Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Minor scratches and swirl marks on Black Onxy paint.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 07:03 PM
Johnny43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor scratches and swirl marks on Black Onxy paint.

Hey guys this is my first black car and getting this paint to look good is very hard. I had a Dark Blue Toyota Celica and the paint was hard to take care of. But I used Zmyol wax before and it got the paint to look really good.
I had just gotten the whole car buffed out for $200 and it still doesn't look good. I even try the zmyol and lots of other waxes but no luck.

I wanna know what other people are using for wax or even tips and tricks to make this look good.

thank you.
Old 06-05-11, 07:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to polish to get rid of the micro swirls, waxing is just a protective layer~
Old 06-05-11, 07:18 PM
Johnny43
Driver School Candidate

what kind of polish do u us?
Old 06-05-11, 07:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

better to ask your question on this board:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 06-06-11, 04:13 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, do you have a machine?

polishing by hand is very hard and actually takes more skill than using a DA.

In general, steps for a full detail are:

wash
clay
polish
seal
wax

you can read up on polishing at any of the sponsor sites here. Make sure you also read up on how to properly wash your car so once you get it looking fine, it stays that way.
Old 06-06-11, 07:15 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnny43
Hey guys this is my first black car and getting this paint to look good is very hard. I had a Dark Blue Toyota Celica and the paint was hard to take care of. But I used Zmyol wax before and it got the paint to look really good.
I had just gotten the whole car buffed out for $200 and it still doesn't look good. I even try the zmyol and lots of other waxes but no luck.

I wanna know what other people are using for wax or even tips and tricks to make this look good.

thank you.
90-95% (I would argue that it is even greater than 95%) of the look of your paint comes from polishing the surface and creating a smooth finish that reflects (instead of disperses) light. Waxes, whether cheap or super expensive increase the shine of the paint by creating an even smoother surface. So if you apply a wax (regardless of price) to your paint and notice an increase in the shine this is likely because the wax has filled in some of the surface imperfections.

So if the car doesn't look good after a 200 dollar buff then the reason is you didn't get a very high quality buff. Most high level professionals charge between 400-1000 for a truly high quality polish job.

You can use a wax like Autoglym Super Resin Polish which will help fill in the swirl marks (likely created by the 200 dollar buff) and help make the surface look the way it should.