Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bumper Marr from Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 12:01 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Marr from Accident

Long story short, I got into an accident in a parking lot, and my bumper has a slight marr which is shown below. I have a witness, there is a good chance that it will be the other drivers fault, and a new bumper is an option too. That being said, both insurance companies appear to be hammered with other claims so I could be driving around with this for a few weeks.

I felt the area and there definately is a small depression into the bumper as if a small piece was gouged out. Is there anything I can do to fill this, and buff out the outlaying scratched area? I'd also rather get this fixed quickly if it can be done well since I consult on the side, and it normally involves driving clients in my car (dinner, on site inspections, etc...) so I don't want to show up in a Kia xyz or Toyota Corolla.
Old 05-16-11, 01:48 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a buffer most of that will come out except for the depression (the paint is missing in that spot)

If working by hand, get some scratch X 2.0 and rub it in well with a foam pad. Might have to do it a few times to make it less noticeable. You can throw some touchup paint on the missing area but it should hardly be noticeable since the car is black and so is the underlying plastic of the bumper.
Old 05-16-11, 02:57 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Fantastic, thanks again. I'll pick some up after the adjuster takes a look tomorrow.
Old 05-17-11, 05:59 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

clay and polish should get most of it out.

the indent not much you can do about that one.
Old 05-17-11, 11:51 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
if you have a buffer most of that will come out except for the depression (the paint is missing in that spot)

If working by hand, get some scratch X 2.0 and rub it in well with a foam pad. Might have to do it a few times to make it less noticeable. You can throw some touchup paint on the missing area but it should hardly be noticeable since the car is black and so is the underlying plastic of the bumper.
Or you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a applicator also.
Old 05-17-11, 08:00 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are around the Irvine area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a hand. Otherwise, its fairly straightforward to correct. I'd start with Ultimate Compound since I know the level of cut of ScratchX 2.0 isn't that much. UC also finishes down pretty well too so that is another plus
Old 05-18-11, 05:20 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-18-11, 09:27 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Scratch X 2.0 uses the same SMAT technology that is in UC, there is just a bit less of the abrasives so they all finish down the same.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...prise-you.html
Old 05-18-11, 11:45 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very well informed about the properties of Meguiars Products. Just trying to make it easier for the OP based on my personal experiences with the products
Old 05-18-11, 01:56 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

likewise, my post was for the OP

should have used the quote feature but was lazy

Last edited by embolism; 05-18-11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 02:38 PM
DickChang
Rookie

Would the same technique help me clean up a huge scratch on the underside of my front lip? I scraped real hard on one of those concrete bars in parking spots while trying to park. Rolled it too far forwards
Old 05-18-11, 11:57 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DickChang
Would the same technique help me clean up a huge scratch on the underside of my front lip? I scraped real hard on one of those concrete bars in parking spots while trying to park. Rolled it too far forwards
Can you post pics of how the scratch looks like? There are different types of scraping so a picture would help best
Old 05-20-11, 11:10 AM
DickChang
Rookie

Finally got some pics:

Old 05-20-11, 08:17 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

ouch

UC will take off some of the marring but you've lost a lot of paint there. Only touchup will help I'm afraid. Buff it with orange pad and UC to see what you can get out then go to town with the touchup paint (apply it thin and build up the coats til you are slightly above surrounding paint. Wait a week then soak some 2500-3000 unigrit in water overnight then wetsand it level and buff again with UC.

or get a lip...
Old 05-21-11, 02:01 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips ya'll. I picked up the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a foam pad for hand use. Hopefully I'll have some decent before and after shots.

Did some work, here are the results.
I cleaned it up with some quick detailer:

I used the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a cotton terry pad, and put a bit of pressure passion into it:

I than applied some touch up paint, purchased from Sewell and using the correct color (SMG), but wow, that's so light! It says it will take 30 minutes to harden so I hope it darkens too.

I'll be quite honest, I'm pretty sure I did a bad job with the touch up paint. I used the MUC again on the touchup paint and it's a bit more flush. If it does not darken more, does anyone have any more advice? I'm thinking of possibly taping off the area and sanding it a bit to smooth out the touchup paint. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Raralith; 05-21-11 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Bumper Marr from Accident