Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Toothpaste to clean headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 09:34 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Toothpaste to clean headlights?

Does this really work? Anyone have experience?
Old 05-05-11, 09:38 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you trying to do that car wash soap can't

If you have hazing, then toothpaste won't cut it. You will need to wetsand then polish the plastic to get the sanding marks out.
Old 05-05-11, 11:03 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, toothpaste can be used as a compound since it's abrasive.
You'll have better luck wet sanding with 2000 grit, Plasti-X to buff out and was to clean up.
Old 05-05-11, 11:16 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I'd recommend PlastX first before wetsanding. Least abrasive method
Old 05-06-11, 05:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd expect that you would find toothpaste would not have as uniform an abrasive size as you would find in a product like PlastX, SwirlX, ScratchX or Meguiar's #205. I'd trust these to do a better job and leave better results. There is also the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration kit.
A safe & effective hand sanding & machine polishing system that restores optical clarity to severely oxidized, yellowed & scratched headlights. Professional results are made easy with Meguiar's® Sanding Pad & Finishing Discs (1000 & 3000 Grit), followed by Meguiar's® Easy Buff™ polishing pad that attaches to your drill. The included Headlight Protectant provides UV protection and helps keep restored headlights looking like-new longer!
Toothpaste would not be as effective so I think using products designed for the task at hand is a better idea.
Old 05-06-11, 06:11 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it! give it a try or go the way eyezack has mention.
Old 05-06-11, 11:04 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'd expect that you would find toothpaste would not have as uniform an abrasive size as you would find in a product like PlastX, SwirlX, ScratchX or Meguiar's #205. I'd trust these to do a better job and leave better results. There is also the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration kit.

Toothpaste would not be as effective so I think using products designed for the task at hand is a better idea.
Toothpaste is a VERY fine abrasive, but it likely won't have the power to do anything to hazy headlights. Your suggestions are SPOT ON!
Old 05-06-11, 11:21 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Does this really work? Anyone have experience?
Really? Its a Lexus bro
Old 05-07-11, 02:20 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plastx works pretty well for yellowed headlights
Old 05-07-11, 04:06 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

plastx works but it takes a long time. If you have hazing, then wetsanding is the way to go. My fogs were basically frosted from all the highway driving the previous owner did. I taped them off, used 1500, then 2500 with a car soap and water spritzer, then plastX with a wool pad on a drill attachment (meg's headlight kit). Took about 15 minutes for each light and afterwards I could see the bulb again. The lights are much brighter too.

don't worry about least aggressive method first. That is for clearcoat. You can't take off that much plastic by wetsanding, no matter how hard you rub.
Old 05-07-11, 06:29 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done this to my Max and a friends Civic with good results. It all depends upon how bad your lights are and what you expect. Since it is a no cost option you have nothing to lose. I saw it first on "Two Guys Garage".
Old 05-07-11, 11:21 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
plastx works but it takes a long time. If you have hazing, then wetsanding is the way to go. My fogs were basically frosted from all the highway driving the previous owner did. I taped them off, used 1500, then 2500 with a car soap and water spritzer, then plastX with a wool pad on a drill attachment (meg's headlight kit). Took about 15 minutes for each light and afterwards I could see the bulb again. The lights are much brighter too.

don't worry about least aggressive method first. That is for clearcoat. You can't take off that much plastic by wetsanding, no matter how hard you rub.
You remove the UV resistant layer buddy...
Old 05-08-11, 06:22 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

yes but if it's that old or sandblasted that you are needing to do this in the first place, that UV resistant coating is already long gone. You can also recoat (cquartz, spar varnish with mineral spirits, or lamin X) them afterwards...
Old 05-08-11, 10:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
yes but if it's that old or sandblasted that you are needing to do this in the first place, that UV resistant coating is already long gone. You can also recoat (cquartz, spar varnish with mineral spirits, or lamin X) them afterwards...
True, but I recommended my method as a starting point. Why would he have to do all those steps if its potentially as simple as taking a polish to it? Until we actually get feedback from the guy or pics, I'll stand by the least aggressive method first
Old 05-09-11, 05:59 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I myself is waiting to see. What did he started to use and finish off with.

Quick Reply: Toothpaste to clean headlights?