Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Good "how to" materials on auto paint and prep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 05:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default Good "how to" materials on auto paint and prep?

My wife put new aero on her track car for an event last weekend and it worked great. That is until she pushed it a bit too far and ended up in a tire wall.

She's safe, just some bent metal with undamaged mechanicals so far as we've found (going to re-examine control arms, replace front wheel bearing just in case). We were able to hammer and pry the fender, door, hood out so that she could drive the rest of the weekend.

We're going to get some replacement parts for her car from a cheapo local place (certa-Fit). Not top quality but for a track car they're fine. It's something like $35 for the driver's fender.

We've got a decent sized Ingersol Rand air compressor with a dryer on it, so are thinking about getting an air sander and sprayer and just doing the painting ourselves as this is probably something we'll need to do again in the future as she starts racing wheel to wheel. We've got an unfinished cellar area in our basement that we can put tarps up and paint in.

I figured some of the detail gurus here might also be paint gurus and know of some good DIY content for paint prep and spray. Haven't googled it yet - I'm sure there are some that I'll find there as well or on youtube.

Have had enough painting done on my own cars to know proper prep is very important. This stuff doesn't have to be anywhere near show car ready though... just need it to be somewhat 'normal' looking to match the rest of the car. The racing rules state it has to look presentable at 50 feet & 50 mph
Old 03-02-11, 08:37 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This site is pretty straightforward Dave, it has 5 links for the prep stage, also to the point and easy to understand, and detailed as to what grits you need for sanding and other important items.

I know there are some pro body guys on CL that will hopefully chime in, and they can give further tips, as can I if needed.

This is a good start IMO...http://learnautopainting.com/surface-preparation/

Sounds like a fun project ahead, you will certainly learn a lot in the process ...enjoy!