Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Asking for expert help re. wash/wax products

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 10:51 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Asking for expert help re. wash/wax products

OK, after reading as many of these posts as possible I used the following sequence to detail my car for the first time and I was pretty happy with the results.

1. Washed car with Sunlight dish detergent ( could not find Dawn)
2. Claybar’d the whole car
3. Polished with Meguiar’s Deep Chrystal polish
4. Waxed with Collinite 845

My questions:
1. I have a bottle of Turtle wax Zipwax Car wash & wax that I would like to use up if possible. Would it be OK to use this for follow-up washes? Would the wax in it hurt or help? Can I re-apply the Collinite on top of this Zipwax?

2. Would I get a better result by just using a simple car wash product and then adding another coat of the Collinite or perhaps something like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax?
Old 06-21-11, 11:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I would avoid using turtle wax at all costs. It's really a waste of time since their waxes don't last at all.

Just use collinite 845/476 for durability. If you're gonna top waxes first do the 845, THAN top with 476, but never the other way around.
Old 06-21-11, 01:05 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Thanks 97-SC300 for the help.

I hear you about the low durability of the Turtle wax. It is just that I had purchased a huge jug of the stuff not that long ago and I would like to be able to use it as a wash solution if the wax product in it does not create problems for me.

In other words, by using the Turtle wash/wax will it limit the effectiveness of any wax I put on top of it? Should I just bite the bullet and throw it all out?
Old 06-21-11, 02:02 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
1. I have a bottle of Turtle wax Zipwax Car wash & wax that I would like to use up if possible. Would it be OK to use this for follow-up washes? Would the wax in it hurt or help? Can I re-apply the Collinite on top of this Zipwax?
Haven't had experience with turtle wax products, but I'd stick to regular wash soap. (ie. Meguiar's Gold Class)

Originally Posted by edarte
2. Would I get a better result by just using a simple car wash product and then adding another coat of the Collinite or perhaps something like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax?
Hold off on another coat of Collinite and use UQW after wash (2 bucket method and clay as needed). But for next full detail (paint correction/wax), I'd put 2 coats of wax to make sure you covered every surface.

Last edited by kentaro; 06-21-11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 02:18 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that a car wash soap would strip your collinite off even it is is turtle wax or armourall. You could always add a rinseless product like ONR to "soften" the water. ONR is a great product that can be used for many things. A capful in 32 oz of water makes a great clay lube.

2 caps in your wash water and you can use your turtley wash and wax with no lubricity issues. Once that soap is done though then buy a better wash like gold class or duragloss 901

+1 on holding off the rewaxing and using a maintenance product like UQW to renew your protection and looks. Two coats of 845 will probably last you 4-6 months easy which is why I never use it in the summer. I have too many other products I "need" to play with... haha

Last edited by embolism; 06-21-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 12:08 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by embolism
I doubt that a car wash soap would strip your collinite off even it is is turtle wax or armourall. You could always add a rinseless product like ONR to "soften" the water. ONR is a great product that can be used for many things. A capful in 32 oz of water makes a great clay lube.

2 caps in your wash water and you can use your turtley wash and wax with no lubricity issues. Once that soap is done though then buy a better wash like gold class or duragloss 901

+1 on holding off the rewaxing and using a maintenance product like UQW to renew your protection and looks. Two coats of 845 will probably last you 4-6 months easy which is why I never use it in the summer. I have too many other products I "need" to play with... haha
Sorry - just saw your post today. Thanks for the useful suggestions!