Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stained leather question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 06:07 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stained leather question

I'm trying to help my father out he owns an 08 ls460 and a 2010 es330. My mother drives each of them occasionally and she has a big red leather belt she likes to wear. Both cars have tan interior and now both have red marks where her belt rubs against the seat. He took it to a place that does quick hand washes I would call them a semi professional detail shop and they could not get the red marks out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-04-11, 08:16 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are stuck

anything you try will abrade the leather coating. If you go through the coating (like going through clearcoat) then refinishing the leather will be necessary.
Old 07-04-11, 06:46 PM
nsh1351
Driver School Candidate

i like technicians choice leather cleaner. i would just keep working it into the leather every few days. it may get it out after a few trys
Old 07-04-11, 11:28 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i used this method to do my brother's RX but it was a last ditch effort.

problem: Brother had 4 pairs of same jeans with that stupid tag at the back.
Timeframe: About a year later, seat were blue and that tag area was Brown.

Tried: leather cleaners, etc.... didn't work.

Final solution: Magic Eraser (BE VERY CAREFULL CAN COMPLETELY REMOVE THE LEATHER DYE) and a leather conditioner product, NOT leather cleaner!!

Let leather conditioner sit on area for 5 mins...start magic eraser on it using cicular pattern and no pressure....apply very slight pressure if it doesn't come off and stop after a minute if its not working.

*Note* - i have been hearing wonders about leatherique line of rejuvinator oil and cleaner...wish i had the money back then for this.

Last edited by RuninRoach; 07-04-11 at 11:29 PM. Reason: add note about leatherique.
Old 07-05-11, 05:13 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

What has occurred is dye transfer. The dye from the belt has penetrated the Urethane topcoat of the tan leather. You can use leather cleaners and over time the stain will likely lessen and may even mostly disappear.

Using a magic eraser is like using sandpaper on your paint. You may wind up compromising the topcoat, both the color and finish, and that area will soil quicker. You also run the risk of sanding right through the topcoat and exposing the raw leather underneath. Better to live with the stain and clean it often and see if it fades over time.

You can prevent it from happening. Use of a leather protectant like Leather Masters Protection cream leaves a sealant like coating on the leather that prevents this dye transfer.

If you absolutely can't live with the stain, take it to a leather repair shop where they will re-dye and respray the topcoat.
Old 07-05-11, 05:43 PM
tomkirklan
Driver

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-07-11, 06:30 AM
micel
Rookie

Runninroach is not kidding,use Magic Eraser carefully.It was doing a great job cleaning IS seat 10-12 times but when cleaning it the last time a dark spot appeared and I rubbed a little harder and it got bigger,I had gone through polyurethane color coat.
Old 07-07-11, 11:52 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, Magic eraser is something that God sent down to man to help with tough stains. With its power came responsibility and one that yields this tool has to understand its divine nature to do good when used moderately and to destroy when used in excess!
Old 07-08-11, 06:07 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the Magic eraser

I can't stress it enough, BE SUPER CAREFUL! And get yourself a really good leather CONDITIONER. Make sure to condition the spot immediately after cleaning the spot. Also, if you want to kick it up a notch, dip the magic eraser into a bucket of warm water with oxiclean. GL
Old 07-08-11, 08:21 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leather conditioner doesn't really do anything for coated leather. Better to get a protection cream or spray protectant like Ultima Interior Guard that will help repel stains.

Apparently, Carpro and Optimum are coming out with coatings for leather soon that are similar to the exterior coatings they make (cquartz & opticoat)...

methinks that should make all you tan interior guys out there very happy...
Old 07-10-11, 03:35 PM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Assuming the stain has already happened:

Go to the grocery store and purchase a bottle of murphy's oil soap. It'll probably be with the floor cleaners as it's normally used on wood floors.

Take a damp washcloth (not sponge, it will be too wet). Apply liquid soap directly to stain with one side of washcloth, then wipe off giving a gentle scrub with the cloth.

This SHOULD lift the stain. If it does not, you will probably need to have it professionally removed.

It WILL NOT remove or damage a poly coat, it's a gentle cleaner.

A magic eraser will also work but I caution you to seal the leather immediately afterward.

EDIT: Disclaimer, I am not responsible if you try this and it doesn't work or damages your leather. It should work fine but I do not know the wear on your seats, or what caused the stain.