Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Headlight Scratches on RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 11:04 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlight Scratches on RX

My headlights are fairly scratched up and are not very clear with an almost glazed look across them. The light output from the headlights aren't affected, but they do look quite aged and well, dull. I have seen other RX330's around and their headlights are very clear and suspect it was due to the environment my car was in before I bought it (i.e. country and long trips). I have debated on whether to replace the headlights but the cost of that is prohibitive.

I suspect that the headlights are plastic and not glass, going by the feel and look. Would I be correct in saying this? If they are plastic, then I was thinking of using this method:

1) Wash headlights thoroughly with soapy water. Work on one headlight at a time and be very thorough.

2) If your headlight is severely scratched, use 600 grit wet/dry sand paper. BE SURE to keep the headlight wet during the whole process, using the spray bottle. Sand the entire headlight, working on small area at the time. This will take a long time. After completion of this step, the headlight should be VERY foggy and contain no deep scratches or pits.

3) Repeat Step 2 with a 1000 grit sand paper. Once again, work on a small area at a time and keep the headlight wet. Upon completion, the headlight should look a little clearer.

4) Now repeat Step 3 with 2000 grit sand paper. After you are finished, the headlight should look much clearer than in the previous step. However, the surface will still be rough with visible scratches.

5) Use a terry cloth to dry the headlight completely.

6) Apply a small amount of rubbing compound to a cloth applicator. Use the applicator pad to apply 3M rubbing compound to a small area at a time, using a circular motion. Be very thorough and use a moderate amount of force. This step is very labor intensive and is critical to a successful restoration. When you are finished the headlight should look much clearer than before. Minor scratches may still be visible.

7) Repeat Step 6, using 3M plastic polish. Be sure to work on a small area at the time and turn the cloth often.

8) If not happy, repeat.
I go this from http://www.ehow.com/how_4920168_rest...eadlights.html

Has anyone tried this before and had any success?
Old 03-13-11, 06:48 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same problem, start with the least invasive first. i initially wanted to go with the sanding method, but was afraid of permanent damage.

i started with some car polish i had around the garage. it helped alot, but thought i could go a little further, so i picked up some headlight specific polish at the auto store, and it restored them to brand new, no sanding required. i did this over a year ago, and they have maintained there like new appearance
Old 03-13-11, 07:05 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks kiwi. I will get a picture of mine posted as they are quite bad. I have used the trick of polish on the lights and they made them "better" but not overly so.
Old 03-13-11, 11:01 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a great thread stickied here that should get you started!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...00-plastx.html

Don't be afraid to use sandpaper. If the scratches are as deep as you say, than sanding the lights might be the only solution to permenantly and completely remove those scratches. If they are not that deep what I usually do is use a 3-4" Wool pad on a small backing plate with an aggressive compound and follow up with 3 foam pads and a mild to super-fine polish (yellow>orange>white/green). Works perfectly every time and makes the headlights virtually brand new looking.

Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZg9cj2hxI

That is the best video on the internet and is almost identical to how I do things. If you don't have a rotary, you could do away with a drill, but it will take alot more time.
Old 03-13-11, 06:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please make sure to seal your headlights with either a sealant or wax from time to time to prevent discoloring. By sanding your headlight you are removing the outer UV resistant layer so it has to be replaced with something else. Just some food for thought
Old 03-13-11, 09:26 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking of using crystalite to protect over the top of the headlight (just would have to find someone to do it).