Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Business Market?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 07:21 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailing Business Market?

I'm throwing around some numbers and contemplating on starting a detailing business. I've searched my area and there is plenty of competition but my target niche would be great quality for really LOW prices. I'm a part time college student right now waiting to transfer for a full time load in two years. I have a PASSION for car, so creating a win-win situation where i could work around cars all day and provide enough money for me during the two years i'm at school here would be a dream. In addition, I have the work ethic and potential to make more money through a entrepreneurial company like this rather than work a minimum wage job somewhere else.

Should i try and pursue this option of course with a little more research? Or am i in a market that's already so saturated past the point were i could make a definite profit outside of family, friends and neighbors? Of course there's start up costs with such a business and i'm prepared to spend between $5-$10k in supplies, any expertise i need to learn and marketing myself as word of mouth will be a majority of my business. May long term goal would be to get in a solid commercial building where customers could drop the car off, but until then would washing at their residence or mine suffice?

Is there a potential for a hard working 18 year old to make some money in this business? That's all i would like to know.

Thanks for the help! And sorry if this is the wrong section to post such a business related question. But i assumed it met the forum criteria for the Detailing Section.
Old 05-04-11, 07:24 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Show us a few examples of your work.
Old 05-04-11, 07:55 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Well.... what do you mean "great" quality at a really low cost? In the world of detailing, great quality means being able to offer 3+ stage paint corrections, variety of different LSPs, steam cleaning/hot water extracting interior surfaces, etc.

This all takes a tremendous amount of work. Good products and tools are NEVER cheap. This is why a good detail costs good money. A good detail also takes ALOT of time. One day is just not enough to produce show-worthy results or world class results. You need to take your time and not rush what you are doing.

Time=money, so when you factor all of this together, YOU would be the one losing at the end because you would work long hours for not much money.

My advice, work slow. The longer you take, the better the results and the more money you make, guaranteed. Remember, every single car you do is your best business card. Not a single high end detailer is cheap.
Old 05-04-11, 08:48 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Show us a few examples of your work.
I'll take some pics of my process tommorow from start to finish. Wash, Clay, Paint Sealant.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well.... what do you mean "great" quality at a really low cost? In the world of detailing, great quality means being able to offer 3+ stage paint corrections, variety of different LSPs, steam cleaning/hot water extracting interior surfaces, etc.

This all takes a tremendous amount of work. Good products and tools are NEVER cheap. This is why a good detail costs good money. A good detail also takes ALOT of time. One day is just not enough to produce show-worthy results or world class results. You need to take your time and not rush what you are doing.

Time=money, so when you factor all of this together, YOU would be the one losing at the end because you would work long hours for not much money.

My advice, work slow. The longer you take, the better the results and the more money you make, guaranteed. Remember, every single car you do is your best business card. Not a single high end detailer is cheap.
Thanks for the post! After doing some research and asking some other detailing business owners i have come to the conclusion that people WILL pay the price to get the quality. So high quality and low price isn't going to work but i will be cheaper than the other "HIGH" end detailers because they will obviously be at a different level equipment and experience wise. My whole consensus right now is to start by wash, wax, clay interior etc. since i am not even close to as experienced as i want to be with paint correction. I am going to practice as much as possible and learn as much as i can to get the expertise i need to compete in this business.

I guess the question i was asking is dependent on the type of work i do? Or is it really dependent on who you know/ how much you charge? Besides paint correction i can turn a stone into a diamond with the proper supplies. I'm a neat freak and a perfectionist so when i wash a car it will be done right.

I'm just seeing if this can be a way (with some start up costs of course) to make some decent money while in JR. College for the next two years before i transfer somewhere else.

Anyways, Thanks again for posting!
Old 05-04-11, 11:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Good luck to you man! It's always a pleasure after a long day of detailing to sit back and see the results! The compliments from people are nice too haha! :-D
Old 05-05-11, 01:02 AM
b3njam1n
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that would work..wanna see some pictures tho
Old 05-05-11, 07:39 AM
nastyemu
Driver

While I admire your passion and enthusiasm for starting a business I'd have to personally say I'd shy away from detailing services from any guy your age.

Put it this way, I've put a significant dollar investment into my vehicle and I would never let an 18 year old advertising "great quality at a low price" near my paint with a high speed buffing tool.

I think you need some more experience working in a detail shop before you take the plunge into going it alone.
Old 05-05-11, 08:37 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nastyemu
While I admire your passion and enthusiasm for starting a business I'd have to personally say I'd shy away from detailing services from any guy your age.

Put it this way, I've put a significant dollar investment into my vehicle and I would never let an 18 year old advertising "great quality at a low price" near my paint with a high speed buffing tool.

I think you need some more experience working in a detail shop before you take the plunge into going it alone.
I totally agree with you from that standpoint. But, if i am able to show consistant solid results that will definitely change their mind. Like i said above, i've changed my mind on the high quality low price and will stick to Fair Market Value but just hone my skills be getting as much experience and practice as i can. In addition, i'm going to start as a wash, wax, clay and interior guy until i get the money/experience/skill to properly do 3 stage paint correction on exotic vehicles. It's a process, and i'm taking it one step at a time!!
Old 05-05-11, 08:41 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Are you doing all of this by hand, Tim?
Old 05-05-11, 09:17 AM
votru
Lead Lap

My advice is start small like with friend and family first then grow from there. And do assist help from one more person as detailing yourself is very time consuming.........you can pay them beer for now till business is good . Good luck with your business .
Old 05-05-11, 09:52 AM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're still questioning your skills, I'd suggest sign up for Meguiars class in Irvine.
It's free and Mike is great teacher. They have basic course and advance course, which requires you to attend basic course first. They also give you certification upon completion of advance course.

Regardless of age, if you have the experience and great portfolio, people will not mind getting their cars detailed from 18 year old. It's great you have the passion and desire to pursue what you love doing. All the professionals had to started somewhere.

I've been doing family and friend's cars for little while and doing your research pays off.
There are several detailing forums and I'd start from there.

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck.
Old 05-05-11, 09:30 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Yep high quality at a low price is not a good strategy. Might want to take a pyramid approach.

Offer different levels of service.

Think about who you want to target....with these different service levels, how profitable is each level?

Starting at a detailing shop to build up experience and possibly a clientele is not a bad idea.

Hopefully someone on this forum who is a detailer can tell you how to get the ball rolling in terms of building your customer base.

If this is your passion mixed with a strong work ethic and a perfectionist service oriented attitude, you have a great start.
Old 05-05-11, 11:20 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start slow and build your portfolio. Word of mouth will carry you pretty far. I started on e46fanatics forums and then just did work for members who PM me. That was 2 years ago. Now I'm known on GT-R forums and other forums despite not even touching a single car of that brand. Its always a shocker when I hear a Lambo owner talking about me at some meets...

I have not advertised once. Just posted in the detailing section of sites and gave hints thats all
Old 05-06-11, 05:52 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

the best way to make a name is word of mouth. start small and make sure your work is top notch. those one or two customers will turn into 2 more then 4 more etc. Also Id take pics of all your work and make a book to show new customers your results. You dont even need a whole lot of money to start. A PC7424, some megs 105, 205, or what ever correction products you like. Then a nice sealant like BFWD or Autoglym HD.
Old 05-06-11, 11:59 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for posting guys! I really appreciate all the advice you have given me as i am totally new to this and 100% receptive to any advice, tips or suggestions you may have. I'm in the process of running through a business plan, it's at it's very beginning stages and i will keep you updated through the whole process.