Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PC Polishing & Removel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 01:47 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PC Polishing & Removel ?

Hey guys,

Quick question. I use my portal Cable 7424 once per year to get both my wife's and my vehicle up to par. Living in WI, the winters are tough on the paint and I do everything to avoid swirls etc. Anyway, just last week I used my PC with the Zaino AIO polish on a green pad on speed 3. I use this combo to remove light swirls/imperfections etc and it provides a great base for the following Zaino polishes. The issue is that after I buff off the AIO with MF cloths, I still see a "circular pattern" in the paint from the orbital movements of the PC? They can be wiped off with some hard scrubbing using a damp cloth, but its a huge PITA. I hope to avoid this step when I do my truck in the near future.

For reference, Wife - 2008 IS350 SGM, mine - 2010 4runner black

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Brandon
Old 05-19-11, 09:21 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which Zaino AIO are you using?
Old 05-20-11, 07:11 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it's not the towels you are using to remove the product etching the paint?
Old 05-20-11, 10:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is strange your getting a circular pattern with a AIO, sometimes that happens with a more aggressive polish that you did not work down enough to where it leaves a thick residue. Try using less polish also and work smaller areas. What speed do you have your PC on, that could also have something to do with the reason your getting marks.

If you are using ZAIO that is a very mild polish that has little correcting power and is more of a base coat for Zaino products to adhere to. What might be happening if you are using ZAIO is you are using more then you should or a more aggressive pad to get desired results and it is causing your issues. The last time I looked Zaino has pretty mild polishes. Using ZAIO as a polish can also be more expensive since it is pricey and you would use much less if it is used as just a base for the Z2 or Z3 to adhere to.

If I were you before you Zaino your car I would use a more aggressive polish like Menzerna IP/SIP or a Final Polish if have hardly any swirls/scratches and properly finish down those products to get your finish perfect. Wash those Polishes/oils off and then do a light coat of ZAIO followed by Z2 or whatever Zaino products you have. Zaino makes great sealants but their polishes are not very aggressive, more aggressive polishes from Menzerna or Meguairs can be had for much less that should last longer.
Old 05-20-11, 02:03 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by One HoT
Which Zaino AIO are you using?
The Green Zaino AIO, its their only AIO product
Old 05-20-11, 02:05 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLcoats
You sure it's not the towels you are using to remove the product etching the paint?
Not likely, they are brand new from Detailed image (forum vendor).
Old 05-20-11, 02:08 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UDel
That is strange your getting a circular pattern with a AIO, sometimes that happens with a more aggressive polish that you did not work down enough to where it leaves a thick residue. Try using less polish also and work smaller areas. What speed do you have your PC on, that could also have something to do with the reason your getting marks.

If you are using ZAIO that is a very mild polish that has little correcting power and is more of a base coat for Zaino products to adhere to. What might be happening if you are using ZAIO is you are using more then you should or a more aggressive pad to get desired results and it is causing your issues. The last time I looked Zaino has pretty mild polishes. Using ZAIO as a polish can also be more expensive since it is pricey and you would use much less if it is used as just a base for the Z2 or Z3 to adhere to.

If I were you before you Zaino your car I would use a more aggressive polish like Menzerna IP/SIP or a Final Polish if have hardly any swirls/scratches and properly finish down those products to get your finish perfect. Wash those Polishes/oils off and then do a light coat of ZAIO followed by Z2 or whatever Zaino products you have. Zaino makes great sealants but their polishes are not very aggressive, more aggressive polishes from Menzerna or Meguairs can be had for much less that should last longer.
Thanks! I will try your suggestions. I do use very little AIO and on speed 3. I do own some Poor Boys 2.5 but I figured it wasnt needed since the swirls were minor. Do you feel this will begin to diminish the Clearcoat? If not, I could use the PB2.5 then the Zaino stuff.

Thanks,
Old 05-20-11, 08:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Thanks! I will try your suggestions. I do use very little AIO and on speed 3. I do own some Poor Boys 2.5 but I figured it wasnt needed since the swirls were minor. Do you feel this will begin to diminish the Clearcoat? If not, I could use the PB2.5 then the Zaino stuff.

Thanks,
I would just use the Poorboys 2.5 with a white or orange pad when you polish your car before your Zaino application and see what happens, PB 2.5 is a good medium polish and will do a far better job at removing swirls, scratches, waterspots then ZAIO. Light/Medium polishing once a year or even 2 or 3 times a year is not going to do any significant damage to your clearcoat. Put it on speed 5 or 6, work a smaller area, and make sure to finish down as best you can and experiment a little until you get the desired results.

ZAIO applied afterward will act as very mild finish polish to get rid of any hazing you might get after the PB 2.5. By using the ZAIO mainly as a base for your other Zaino products to adhere to it will last much longer then also trying to polish out swirls with it. I don't use much ZAIO at all when applying it, just a very light haze.

When you are done polishing you need to do either a diluted alcohol wipe down and/or dawn wash to make sure you get all the polish residue and oils off your finish before you apply ZAIO.
Old 05-20-11, 08:56 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Udel does bring up some good points. I'm not all familiar with Zaino products, tried them a few times here and there but I'm not sold on them. If I'm not mistaken, most of their products are preferably done by hand?

Menzerna products are great for PC use especially their new line with less dust. Very easy to use with great results. I would go this route and top off with Z2 if you are going to use Zaino sealant.
Old 05-22-11, 09:53 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The circular pattern you are getting is likely from ZAIO itself and not swirl marks, I have seen it several times with ZAIO when I used to use it. Usually if you reapply a little ZAIO and wipe it off immediately you can remove them with out too much trouble. Otherwise they can be quite stubborn!
Old 06-01-11, 04:34 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Sorry for the late reply guys (just started tonight). I went ahead and used the PB2.5 to start with and so far the results look much better! I will follow up with the Zaino AIO by hand this time then the regular sealants (Z5) etc.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-04-11, 12:31 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Sorry for the late reply guys (just started tonight). I went ahead and used the PB2.5 to start with and so far the results look much better! I will follow up with the Zaino AIO by hand this time then the regular sealants (Z5) etc.

Thanks,
Brandon
Let us know how it turns out Brandon!