Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help, cleaning tips/tricks for cashmere interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:29 AM
mikev6789
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, cleaning tips/tricks for cashmere interior

Does anyone use any particular cleaning products and/or have tips for cleaning the floor mats, & keeping carpeting clean for the light color interiors, specifically cashmere. Steam cleaning, vacuuming & shampooing with Dawn (b/c of grease removing properties) then pressure wash have come to mind.
Old 03-26-11, 11:36 AM
AndyUK
Rookie

I'm very interested in this too. Also the best way of getting the blue from my jeans off the seat.
Old 03-26-11, 12:19 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank goodness for black interiors... I'm not sure you could get ink out of the leather.
Old 03-26-11, 12:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spot test with diluted rubbing alcohol and see if it damages the leather.
it should be able to get rid of clothing dye.
Old 03-26-11, 02:12 PM
mikev6789
Driver School Candidate

Default For leather...

I got a tip I would never have thoght of, but Dove soap on a wet hand cloth or better yet probably a microfiber IMO. Get soapy mix in bucket & ring cloth virtually dry. The soap gently cleans, but also has moisturizer in it to "do no harm", go back w/ clean damp cloth & & let air dry thoroughly Finally go over w/ mild leather product like McGuires or comparable w/ no oils. It stated saddle soap way too harsh & will actually dry leather out & do more harm in long run w/ a long list of other cleaners. Makes sense to me.
Old 03-26-11, 02:15 PM
mikev6789
Driver School Candidate

Default Black floor mats

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Thank goodness for black interiors... I'm not sure you could get ink out of the leather.
Has anybody just gone back in w/ OEM black floor mats in cashmere interior cars? The thought seems like a reasonable solution, & may match the contrast of the dash or look like hell! I dunno, anyone?
Old 03-27-11, 01:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If there is grease on the carpet, floor mat, seats, etc. BEFORE you spray anything on it, use a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner. It will dissolve the grease away, within seconds. It works great. If you have already wet and cleaned it with something else, wait until completely dry and try this method. Not for use on leather.

To remove dye form blue jean wear, use a body solvent. Its a little bit stronger than rubbing alcohol, but no where near the gasoline/acetone state. Try a little spot first, just to see what it does. It shouldnt hurt the leather. Then use a good cleaner, then use a conditioner...

The jeans must be somewhat wet/sweaty for this to happen, especially after playing golf.. The belts are the worst enemy when wet on leather with light color interior.

Let me know if it works... Another one of my detailing secrets!