Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get these scratches out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 05:57 AM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get these scratches out?

Just got a Starfire Pearl 08 AWD GS 350. The car is awesome, but it has a few scratches that I am hoping I can do something about. Any suggestions on how I can get these out?

I have only had this for a week so far, and once I figure out what I can do with these scratches I am hoping to apply a clay bar and then wax.
Attached Thumbnails How to get these scratches out?-scratch.jpg   How to get these scratches out?-scratch-2.jpg  
Old 06-05-11, 07:28 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to get them out with a DA buffer, but it looks like the scratch on the side is also a dent ... I would get it fixed properly if so.

You'll find better advice in the automotive care and detailing forum.
Old 06-08-11, 12:21 PM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

I didn't feel very comfortable buffing myself so I got an estimate from a local detailer. He is asking for $150 for the hood and the side that I have shown in the pictures above. He said that he will buff and polish the hood and the scratch on the panel. He sounded very confident that he could make all of that fairly inconspicuous.

It will be an additional $120 if I want the complete car clayed, polished, and waxed. I have relatively little time to devote to this project and adding in the cost of the tools + materials I am thinking of having him do this for me. Are these prices reasonable?
Old 06-08-11, 12:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah the prices are very reasonable... if he is doing good work and not just some BS that price is VERY good.
Old 06-12-11, 01:53 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Yea that price is pretty good, I had a professional buffer work on a customer's Benz for a total of $300.

For which we did a 3 stage buff which removed all the swirls and scratches on the car.
Wet sanding is required for scratches that penetrate the clear coat.

BTW we use a Makita Rotary buffer, 6 variable speeds, and the results were amazing.

Before I purchased the Makita we had a test run with the Porter cable, and the Meguair DA, but the results were not as good as the Makita. The Makita is a Rotary buffer so beginners should be very careful and practice at low speeds.
Old 06-12-11, 04:35 PM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, NVTHSLEX. Yeah, I don't feel comfortable doing some of this myself that's why I am getting it done professionally.

I have setup an appointment to take the scratches out for Tuesday. Let's see how it comes out
Old 06-12-11, 06:19 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shahry
Thanks for the input, NVTHSLEX. Yeah, I don't feel comfortable doing some of this myself that's why I am getting it done professionally.

I have setup an appointment to take the scratches out for Tuesday. Let's see how it comes out
No problem;

Ask the detailer, how many years experience and what compound and buffer he is using ?

By looking at those pics more closely and the price you are paying, they should definately come off.

It doesnt seem any of those scratches past the clear coat.

Keep us updated on those pics, your ride should be shining when its done.

And it should take 3-4 hours for what you are getting done with the final wax.
Old 06-17-11, 05:36 PM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Meh, this was almost a waste of money. I am a little away from the car so no pics yet, but the job wasn't anywhere close to what the shop owner was telling me it would be. I am glad I only went with the buffing, and not the full detailing, because that would have disappointed me even more. What was worse was that the guy put a few miles on the car! I have written a bad review about this place on yelp.

I haven't talked to the owner and I don't think I am going to because I have already wasted enough time and money on this guy and it won't be worth anything.
Old 06-17-11, 08:23 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need a paintless dent repair done
Old 06-19-11, 10:50 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shahry
Meh, this was almost a waste of money. I am a little away from the car so no pics yet, but the job wasn't anywhere close to what the shop owner was telling me it would be. I am glad I only went with the buffing, and not the full detailing, because that would have disappointed me even more. What was worse was that the guy put a few miles on the car! I have written a bad review about this place on yelp.

I haven't talked to the owner and I don't think I am going to because I have already wasted enough time and money on this guy and it won't be worth anything.
Whhhhat a few miles also on it, that is not right. All we do is take out the car from the bay and park it outside when we are done.

As for the job done, those scratches should have easily come out (Except maybe the small one on the panel, that looks like it penetrated the clear coat). Probably the buffer they used or the person operating the buffer is still a novice.

All you have to do is complain to the owner saying the work was not satisfactory and ask for a proper 3 stage buff. Any scratch that has not passed the clear coat is removable. And all they probably did was a 1-stage polish to make the paint look nice.

When they inspected those scratches they should have told you, that scratch is or is not removable.

Good thing you wrote a negative review for them, those reviews really help bring in business or keep people away.

Last edited by NVTHSLEX; 06-19-11 at 10:54 AM.