Old 02-26-11, 07:19 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback I will give it a try, and keep you posted.
Old 02-26-11, 07:31 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Any good soft brushes that I can purchase?
Old 02-26-11, 08:32 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go buy a Mr. Clean magic eraser, trust me dude, just go buy it. Ive cleaned 2 of my cars headliners with them and its excellant and cheap. Just bring a bucket of warm water out to the car with you to ring it out often. Ring it out til its damp then in short light strokes in the same direction rub the problem areas.
Old 02-26-11, 10:26 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be warned that those erasers are like very fine sandpaper. So light strokes in an inconspicuous spot is necessary to see how it affects the headliner
Old 02-27-11, 06:44 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Be warned that those erasers are like very fine sandpaper. So light strokes in an inconspicuous spot is necessary to see how it affects the headliner
yeah testing in a spot is always good. but I cleaned my old VW's headliner with it and it looked brand new when I was done. I also picked up a used IS250 last april and cleaned some light stains left by the previous owner. i highly recommend it
Old 03-01-11, 08:12 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

great thanks for all the help
Old 04-06-11, 10:07 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

So do I spray my headliner with 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and then use mr Clean magic eraser to clean it?

And is the eraser that we are talking about?
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do
Old 04-07-11, 09:43 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
So do I spray my headliner with 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and then use mr Clean magic eraser to clean it?

And is the eraser that we are talking about?
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do
yeah thats the one. and no dont spray it with anything. the eraser by itself works just fine. remember dampen the eraser dont have it soaking wet. you dont want to mess with the glue under the headliner and have it end up sagging one day. just make sure its damp and with short strokes in the same direction rub lightly.
Old 04-07-11, 08:54 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

I cleaned my headliner the other day using Folex and a terry towel. Spray the folex on the towel generously, then rub in one direction. Got rid of the dirt so quickly, I started doing the entire headliner. Took about 10 minutes and it looked great. You never want to get the headliner too wet or it may "delaminate" from the roof. The lexus headliner seems pretty thick to me though so may not be an issue. I don't like the magic eraser for this since it will spot if you rub it in a spot too vigorously. They are good for getting dried wax residue off of plastics and vinyl though...
Old 04-07-11, 08:59 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Angelo, did you mean a steam cleaner? I thought it was bad to use them near SRS (airbags) for the most part?

There is a product called Prep-Sol 70 by 3M that works wonders on removing stains and gunk from headliners and soft suedelike materials. Usually available at paint shops, it's another option. IF YOU USE THIS, WEAR GLOVES AND DO IT OUTSIDE. It contains a good amount of xylene, which is not really great to breathe (hence the do it outside part).

Big Mack
Xylene dissolves plastic and glue, is a known carcinogen, and reeks to high heaven. I used to use it in the lab under a fume hood. I don't think you want to be using it on your headliner...

Quick Reply: Headliner help