Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing Cars Inside of Your Garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 06:54 AM
MikeatAG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing Cars Inside of Your Garage

Washing Cars Inside of Your Garage

When I lived in Apple Valley, California back when I was working for Meguiar's and before coming to work for Autogeek, it was difficult to wash your car anytime other than early morning due to the heat, sun and wind. Apple Valley is in the high California Desert, part of the Mojave Desert so it's always windy and VERY dusty.

Temperatures in the summer were always hot throughout the day and the night and the coolest part of the day would always be early morning.

This made washing a car difficult, especially if the car was dark in color.
The Solution?

I washed cars in my garage.
I had purchased a EZ-Up Canopy that came with 3 side wall curtains for mobile detailing and when I would take these plastic curtains and attach them to the sides of the walls to keep water from getting on all the stuff stored in your typical garage.

Worked for me...

If water pools on the floor instead of running outside then you can use a broom or get a floor squeegee and squeegee out the water after your final rinse, anything left will evaporate fast enough...

Old 05-05-11, 09:22 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Cool ..............the most I do is wash/clean my rim inside the garage during winter, probably not car since spraying water everywhere when washing my car .
Old 05-05-11, 07:32 PM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

i wash my car in my garage basically year round. I just use a nozzle that has the shower setting that doesnt put much water pressure out and my walls have never gotten wet. If you had a floor drain it would help drain the water other wise the floor squeegee does work very well.
Old 05-05-11, 08:27 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quickmatch
i wash my car in my garage basically year round. I just use a nozzle that has the shower setting that doesnt put much water pressure out and my walls have never gotten wet. If you had a floor drain it would help drain the water other wise the floor squeegee does work very well.
Floor drains in the garage... I would literally kill to have that

I'm talking about real ones and not just the tiles you buy with the drains underneath.
Old 05-05-11, 11:23 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike! Long time no talk. I was the guy who brought in those melted "unmeltable" Lake Country backing plates back in the day during those classes to show you. Glad you're enjoying your time at AG

As for going on topic, I use ONR in the garage with the door closed. I only open it when I'm finished but only a crack to help air out the garage floor
Old 05-06-11, 05:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Mike. Welcome to CL. Good to see you here.

Fortunately, (or often unfortunately) I live in a cooler climate, 37° this morning. Wish I had a drain in the garage though. Washing in my garage in the winter would result in ice on the floor. LOL!

BTW, Thanks for the great job you did on MOL over the years. I believe you set the tone for that forum and raised the bar for others. It's good to have your knowledge and experience in the CL forum.
Old 05-10-11, 04:59 AM
MikePhilli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87

Hey Mike! Long time no talk. I was the guy who brought in those melted "unmeltable" Lake Country backing plates back in the day during those classes to show you. Glad you're enjoying your time at AG

As for going on topic, I use ONR in the garage with the door closed. I only open it when I'm finished but only a crack to help air out the garage floor
Pretty hard to forget those backing plates, luckily everything improves with time...

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Hi Mike. Welcome to CL. Good to see you here.

Fortunately, (or often unfortunately) I live in a cooler climate, 37° this morning. Wish I had a drain in the garage though. Washing in my garage in the winter would result in ice on the floor. LOL!
The perfect garage would have a drain in the middle of the floor and be all set up for washing and waxing our cars...

Originally Posted by jfelbab

BTW, Thanks for the great job you did on MOL over the years. I believe you set the tone for that forum and raised the bar for others. It's good to have your knowledge and experience in the CL forum.
Thank you for the kind words, no one knows the behind the scenes story behind the bringing up of MOL and where all the classes came from, the Saturday Classes, the Thursday Night Classes, which started out as Wednesday Night Classes, the Extreme Makeover Classes and the Roadshow Classes...

Meguiar's, like AG provided me with an outlet for my passion... I had a good run with Meguiar's and now with AG the future just keeps getting brighter...

Has anyone caught our TV show yet?

Old 05-10-11, 06:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePhilli
Has anyone caught our TV show yet?

TV show??? Tell me more, Mike.

You have a very expansive group of "How To" videos on the AG website, BTW. You've been busy at AG.

Your passion is evident. I recall a fitting bit of advice my dad used to often tell me some 50 years ago when I was trying to decide on a career path. "Find something you love to do and you will never have to work a day in your life." It's pretty clear you found yours.
Old 05-10-11, 08:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I used to wash my car in the garage almost every other day during the winter before i had my unlimited washes, just use a shower nozzle type thing and take full advantag of a floor drain if you have it
Old 05-10-11, 08:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Very interesting idea Mike! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
Old 05-10-11, 10:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I actually melted 3 more after I showed you those (Menzerna PG and PC was quite the combo before M105 came out to remove sanding marks but that was the drawback). Now they are safe to use thankfully!

Please do give us more info on the TV show!
Old 05-10-11, 11:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I've done this a few times when my parent's cars weren't in the garage. It's a great idea in the summer and winter. It's really dusty in Oklahoma so I end up doing everything in the garage most of the time.

I need to get a drain put in the garage. It would help a lot!
Old 05-11-11, 06:03 PM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by huy33
Floor drains in the garage... I would literally kill to have that

I'm talking about real ones and not just the tiles you buy with the drains underneath.
No i am talking real floor drains. Hooked up to your sewer line. I actually put 2 of them in my garage when i built.