Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 12:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

how do YOU clean your rims (depth/width)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 04:51 AM
jlho1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do YOU clean your rims (depth/width)?

i wash my car weekly and have been thinking of the best method to clean the entire rim, microfiber towel and my hand, a wheel brush or another method. what do you use? i feel as if the rims arent clean in their entirety, the car isnt completely clean. suggestions or idea are welcome. TIA
Old 03-07-11, 09:16 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a daytona or similar wheel brush. Some people have 2, one that they bend to get behind the spokes, and one they don't bend to get the barrels and everywhere else (if you constantly bend and unbend one brush the wire will eventually snap)

Use dedicated wash media (sponge/mf) and wash the wheels first so you don't end up splashing dirty spray onto already washed panels. I wax my rims so I don't need to use harsh wheel cleaners that often to get them clean, just car soap and water.

For drying, I use some old black microfibres that I now use for my wheels exclusively (they are the only black ones I have).

I've read that people also use their used clay that is too dirty for the paint on their wheels but you have to still check for grit or you can scratch your rims.

Don't forget the wheel wells. Although if you are running flush, you probably can't get to them...

happy detailing

Last edited by embolism; 03-11-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 12:58 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

I have used ALL of the available wheel brushes and nothing (IMO) comes close to the Wheel Woolies.

Most wheel brushes feature an identical gauge steel wire, despite marketing claims, than will bend and eventually snap, making the brush useless. Also the fingers of the brush will cover you in brake grime.

The wheel woolies use a super soft lamb's wool tip and a strong PVC based handle, so you can really work them around the barrel of the wheel with out fear of them breaking.
Old 03-09-11, 01:21 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I agreed with Todd on this one also, but you can go one step further by removing each wheel off and clean them and then top them off with Opti-Seal sealant or Wheel Wax. That way you can clean the wells too and will be easy to maintain in the future.

http://www.properautocare.com/os2007c.html

http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html
Old 03-10-11, 08:00 AM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

Wondering what people use to clean there wheel wells?
Old 03-10-11, 08:17 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

I usually use the Wheel Woolies that I mentioned above in combination with either car soap (if they are fairly clean) or a diluted All-Purpose Cleaner like Optimum Power Clean.

Todd
Old 03-10-11, 02:39 PM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

that is what i use on my rims. I feel like they are too good to be used on the wheel wells. I wouldnt want to use the same one on rims and wheel wells. Was thinking of a scrub brush but seemed kinda harsh.
Old 03-10-11, 02:51 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Car wash soap and occasional polish/wax is all I do to my wheels and I clean the inner lip weekl. After almost three years my cheap wheels still shine like new.
Old 03-10-11, 03:04 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ez detail brush/daytona brush like embolism said. that's how i get my wheel wells and inner barrels clean.
Old 03-17-11, 12:08 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jetfire
ez detail brush/daytona brush like embolism said. that's how i get my wheel wells and inner barrels clean.

I use the Daytona/Pinnacle Wheel Combo when I clean my wheels. The Daytona Speed Master is flexible enough to get in to all the hard to reach areas and works wonders on wide wheels. When used with Pinnacle's Clear Coat Safe Wheel Cleaner, there are very few jobs that it can't handle.

Once all the hard to reach areas of the wheel are clean I switch over to the Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush to clean the face of the wheel and the wheel wells.

Old 03-17-11, 12:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your really **** like me, once every couple months you'll jack the car up and take off each wheel. Then clean the whole wheel, inside and outside, apply some wheel wax and spray some Armor All wheel protectant inside and on the face and then put em back on. SO easy to wash off with soap and water if you do this.

IMO, its worth the hassle of taking them off because car soap and water will wash it to pretty much brand new condition again for a good month or so afterwards.
Old 03-17-11, 01:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Some one actually used the Amor All product. It works!
Old 03-17-11, 01:57 PM
MrKV
Rookie

My rims aren't anything special but I do like to keep them shining.
I'll use soap/water w/ a rag or sponge, then I'll use some synthetic wax after that.

Nothing special but it gets the job done.
Old 03-19-11, 01:25 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
If your really **** like me, once every couple months you'll jack the car up and take off each wheel. Then clean the whole wheel, inside and outside, apply some wheel wax and spray some Armor All wheel protectant inside and on the face and then put em back on. SO easy to wash off with soap and water if you do this.

IMO, its worth the hassle of taking them off because car soap and water will wash it to pretty much brand new condition again for a good month or so afterwards.
i do the same thing. take off the wheels and do the inner barrels and behind the wheel face with sealant. makes cleaning off brake dust way easier.