Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tire Dressing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 04:02 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Tire Dressing

Over 20 years ago I asked my Honda dealer (before I could afford Lexi) about the product they used to get their new (and used) car tires the SHINY BLACK WET LOOK. They turned me onto their "secret ingredient" called SUPER SEAL. It's a tire dressing that many local car dealers use, also made locally (Pittsburgh). I'm, not sure how far widespread their distribution net is, but they generally deal only with detailers and car dealers. The company has allowed me to buy small quantities in gallon jugs for about $25 per gallon, two at a time, plus shipping from the other side of town where they are located. It's a sticky blue substance that smells sweet, but I really don't know what's in it. I transfer some to a spray bottle then use a paint brush after I spray the tire to even it out. It dries SHINY BLACK...WET LOOK. I guess a gallon lasts about 6-12 months depending on how often the tires get dressed. Anyway, the company doesn't wanna sell directly to peons like me any more, so I've tried the following:

MEGUIARS HOT SHINE TIRE SPRAY, TURTLE WAS WET 'n BLACK and ARMOURALL TIRE FOAM. The first two are pump sprays the the last is a foam (probably why it's called "FOAM"!) Anyway, I've tried WITH the paintbrush, WITHOUT the paintbrush and some "rag applied" variants in between. The tires STILL ARE NOT WET LOOK. What can I buy that will give me the WET LOOK SHINY BLACK that you see on dealer showroom cars??
Old 06-05-11, 06:06 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you try Eimann Fabrik Ultra Tire Dressing? It will give you a deep, wet, black finish.
Old 06-06-11, 07:22 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

+1 on what Angelo mentioned.
Old 06-07-11, 12:10 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget about our sale, if you getting any tire dressing.
Old 06-07-11, 12:51 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed, clean, glossy rubber really cleans up the entire look.
Old 06-15-11, 12:28 AM
stw2046
Driver

+1000000000000
Old 06-16-11, 01:08 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Black Magic tire gel is also a very good product. It's water repellant and lasts for weeks (although i wash my car and re-apply twice a week )

The only down side is its a PITA to get off and if you drive before it fully dries (about an hour) the sling is terrible

Other than that, i like it lol
Old 06-24-11, 09:44 AM
filthywet
Driver

i bought maguiars gold class endurance liquid and worked great. great black wet look. no sling at all what so ever.
Old 06-25-11, 11:43 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by filthywet
i bought maguiars gold class endurance liquid and worked great. great black wet look. no sling at all what so ever.
+1. I use this as well and am thoroughly pleased.

I had trouble with the Black Magic stuff - even after sitting overnight it never dried so the sling was terrible. Might have had something to do with it being 115°, but thankfully my rear quarters are well waxed, so it came off relatively pain free. Still not eager to repeat it, so I stick with the Meguiars. I use the standard foam applicator, too, since it's got a curve for the tires already cut in.

Big Mack
Old 06-25-11, 01:09 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Default Shiney and Wet

Like you, I'm looking for something that'll give that wet and shiney look and actually last. The thing I've found that comes close is a product by Turtle Wax. I don't remember the name, Tire Gel or something like that. It comes in an orange bottle that stores upside down like a ketchup bottle. You put the gel on with an enclosed sponge. The only problem is it lasts for only about a week.
Old 07-01-11, 09:57 AM
Rykster
Pole Position

Thumbs down Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel

I'm currently using Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel. It goes on with an enclosed sponge applicator. The shine is not as shiney as ArmorAll Tire Gel and doesn't last (less than a week) very long. Pass on this stuff.