Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car Care Products Survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 11:40 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batmbl

Amen to the black car advice. I DO have a 3-car garage but the 99 Corvette convertible I recently sold absolutely worked me to death trying to keep it clean. No color looks better than black when clean, but keeping it clean is a bear
Add navy/midnight blue to the list of no no's although the dark metallic blue I have is stunning when clean...my next car just might be silver.
Old 10-07-14, 06:26 PM
metalicRED
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RalAegidius
Wash- Mother's California Gold Car Wash

Wax/Polish- Mother's Pure Carnauba Paste Wax (polish only if it seems needed). I apply it with my bare hands, rubbing briskly to warm/soften it before putting on the car. This technique is very thorough and gives me better control of exactly where the wax winds up.

Quick Detailer- Meguiar's, if any.

Dash/Trim- Mother's Preserves Protectant. Works especially well on the soft rubber door seals.

Leather- Zymol, although I'm not happy with the results of it so far. My car is 10 years old and the leather is particularly ground-in dirty. I'm going to try the "Soft Scrub" technique mentioned in other threads.

Wheels/Tires- Nothing special here. Just car wash suds with a soft Oxo brush.

Windows- Varies depending on my mood. I haven't yet found anything satisfactory for removing interior haze, and cleaning the exterior to reduce the glare from the glass' age-pitting. Sometimes I use Glass Wax. Always use newspaper for the applicator. No lint and it doesn't flop around on the dashboard, contaminating it.

Other- For the wash itself, I've begun using an Oxo car wash brush. It's easy to hold, the polymer handle won't scratch the car if I bump it, the bristles are very soft, and the brush generally resists holding onto particular debris. I've used sponges and mitts over the years and they're all lousy because they hold onto the grime and grit and spread it around, scratching the finish.

I've made one attempt at using a Meguiar's Clay Bar, using the car wash solution (diluted) as a lubricant. It works very well in picking up tree sap, bird poo and other weird stains on top of the wax coat. I think using clay takes some practice.

Comments- I dry with a miracle towel for the first pass (like a chamois but holds more water and doesn't get stiff), then cloth diapers (Pampers), and use those for other dressing applications/removal. Seems to be the best material for this.

Ral
I just got the 3 part Mothers paint detailing kit- have you used that or know how the 3 part system works- sure wouldn't want to screw up the Matador Red Mica paint!
Old 10-07-14, 06:56 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wash- GTECHNIQ G5, Optimum Car Wash, Adams Car Wash
Wax/Polish-N/A
Quick Detailer- ONR or Optimum Instant Detailer
Dash/Trim- ONR or Opti Clean
Leather-Leather Master
Wheels/Tires- coated with OC2.0, tires i use Optimum Tire Gel
Windows- ONR or Invisible Glass
Other-Gtechniq C2V3, Sonax Polymer Net Shield
Comments- IMO Gtechniq C2V3 is all you need. i have OC 2.0 on my car topped with Gtechniq C2V3 ( layered) i don't need anything else.

noticed a lot of Zaino users... i remember those days... i was a Zaino fanatic. could never get the white borderless towels, got the blonde but never the white, they were always sold out.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 10-07-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:54 AM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash- Croftgate Wash and Wax or Prevette's wash with out wax
Wax/Polish- No wax use a sealant - Polish: Blackfire
Quick Detailer-Croftgate or Prevette's
Dash/Trim-I use Mothers VLR, Mequires Quick Interior Detail, Aero 303, Ultimate Interior Guard
Leather- Mothers VLR to clean - Blackfire to treat
Wheels/Tires-Prevette's wheel and tire cleaner to clean. Blackfire Tire Jel on DD's, Croftgate Tire Shine on Show Cars.
Windows-Stoners invisable Glass or Warm water with a bit of vinager
Other-various wash mitts, brushes etc.
Comments-
Old 10-13-14, 09:04 AM
metalicRED
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metalicRED
I just got the 3 part Mothers paint detailing kit- have you used that or know how the 3 part system works- sure wouldn't want to screw up the Matador Red Mica paint!
Not sure that I even need part 1 or 2... darn thing is just so shinny as it is- perhaps I'll just go right to the $20 a drop wax and wait for comments. There are a few light marks (scratches) though that I understand the Part 1/2 can get rid of? Perhaps a car show in Tucson when I am there next month might educate me on the possibilities? Like- how shinny is shinny...
Attached Images  

Last edited by metalicRED; 10-13-14 at 09:26 AM. Reason: picture problems