Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird Droppings - Ask the Experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 10:47 AM
richkan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

have just returned from a body shop. This one was another one, recommended by Lexus and Toyota guys from the national forums of my country and said to be the best one in Hungary where I live.

The guy moved to Europe from US and has been in the industry for 20 years now... He is a type of guy that deals with Ferraris and other high value cars not only in my country but he is often invited to countries all over Europe by reach people to make their cars look as perfect as it is possible. Seemed to be the best guy available and located only a 10 minutes drive from my home

He started with the PTG, told we are ok to polish. He used clay bar, then polished the surface, used some other sprays (dont know what). After this he used a special something so that we can see the clear results and I dont have to surprise a week later (as it was with the previous body shop). All in all the patch dissapeared, and seems to be perfect now. Hope will not see it again in one week time.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 06-22-11, 10:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep in mind that just any PTG won't really give you 100% peace of mind before polishing. Most of the paint thickness gauges only tell you the paint level on top of the metal. It gives you an overall thickness of microns, but you don't know what portion of the measurement is composed of clear-coat, paint, or primer. I know there is at least one that can tell you the thickness of each layer (Defelsko PosiTector 200 Series (Advanced))... but you're looking at close to $3k for that unit. So be careful even after you get a reading. I remember a guy who got a reading of 180 or so with a ptg before polishing a panel he didn't know was repainted. Well, I guess of that 180, only 20 microns were crappy bodyshop clearcoat, which he burned with a DA polisher.
Old 07-12-11, 12:34 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried compound and polishing it, but no luck. The one thing though is that the patch seem to be a lot lighter than what it was before.
Old 07-18-11, 09:13 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump for answer.

Looking at my hood makes me sad
Old 07-19-11, 05:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Bird droppings can etch right through the clear coat if it was really acidic and left on the paint for long enough. This along with the compounding and polishing could have damaged the clear. We need to see a couple of photos. Take them in good light and place a coin on the paint to give the camera some help in focusing. Use a macro setting if you have it.