Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My GS Paint Correction & Detail

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 11:05 AM
JDMStanced
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job!
Old 07-21-11, 09:18 AM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

so this cleared up any oxidation?

thanks man I could really use this
Old 07-24-11, 11:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bnastyy
so this cleared up any oxidation?

thanks man I could really use this
Cleared everything up 100%!
Old 07-25-11, 12:07 AM
revel
Rookie

Wow. Huge difference! Nice work.
Old 07-25-11, 07:04 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

When I did a 2 step correction on my GS430 (millenium silver), I noticed that the black pillars and side window trim had one of the softest, stickiest paints I have worked with. No clearcoat on those areas either so I assumed it was the same 202 black onyx.

I tried a few different pad and polish combos. My PE14 proved to fail at correcting these areas even at a low 900rpm. I guess it's because the softest 4" pad I had was a green uber pad.

What ended up working like a charm was a LC black finishing pad with 106F on my XC3401 (so glad I got a DA for these soft jobs that come along).

What pad and polish combo did you use on the entire car? And I was also wondering why there was clearcoat on the hood and some other parts but not others?
Old 07-25-11, 09:00 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
When I did a 2 step correction on my GS430 (millenium silver), I noticed that the black pillars and side window trim had one of the softest, stickiest paints I have worked with. No clearcoat on those areas either so I assumed it was the same 202 black onyx.

I tried a few different pad and polish combos. My PE14 proved to fail at correcting these areas even at a low 900rpm. I guess it's because the softest 4" pad I had was a green uber pad.

What ended up working like a charm was a LC black finishing pad with 106F on my XC3401 (so glad I got a DA for these soft jobs that come along).

What pad and polish combo did you use on the entire car? And I was also wondering why there was clearcoat on the hood and some other parts but not others?
I agree. Side pillars were a PITA to correct to 100% without leaving a haze or pigtails behind. I used MF cutting discs with D300 then came behind on my Griots DA with Phil's Uber Green Pad with 106FA and they came out 100%. That combo actually worked perfectly on the whole car. The rest of the car was easy as it wasn't clearcoated so it came out 100% no problem. Just ate through several pads quickly though.

Front sections where clearcoated in my best assumption because they were repainted after the car was built. Most likely in the last 5 years or so. They did a great job as i couldn't tell the difference until i put my pad to the paint.
Old 07-28-11, 02:24 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

how many hours did it take? and where are u located in SoCAL?

i need some paint touch up for my car let me know
Old 07-28-11, 06:46 PM
eighty5iv
Driver School Candidate

nice work. is that a da rotary you are using? if so what brand?
Old 07-28-11, 08:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HellaG35
how many hours did it take? and where are u located in SoCAL?

i need some paint touch up for my car let me know
I'm located in Carlsbad. Took me about 8 Hours total to do my whole car. Wasn't a bad job what so ever, as Lexus paint is one of the easiest and most user friendly paint to correct!

Let me know if you want your car looking better than good.
Old 07-28-11, 08:50 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eighty5iv
nice work. is that a da rotary you are using? if so what brand?
It's a DA, Griots Garage DA Random Orbital polisher. Much better than the PC7424XP by comparison. More power, less vibration, better control and much quieter!
Old 07-29-11, 07:30 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

great transformation... the GS needs to get cleaned up soon...
Old 07-29-11, 08:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
It's a DA, Griots Garage DA Random Orbital polisher. Much better than the PC7424XP by comparison. More power, less vibration, better control and much quieter!
Oh Tim, you should've told me this before I went out and bought the PC. I always hear people raving about the 7424XP.
Old 07-29-11, 08:17 PM
eighty5iv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Nice. I wish I read about the quietness and control of the Griots DA over the PC. When it came for me to choose mine all the reviews came up about evenly between the two and what settled it for me was I happened to catch a nice deal on the PC. Maybe when I have some extra funds, I'll pick up a Griots DA and compare them two. The PC does tend to be very vibrational, that I can attest for.
Old 07-30-11, 12:06 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Oh Tim, you should've told me this before I went out and bought the PC. I always hear people raving about the 7424XP.
Sorry man. If i remember when we talked you already bought one? Wait no that was before you bought one. The PC is the "go to" DA machine that everyone uses. It seems, at least to me that everyone is very tentative to go with something else except for the Flex XC3401 which is 3 times the PC price.

Originally Posted by eighty5iv
Nice. I wish I read about the quietness and control of the Griots DA over the PC. When it came for me to choose mine all the reviews came up about evenly between the two and what settled it for me was I happened to catch a nice deal on the PC. Maybe when I have some extra funds, I'll pick up a Griots DA and compare them two. The PC does tend to be very vibrational, that I can attest for.
I have both and can attest that hands down the Griots DA is leaps and bounds of an improvement over the PC. Sell the PC and get a Griots.
Old 07-30-11, 12:21 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm down here in SD till Sunday :-p

I need some paint correction to a few very small minor things around the car (I usually do details / washes / waxes myself)

I've asked a Toyota for the 1c0 touch up paint and they sell it in little bottles HALF THE PRICE OF LEXUS DEALERSHIPS!!!!

shows you how much Lexus Stealerships really rip you off.

But I'm a poor *** college student right now, PM me with a quote please

Quick Reply: My GS Paint Correction & Detail