Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Wash Your Lexus?
As Needed
22.17%
Weekly
42.53%
Every 2 Weeks
21.83%
Once a Month
7.58%
Every Other Month
3.85%
I Don't Care
2.04%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Wash Your Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 12:20 PM
DonP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every week in the summer, every month in the winter.
Old 01-15-08, 11:29 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I usually wash my IS between 2 to 4 weeks, depends on my mood and how dirty the car looks.
Old 01-15-08, 01:24 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

i put usually every 2 weeks..but that also depends on the weather..like recently its been raining for weeks now..and when it was decent..it was only decent for a bit then it would rain again..or be FREEZING cold to where my fingers would get frozen trying to wash my car
Old 01-18-08, 01:25 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to wash it once a week and i try to wax it once a month with Zymol. Jnauary is rough in Chicago, salt is everywhere and it is way too cold to wash it in the do it yourself bays. If I am in the area, I stop by Lexus for th free wash (Free-They build it into the price like the first service). If it is freezing out, Lexus shuts the carwash down due to the freezing of the wash pads and potential to scratch the cars.
Old 01-18-08, 05:15 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Never.
Old 01-20-08, 11:48 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
..or be FREEZING cold to where my fingers would get frozen trying to wash my car
Fill your wash bucket with warm water. OR- you can go to your local Academy or Cabelas or even your favorite Dive shop to pick up a pair of neoprene gloves. I use the warm water method to keep my hands warm during washes. The RX330 is so easy to wash compared to my truck.

Chris
Old 01-24-08, 09:02 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

my staff typically only wash the cars when they are VERY dirty, otherwise they just wipe them down after each use. keeps the paint fresh.
Old 01-31-08, 03:10 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

It's been cutting into my sleep, so I've decreased my car washing to every 6-8 hours.

Black cars are so much work.
Old 02-14-08, 09:48 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ LOL ...

It's weird that you mentioned that because I couldn't sleep the other day and decided to go wash my car....it's nice (and a little creepy) to have the carwash place all to yourself at 1AM...
Old 02-15-08, 05:27 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got my LS 400 -- Spent 100$ on all the necessary chemicals/tools/micro's etc to spend a good couple hours on her tommorow. This is what I consider the 'first' major wash. This one will be the basis for the maintenance washes from here on out. -- It doesn't look bad as is, but it really needs some wax. So I bet I'll put a good 2-3 hours at least into it.

It is just like maintaining your engine,.. you can get one that runs ok, but needs some work.. do the major work on the inside, then maintain it from there on out.

So initial wash/wax/claybar/detail hours and hours-- From there, probably once every 2 weeks or so, and that wash will be an hour or less.

I almost bought a buffer, but I think I do a better job with elbow grease.. If I had a professional grade buffer and was taught how to use it without potentially messing up the paint I know I could get a better shine, but I don't do bad by hand. For some reason I am stuck on hard paste wax -- I've never fell into the liquids. Something about the waxing on, and letting haze and then buffing off bit by bit that is nice.

I do need to touch up some spots where rocks have hit etc,.. I checked out some stores for touch up paint, but none had my Champagne color. Willl any Lexus dealership have a 1994 LS 400 Champagne color? If so how much are they gonna charge me for it?

Also, I was thinking after applying the touch up, it wise to perhaps, the next day, put on a dab of clear coat? Or no?
Old 02-19-08, 05:31 PM
jgtile
Driver

Question for those of you who recommended Meguires. Consumer reports says that Turtle Wax is best for new car finishes (I just got a 2008 ES350). You all still feel Meguires is best? Also, what is a detailing spray and is it an abrasive? Two other questions, what do you use on the alloy wheels and what do you use on the inside? The owners' manual only recommends a damp cloth for the inside....? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-11-08, 02:17 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Since it can go 100+ days here without rain, I can go for a very long time between 'full' washes.

I just use my California Auto Duster regularly, and Zaino Z6 to keep it clean, with a bit of washing on the front end and lower panels.

I either drive one of my jeeps, or my F350 when it rains.
Old 03-16-08, 08:43 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

I wash mines weekly, I just dont like to see it dirty...
Old 03-26-08, 05:24 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wanted to comment now, some time after my purchase, on how I REALLY ended up washing/cleaning/detailing my car.

Originally Posted by Neofate
Just got my LS 400 -- Spent 100$ on all the necessary chemicals/tools/micro's etc to spend a good couple hours on her tommorow. This is what I consider the 'first' major wash. This one will be the basis for the maintenance washes from here on out. -- It doesn't look bad as is, but it really needs some wax. So I bet I'll put a good 2-3 hours at least into it.
I end up spending closer to $500.00 with 30+ cleaning supplies, Polishes, glaze, waxes, My UDM Buffer, Pads, Dozens of microfibers, and on and on.

Went from a 'couple of hours' -- To better than 40+ hours so far. (wild guess there).

It is just like maintaining your engine,.. you can get one that runs ok, but needs some work.. do the major work on the inside, then maintain it from there on out.
While this is true -- I've ended up going for a bit 'better' look than the last time I did it -- Ending up spending more time each 'detail'. I've yet to *just* wash it and be done with it. I'm getting close though. =)

So initial wash/wax/claybar/detail hours and hours-- From there, probably once every 2 weeks or so, and that wash will be an hour or less.
The 2 weeks was a good estimate. Every 2 weeks is time for at least a wash.

I almost bought a buffer, but I think I do a better job with elbow grease.. If I had a professional grade buffer and was taught how to use it without potentially messing up the paint I know I could get a better shine, but I don't do bad by hand. For some reason I am stuck on hard paste wax -- I've never fell into the liquids. Something about the waxing on, and letting haze and then buffing off bit by bit that is nice.
How wrong I was here!

As I learned, and experienced. Nothing replaces a good professional grade Buffer for polishing. Waxing by hand is just fine, always -- but you simply cannot polish a car like a machine can with any amount of hours.

I use liquid wax now, exclusively .. heh. I said I was a hard wax guy -- I've been converted.

I do need to touch up some spots where rocks have hit etc,.. I checked out some stores for touch up paint, but none had my Champagne color. Willl any Lexus dealership have a 1994 LS 400 Champagne color? If so how much are they gonna charge me for it?
Never got an answer about the dealership - -and still need to do this step. I got the 'autozone' touch up paint, for abotu 8$ -- It doesn't match the color.. not even close. So I don't use it.
Old 03-28-08, 07:39 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I watch based on the weather. If it's going to be nicer more than a couple of days, I go for it, if not I wait for the weather to pass over. I started using my oem car cover before it rains and I haven't had to clean it still Lexus did last week.

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Wash Your Lexus?