Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

window tints

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 06:13 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tints

Hello CL. I'm trying to remove my front passenger and driver side window tint because of a fix it ticket I got. I want to avoid taking it to the shop because they will keep the car for a day or too. And I use it as a my daily car so I'd rather do it myself. Any suggestions on what tools, chemicals to use to remove them? Thanks!
Old 03-29-11, 10:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by jimmysc3
Hello CL. I'm trying to remove my front passenger and driver side window tint because of a fix it ticket I got. I want to avoid taking it to the shop because they will keep the car for a day or too. And I use it as a my daily car so I'd rather do it myself. Any suggestions on what tools, chemicals to use to remove them? Thanks!
They shouldn't need it for more than a day (certainly not "too" or two )

If you want to do it yourself, you can either use steam to melt the adhesive (very time consuming) or you can slit the tint at the upper corner with a razor blade (careful, these should be new & very sharp to do this job) and spray it with an ammonia based window cleaner (like Windex). It must have ammonia to do the job the best way - the same way it activates the adhesive, it reacts to help remove it.

Slowly peel it as you get more cleaner worked in so you do not tear it. You want to work steadily so you don't separate the layers, but slow so it doesn't tear too bad.

Once you get it all peeled off, you'll need to clean with window again to ensure you got all the glue. May come in handy to have some Goof Off around for this part.

I recommend covering your door panels with a plastic bag taped at the window trim to avoid getting tons of window cleaner all over it. It's not exactly made for sitting on the plastic and vinyl trim.

Big Mack
Old 03-30-11, 05:48 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a heat gun to the entire window, then slowly start to peel off. Then spray the window down with Windex and go to town with a brand new razor blade. Make sure to keep the window saturated.
Old 04-02-11, 06:13 PM
UrHookUp
Driver

Hmm. That sux. I got my Limo Tinted & the front windshield is done in one sheet.
But I am in FL.
Old 04-03-11, 11:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

When my friend's shop removed mine, he used a steam gun and stripped the front windows on my SC in five minutes.
Old 04-03-11, 02:53 PM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

go over to tintdude.com lots of good info on tinting and removing tint.
Old 04-03-11, 04:04 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Take a heat gun to the entire window, then slowly start to peel off. Then spray the window down with Windex and go to town with a brand new razor blade. Make sure to keep the window saturated.
This is the best way I have found. Make sure to change razors often...on per window really. But don't use razors on the rear window. If you don't get all the glue off the back, steel wool (YES, steel wool) and laquer thinner make the glue brittle and the Windex and a good rag should dod the rest. But before that, go VERRRRYYYYY slowly with the heat gun/hair dryer, whatever you have. G/L