Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

fine scratches on my new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 07:31 AM
popcorn925
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fine scratches on my new car

Hi everybody, I got a new RX350 a few weeks ago.

After a car wash, I saw some very tiny scratches on the car body.

But the person said that they use microfiber and won't cause any scratches.

The scratches are very small. You can see them only when you look at the car carefully. Are these scratches unavoidable after a car wash?
Old 05-31-11, 07:54 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cars get scratches, it's a fact of life unfortunately. Even rubbing your clothes against the paint can do it...

not all microfibre is created equal. You want a 70/30 blend that does not have laser/heat cut edges and you must remove the tags before using.

people have dedicated towels for their paint i.e. they never use a mf that has been used on door jambs, or wheels on the rest of their car, even after washing.

Hope you didn't buy a black car cause if so you are in for lots of maintenance. They show everything.
Old 05-31-11, 10:24 AM
popcorn925
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the response, embolism. and my car is black unfortunately.
Old 05-31-11, 10:28 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

The scratches could have come from the wash step as well as the drying step.

Doing the washing yourself, you minimize the chances for error in all steps.

I always use the two bucket method for washing to keep particles from micromarring the paint.

Keep in mind that as time goes on, it is an uphill battle if your car is driven everyday.

Keeping the car perfect is just damn near impossible. You will start to notice pitting on the paint directly behind your wheels (esp in front) from rocks/road debris.

From what you describe, these scratches should be easily taken care of using something like Scratch-X or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound...depending on the severity of the scratches. Always try the weakest scratch removal compound first.

Good Luck.
Old 05-31-11, 10:34 AM
popcorn925
Driver School Candidate

yeah, I live in an apartment and can't wash the car myself. i went to Beverly Hill car wash since they got a good reputation online. They cost $25 for a wash. I think the scratches are unavoidable even you go to a good car wash place.

What I am confused is whether these small scratches resulted from the car wash or from other reasons.
Old 05-31-11, 02:03 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

probably came from the car wash. No matter how good a place is, there is no way they can afford to be as careful as you would be if you were washing. It would take too long, it would use up too many cotton towels (b/c they probably aren't using microfibres or waffle weave drying towels). It's just the price you pay for convenience imo.

My car is black too but I bought it used so it had various chips and dings in it which I am in the process of correcting. The paint that is on there shines like no tomorrow though and there is not a swirl in sight. I never let anyone but me wash it, even in winter. I just take it to the DIY place to get the majority of the stuff off then do an ONR wash in the garage with my space heater plugged in...
Old 05-31-11, 05:23 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You might have a soft paint on your car that will swirl up very easy. Where in NY are you?
Old 05-31-11, 11:24 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please be aware that without proper maintenance, MF towels will become harder or pick up contaminants from other towels (ie washing with cotton rags). Multitude of factors could have caused it. I'd recommend ONR with 2 bucket system. All you need is some shade and Distilled Water and you're set as long as you can dry with a few high quality MF towels. Its quick and simple. I can wash my RX in about 30min
Old 06-01-11, 04:45 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

ONR is the way to go if you can't wash it at your place. Just a few gallons and a few MF towels and your set. And yes just like eyezach has mention you can get it done in under 30 min's. It's worth a look and try for your new ride.
Old 06-02-11, 11:53 AM
melIS350
Rookie

Sorry to sound like such a newb but whats ONR and 2 bucket method?
Old 06-02-11, 01:42 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Optimum No Rinse (like a soap with no suds but contains polymers to encapsulate dirt)

1 5 gal bucket with grit guard to ONR wash
1 5 gal bucket with grit guard to rinse your wash mitt after wiping the dirt off your car before getting fresh ONR
Old 06-03-11, 05:18 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a link: http://www.properautocare.com/1859-O...-Wash-8oz.aspx
Old 06-06-11, 06:21 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+100 on the ONR

Car wash joints may have great MF towels but it doesn't matter if they are not clean when they are used on your car. If you want your car to be swirl free then you are going to have to wash it yourself....pretty much just a fact of life....especially if it is black.