Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

When does getting a PC make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 11:02 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does getting a PC make sense?

All, I am a Lexus (GS) owner that likes to take care of his car. I have yet to polish it as I have been very careful when washing to eliminate swirls. The day it needs is coming, so I have been researching the tools available to do the job right.

Here is my question on one widely advocated tool, the Porter Cable 7424XP or any other similar tool.

Please correct me, but the value of a PC lies in the ability to effectively polish and the time savings of polishing your car.

However, I am also learning that there is a finite number of times you should polish your car to ensure sufficient levels of clear coat. Especially for the cases in which you keep your car for extended periods of time (which I do...9-10 years+).

Doesnt this limit the usefulness of the PC over the life of the vehicle?

I guess it all depends on the difference in results and the value I place on the time savings when I do polish (compared to doing it by hand)??

If my time is worth $50/hr (?) then I break even at a 3 hour time savings (cost of a PC is $125 + pads)? Due to the limited number of times I will probably polish, I might use this machine 2-3 times?

Please correct my analysis...just trying to understand whether picking something like this up really makes sense for me.

Yes I have other cars but the GS is the one I really spend time ensuring it looks its finest.
Old 04-07-11, 12:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Keep in mind, a tool like a PC can come in handy in so many different ways.

Last I checked, there are at least a few attachments for the PC that enable you to clean your carpeting in your car. That's something else to think about.

You can use it to apply a nice coat of sealant or wax, which will save you time as well.
That's alot of use for only about $120 bucks...
Old 04-07-11, 01:22 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I was not sure how to look at the waxing application.

After I apply the wax, I typically dont wait too long befor removing.

I would assume that I could use the PC to apply the wax, but would have to put the PC down to remove the wax by hand or switch out the finishing pad??

Is this cumbersome or easy and a time saver?

Sorry to be such a noob on this stuff.

Last edited by MelYW; 04-07-11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 01:27 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've owned a PC since 1995. I have never had any paint problems even on my old 1991 MR2. You have little to fear with regards to removing too much paint with a PC.

A PC makes polishing and swirl removal about ten times faster than doing it by hand. It will also be able to correct some marring that you simply can't remove by hand.

If you decide on a PC I'd strongly suggest looking at the new microfiber pads that were recently introduced.

Several vendors that support us here at CL offer packages at a discount.
Old 04-07-11, 01:51 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most waxes benefit from being applied thin. You can apply by hand but it is almost guaranteed that once you start getting tired, you will start applying too thick which sometimes makes it harder to wipe off and is a waste of product. Most ppl don't bother with the bonnets for removing wax. It is easier and probably faster to remove by hand with a nice paint worthy microfibre.

I'm like you, I'll probably correct my car no more than once per season in the spring, and then use proper wash techniques to keep er swirl free. For the odd swirl, I'll throw on a glaze, wax then call it a day...

Thing is, to correct a car by hand is almost impossible and to take it to a detailer for a 3 step correction starts at $400. For that kind of money, I'll buy the stuff and learn to do it myself (practice on your less expensive cars first or get a hood from the junkyard)...
Old 04-07-11, 05:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I think everyone should have at least a PC in their arsenal.
Old 04-08-11, 04:47 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MelYW
All, I am a Lexus (GS) owner that likes to take care of his car. I have yet to polish it as I have been very careful when washing to eliminate swirls. The day it needs is coming, so I have been researching the tools available to do the job right.

Here is my question on one widely advocated tool, the Porter Cable 7424XP or any other similar tool.

Please correct me, but the value of a PC lies in the ability to effectively polish and the time savings of polishing your car.

However, I am also learning that there is a finite number of times you should polish your car to ensure sufficient levels of clear coat. Especially for the cases in which you keep your car for extended periods of time (which I do...9-10 years+).

Doesnt this limit the usefulness of the PC over the life of the vehicle?

I guess it all depends on the difference in results and the value I place on the time savings when I do polish (compared to doing it by hand)??

If my time is worth $50/hr (?) then I break even at a 3 hour time savings (cost of a PC is $125 + pads)? Due to the limited number of times I will probably polish, I might use this machine 2-3 times?

Please correct my analysis...just trying to understand whether picking something like this up really makes sense for me.

Yes, after you get to work on all your vehicles at home your friends and neighors will take notice and maybe want you to do their's too and the money you can make will pay you back and you still keep the PC with the other products you got.

Yes I have other cars but the GS is the one I really spend time ensuring it looks its finest.

Yes it does and also save your arm in the long run.

Proper use of this product will last as long you keep your car and won't remove your clear coat to the paint.

Yes, your right. You will be surprise the value and differene you get when you use a PC. I also value my time and money alot. It pays itself off after the 2nd detail you do on your car.

You might use it 10 times or more which I see a big savings in the long run.

Yes, after you get to work on all your vehicles at home your friends and neighors will take notice and maybe want you to do their's too and the money you can make will pay you back and you still keep the PC with the other products you got.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I think everyone should have at least a PC in their arsenal.
Same way I think!
Old 04-08-11, 04:50 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure I'm getting your math. Your signature indicates a 2008 and you say you keep a car 9-10 years. Even if you only use the PC once a year, that's more than 2-3 times over the life of the car. However, your initial investment in time will be a little higher at first as you learn to use the PC by watching numerous online videos and reading how-to's.

I do very little work by hand and enjoy the finished product of my PC labors, but there is the expense of pads, compounds/polishes/waxes, microfiber towels and some cleanup labor when done.

You indicate you're careful when you wash your car. If you enjoy the end product of hand washing at all, you'll really like the end result of a machine polished car.

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-08-11 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-11, 04:51 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Give me a call at PAC and anymore questions can be answer and hope to get you into the Porter Cable 7424XP club like the rest of us are using.
Old 04-08-11, 11:15 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To find the answer to your question, I ask you to try to correct your car with Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and elbow grease. See how far you get before you get tired and annoyed at how little it is correcting. That was how I found my answer. 2 hours on a heavily scratched trunk and I only got half of it done...about 60% corrected mind you

I also use the PC to correct my fridge when it gets too scratched. Lots of uses for it
Old 04-08-11, 03:02 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Even if all I was doing was a final wax, I would buy a PC for the removal and buffing alone. With the softest finishing pad it will remove the hazed wax to a nice shine more efficiently.
Old 04-08-11, 05:08 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Guys, great feedback here, thank you.

As for a tool for waxing, it is not clear yet if many of you use the PC to remove the wax. And if so, how easy is it to use...that is, I assume you use the PC to apply the wax. After application, is it a PITA to switch out the finishing pad, then switch back to the application pad for the next panel, etc.?

As for the number of times I guess I would use this to polish my car, I would assume once a year? So maybe using it 8-10 times, I would easily save money.

Further input welcome! I just don't want another piece of machinery lying around unused.

I picked up a new guitar thinking I would learn to play it...we all know the end of that story!
Old 04-08-11, 05:16 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
To find the answer to your question, I ask you to try to correct your car with Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and elbow grease. See how far you get before you get tired and annoyed at how little it is correcting. That was how I found my answer. 2 hours on a heavily scratched trunk and I only got half of it done...about 60% corrected mind you

I also use the PC to correct my fridge when it gets too scratched. Lots of uses for it
lol, I used my pc and some poorboys ssr to take out a scuff on the clearcoat of a wood table. worked pretty well.
Old 04-08-11, 05:42 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MelYW
I assume you use the PC to apply the wax. After application, is it a PITA to switch out the finishing pad, then switch back to the application pad for the next panel, etc.?
yes it would be a PITA. If you really want to use it to remove wax, then wax the entire car and then switch to a wool pad with a MF bonnet on it. Even then, you might need a few as they get clogged up with product whereas if you were to do it by hand, you would just flip over your MF and continue removing product.

As for the number of times I guess I would use this to polish my car, I would assume once a year? So maybe using it 8-10 times, I would easily save money.
Considering the cost of a full detail with paint correction in Canada starts at $350 and up, you would definitely save money. Once the paint is corrected, you can use less aggressive polishes in subsequent years provided you wash the car properly, don't take it to car washes etc...
Old 04-08-11, 10:34 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also polish marble/granite slabs.

Quick Reply: When does getting a PC make sense?