Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiar carnauba wax or Zaino: What lasts longer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 01:06 AM
max90034
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar carnauba wax or Zaino: What lasts longer?

What is supposed to last longer Meguiar carnauba wax or Zaino? Thanks
Old 05-11-11, 05:05 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I would say the zaino would last longer due to it's a sealant. Almost all your sealants will last longer, then a carnauba wax.
Old 05-11-11, 06:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Zaino no contest. Zaino is probably the longest lasting car sealant I have ever used, only Colinite 476S seems to last as long from my experience. Mequiars waxes and sealants don't seem to last very long at all in my experience.
Old 05-12-11, 05:45 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Zaino for long lasting.
Old 05-12-11, 09:13 PM
Leaper
Driver School Candidate

sealants can last you up to 6 months depending on how much exposure your car has to the sun.
Old 05-12-11, 09:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Can someone link me to this long lasting Zaino sealant? I think I wanna try some.

I love my Collinite waxes and they do last extremely long (easily longer then 99% of all other waxes on the market).
Old 05-13-11, 07:48 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most sealants are durable

what I choose is based on looks and ease of application so Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Menz powerlock...

I also broke down and got Chemical guys blacklight... still testing it though...
Old 05-13-11, 10:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Can someone link me to this long lasting Zaino sealant? I think I wanna try some.

I love my Collinite waxes and they do last extremely long (easily longer then 99% of all other waxes on the market).
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

You can only really buy Zaino directly from Zaino so it is a bit pricey. All you really need is the ZAIO as a base and then Z2 or Z3 for added gloss/protection. Z8 is a good detail/gloss spray too. With Zaino you need to make sure your finish is completely clean of previous wax/polishing oils, and anything else because it is sensitive and may not adhere properly if it is not clean, you also need some kind of base first like ZAIO before you can put other products on like Z2/Z3 for it to properly work. I have been extremely impressed with the longevity and protection of Zaino products and I have tried many different kinds of waxes/sealants.

Collinite is also very durable and lasts a long time also so don't expect Zaino to blow it away but I still find Zaino seems to last a little bit longer.

Last edited by UDel; 05-13-11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 02:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

You can only really buy Zaino directly from Zaino so it is a pricey. All you really need is the ZAIO as a base and then Z2 or Z3 for added gloss/protection. Z8 is a good detail/gloss spray too. With Zaino you need to make sure your finish is completely clean of previous wax/polishing oils, and anything else because it is sensitive and may not adhere properly if it is not clean, you also need some kind of base first like ZAIO before you can put other products on like Z2/Z3 for it to properly work. I have been extremely impressed with the longevity and protection of Zaino products and I have tried many different kinds of waxes/sealants.

Collinite is also very durable and lasts a long time also so don't expect Zaino to blow it away but I still find Zaino seems to last a little bit longer.
Thanks man.

So for a clearcoated car I'd get the ZAIO and the Z2?

What's the best way to apply it? First do a coat of ZAIO, let it haze, buff off, and then top it with the Z2? How many coats of Z2 do you need?
Old 05-13-11, 06:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Now I am confused. When you said I need ZAIO as a base... what do you mean? I read it's an all in one product that apparently decontaminates (why would they have the clay bar then haha), polishes, and protects.

Do I really need that since I clay my own cars and do my own machine polishing? I'm just looking to try out a new durable wax because I am bored. Can I just go straight to the Z2 after a machine polish and final IPA wipe-down?
Old 05-13-11, 06:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Now I am confused. When you said I need ZAIO as a base... what do you mean? I read it's an all in one product that apparently decontaminates (why would they have the clay bar then haha), polishes, and protects.

Do I really need that since I clay my own cars and do my own machine polishing? I'm just looking to try out a new durable wax because I am bored. Can I just go straight to the Z2 after a machine polish and final IPA wipe-down?
The ZIAO lays a base chemical foundation that the Z2 or Z3 or other Zaino products adhere/bond to. Z2 or Z3 by itself is not going to adhere properly to your finish without a base like the ZIAO applied and wiped off first. ZIAO also has some very minor ability to polish and "clean" the finish like most AIO as well as provides a base coat of protection. The Z2 adds more protection and gloss. You need the ZAIO regardless if you clay your car or not for the Z2 or other Zaino sealants to properly adhere, it is at least a 2 step process. I use 2 coats of Z2 after adding/wiping off the ZIAO base. I also use the Z8 spray between coats of Z2. Don't worry too much about the price as the ZAIO and Z2 is going to last a very long time, you don't need to add much of either product, light coats are better.
Old 05-13-11, 06:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

UDel Thanks so much for explaining that.

I think I will order some in a little bit to try it out!
Old 05-14-11, 12:33 AM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The ZIAO lays a base chemical foundation that the Z2 or Z3 or other Zaino products adhere/bond to. Z2 or Z3 by itself is not going to adhere properly to your finish without a base like the ZIAO applied and wiped off first. ZIAO also has some very minor ability to polish and "clean" the finish like most AIO as well as provides a base coat of protection. The Z2 adds more protection and gloss. You need the ZAIO regardless if you clay your car or not for the Z2 or other Zaino sealants to properly adhere, it is at least a 2 step process. I use 2 coats of Z2 after adding/wiping off the ZIAO base. I also use the Z8 spray between coats of Z2. Don't worry too much about the price as the ZAIO and Z2 is going to last a very long time, you don't need to add much of either product, light coats are better.
Not to complicate the process, but you can also use ZFX mixed with Z2 to allow bonding to a clean (no wax) surface. You can wash with Dawn, just this one time, to remove any previous wax, follow by clay. Then you can lay down Z2 mixed with ZFX to the paint. Btw, if you are putting multiple layers of Z2 on the same day, then it's recommended that you use Z2 with ZFX.
Old 05-15-11, 08:43 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Thanks man.

So for a clearcoated car I'd get the ZAIO and the Z2?

What's the best way to apply it? First do a coat of ZAIO, let it haze, buff off, and then top it with the Z2? How many coats of Z2 do you need?
Two options.

One, apply Z2 (or Z5) with the added ZFX catalizer

Two, apply ZAINO first then Z2 (or Z5).

If you are machine polishing the paint, Z-AIO is not going to offer much of a benefit (in terms of shine). In this case I would go with Z2/ZFX for up to three coats and call it quits.

Old 05-15-11, 08:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Todd@ProperAutoCare
Two options.

One, apply Z2 (or Z5) with the added ZFX catalizer

Two, apply ZAINO first then Z2 (or Z5).

If you are machine polishing the paint, Z-AIO is not going to offer much of a benefit (in terms of shine). In this case I would go with Z2/ZFX for up to three coats and call it quits.

Thanks for clearing that up Todd! I appreciate the help!