Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Looking for the best of the best.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11 | 10:32 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Default Looking for the best of the best.

I am looking into finding the best tire/rim cleaner and shine. I want a long lasting glossy tire shine that won't fade due to rain or water.

Also what're peoples opinions on glass cleaner? Any products that seem to work the best? I bought the Rain X one from AutoZone and it didn't impress me that much, so am trying to look into something better and don't want to keep buying buying buying products to find one that really gives the best outcome.

I read a couple of the detailing threads and saw the items they used, but still wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas on things that I could pick-up at my local O'Reilly or AutoZone that'll give me best results.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-28-11 | 04:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what I use.

It comes with a foam applicator as well.
Old 02-28-11 | 04:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Meguiar's High Endurance Tire Gel. Good shiz. But it slings.
Old 02-28-11 | 05:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

You will never find the best of the best if you're shopping over the counter.

The two best wheel cleaners in my opinion are P21S and Sonax....safe on all wheels.
Old 02-28-11 | 05:47 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Those are strong cleaners but unless you neglect your wheels then you probably don't need something that strong. They are both pretty pricey too. Best value is Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner $10 for 35 oz

Pinnacle Black Onyx is probably your best bet for a shiny tire dressing. Stay away from Armor All as it is oil based and turns brown over time. Pinnacle is water based.

You also need to consider waxing your wheels so brake dust doesn't stick to them as easily. This will allow for easier cleaning with car soap and water, which will allow your tire dressings to last longer. If you spray something strong on the rims like Sonax or PS21 then you will have to dress them again b/c it will strip any dressing off the tires as well...
Old 02-28-11 | 06:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
Pinnacle Black Onyx is probably your best bet for a shiny tire dressing. Stay away from Armor All as it is oil based and turns brown over time. Pinnacle is water based.
I never knew it turns them brown over time. I guess I use it too often for it to have that effect.
Old 02-28-11 | 10:28 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Best cleaner is either P21S or Sonax as stated. Use once and then maintain with normal soap and water. You don't need a strong cleaner all the time

As for dressing, 2 coats of Finish Kate #108 work perfect. When it eventually dies, the tire is matte black for weeks
Old 03-01-11 | 04:56 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-01-11 | 05:03 AM
jfelbab

Meg's has just released a new Endurance Tire product in a trigger spray that doesn't seem to sling and dries hard. It is not overly shiny like some and seems to hold up longer than the original gel product.

I like their Quick Wheel Detailer product as well. Cleans well and leaves the wheel very slick to make future cleaning a breeze.

The absolute very best glass cleaner I've used is Meg's Detailer line Glass Cleaner Concentrate. I blows everything else out of the water IMHO. Second would be Stoners IG.

I've also taken to applying Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax on the glass and it acts much like RainX only it's easier to apply.
Old 03-01-11 | 06:13 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Thanks Parker for the quick reply. You never fail to come through.

And thanks everyone for the replies with all the supplies! I really appreciate it and will definitely look into getting some of these things in the future.