Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

beginner clay question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 01:53 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default beginner clay question

bought a clay kit, came with two 80 gram peices (blue). i took one of them and split it, and ended up using both halves on the car (RX 330).

question is, at what point does the clay stop working / lose its effectiveness?? (i assumed once it started to come apart easily and flake apart while rubbing)
Old 07-01-11, 02:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

What are you using as clay lube?

If you are using any type of soap or shampoo mixed with water.... THAT will cause the clay to break apart and lose effectiveness.

Clay used with dedicated clay lube, quick detailer, or something like ONR (Optimum No-Rinse @ clay lube dilution) should never cause the clay to break apart like you are experiencing.

Used with proper lube, clay becomes dangerous when you have used it on too many cars/panels to the point where it's filled with contamination. At that point, you are risking rubbing the contaminants back into the paint and causing maring. But the clay should not be falling apart.
Old 07-01-11, 02:46 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for an RX, I would use it 2-3 times max. Once only if you also clay the glass & wheels (after the paint, of course)
Old 07-01-11, 03:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by diablo1714
for an RX, I would use it 2-3 times max. Once only if you also clay the glass & wheels (after the paint, of course)
Claying doesn't solely depend on the size of a car. Although the RX is by no means a large SUV, it is larger than the average car. If your RX is not heavily contaminated you could get several safe uses out of a single bar of clay EASILY. Again, it has nothing to do with how big the car is, but how much contamination you pick up.
Old 07-01-11, 03:39 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

the kit included a spray wax detailer, which was used liberally.

the clay only started to break apart after half the car was done.

is it possible that the clay got too saturated with lube, which caused it to break apart?

i will try using it next time i clay, maybe letting it dry out will help.
Old 07-01-11, 03:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kiwi
the kit included a spray wax detailer, which was used liberally.

the clay only started to break apart after half the car was done.

is it possible that the clay got too saturated with lube, which caused it to break apart?

i will try using it next time i clay, maybe letting it dry out will help.
Are you claying the vehicle outside in the sun or in a hot temperature? Is the paint hot to the touch?

You need to work both in cool climate AND on a cool surface. Sometimes in the summer, that's not possible, so I keep a glass (or some sort of container with water and ice) and periodically dip my clay bar in the cold water so that it doesn't get too soft and sticky. It's a trick I learned a while back from a great detailer and it has worked in the hottest 90+ degree days. Just dip the clay in the cold water and it should instantly (within 10 seconds at least) harden and be ready to use again.
Old 07-02-11, 08:07 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

i managed to pick a cool day, mostly cloudly, and a high of 24 (celcius). also made sure i parked in the garage, so no direct sunlight, and the paint was not hot to the touch, warm at best.

i will put this experience down to being a beginner, better luck next time, luckily i didnt throw the old clay out.
Old 07-02-11, 09:23 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after every panel, inspect the clay, maybe spray some lube right on it and rub off any dirt, pick out any specks, then knead the clay and reform it into a patty.

Tip: Position it across your fingers below your fingertips. If your fingertips are in the clay there is a tendency to press harder with the tips and you break through the clay faster so you will have to reknead etc...
Old 07-03-11, 07:15 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
after every panel, inspect the clay, maybe spray some lube right on it and rub off any dirt, pick out any specks, then knead the clay and reform it into a patty.

Tip: Position it across your fingers below your fingertips. If your fingertips are in the clay there is a tendency to press harder with the tips and you break through the clay faster so you will have to reknead etc...
i think that was my problem, as the clay got saturated with lube combined with me pushing too hard with finger tips, the clay started to come apart.

like i said, first time claying, very happy with the results.

only other question is, how often should i clay? when the paint feels rough? every year or two??
Old 07-03-11, 08:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM
Old 07-03-11, 09:36 AM
baboteem
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the above post...im about to clay my car for the first time this weekend...
Old 07-03-11, 04:30 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi
i think that was my problem, as the clay got saturated with lube combined with me pushing too hard with finger tips, the clay started to come apart.

like i said, first time claying, very happy with the results.

only other question is, how often should i clay? when the paint feels rough? every year or two??
claying doesn't really harm your paint unless you get a piece of grit in there and keep rubbing it against the finish. If you use aggressive clays you might get marring but a milder clay should be fine.

Whenever your finish feels like it needs it, you can clay. Horizontal panels usually get contaminant buildup and if you park under trees, or drive on the highway a lot, you will definitely need to clay more often.
Old 08-05-11, 05:29 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Great videos on claying jfelbab
Old 08-05-11, 09:44 PM
eighty5iv
Driver School Candidate

Were you continuously using the clay bar as is or were you intermittently folding them as you were moving from panel to panel?
Old 08-06-11, 12:52 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

these are very informative videos with the process of claying.

Quick Reply: beginner clay question