Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I buffed off my clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 02:31 PM
messysc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I buffed off my clearcoat

is there any way to fix these dull spots where I buffed out some scratches a little too vigoroursly??
Old 09-17-02, 04:52 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Shoot another coat of clear coat on; feather in the edges, lightly wet sand, then buff out.
Old 09-17-02, 04:56 PM
messysc
Driver

where can I get clearcoat? and how hard is it? I would like to do it myself but I just don't want to mess it up any further
Old 09-17-02, 04:58 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any paint store should have them. hobby shacks.... or autobody paint stores.
Old 09-17-02, 06:41 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't know the exactly procedure, but I believe you have to get clearcoat specifically made for AUTOMOBILES. Don't get anything that is made for model cars or anything of that sort.

I have referred this thread to some awesome people @ Autopia. I'm sure they will have no problems helping out.

General Site:
http://www.autopia.ws/index.php

Specific Thread:
http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread....threadid=15232

You might want to wait for some of their replies before you do anything!
Old 09-17-02, 07:50 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You sure it's clearcoat that you're talking about? Some colors don't have clear coat (example: black). I rememeber a thread on supra mailinglist about simmilar problem.
Old 09-18-02, 08:38 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Let me be a little clearer; If you don't have a paint gun and compressor- take the car to an auto body shop, or, if you've never painted a car before, take it to a shop.

Most people I know have done paint work before - we are all gear heads, right? SO I was assuming you either knew someone or had the knowledge yourself, since you were contomplating doing the repair yourself.

Clear coats are not simple to shoot. They must still be reduced, and there are different reducers for different climates - If you don't understand how to mix everything, it is best to leave it up to someone who knows what that are doing.

Sorry if i jumped the gun on my last post-

Keith

P.S. DIrEctQL : Not all Black paints don't have clear coats......there's gotta be a better way to word that!! A paint can be either a single stage (clear coat built into it) or a 2 stage - needs a clear applied over it. You can have a 2-stage black paint. Just beacuse a car is black or red, or any solid color, doesn't mean it does not have a clear coat. This isn't a flame, just a heads up not to buff the cr@p outa' black or other solid color cars, because they might still have a clear coat. Mazda, for one, made some models with solid color cars in a single stage, and other models of the same year with a 2-stage paint. So we need to look into wether Toyota did the same, or if they kept the paint codes the same across the models. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Keith
Old 09-18-02, 10:46 AM
messysc
Driver

It turns out I just scratched my clearcoat by being a little to aggresive with rubbing compound. It left a haze that I couldn't get rid of.
I had some 3M fine scratch remover lying around and that removed the haze!
I appreciate all your help!
Bizzy, Auopia is an awesome site, those guys had about 5 reponses to your question in like 15 minutes!!
Old 09-18-02, 12:38 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Keith13b
Let me be a little clearer; If you don't have a paint gun and compressor- take the car to an auto body shop, or, if you've never painted a car before, take it to a shop.

Most people I know have done paint work before - we are all gear heads, right? SO I was assuming you either knew someone or had the knowledge yourself, since you were contomplating doing the repair yourself.

Clear coats are not simple to shoot. They must still be reduced, and there are different reducers for different climates - If you don't understand how to mix everything, it is best to leave it up to someone who knows what that are doing.

Sorry if i jumped the gun on my last post-

Keith

P.S. DIrEctQL : Not all Black paints don't have clear coats......there's gotta be a better way to word that!! A paint can be either a single stage (clear coat built into it) or a 2 stage - needs a clear applied over it. You can have a 2-stage black paint. Just beacuse a car is black or red, or any solid color, doesn't mean it does not have a clear coat. This isn't a flame, just a heads up not to buff the cr@p outa' black or other solid color cars, because they might still have a clear coat. Mazda, for one, made some models with solid color cars in a single stage, and other models of the same year with a 2-stage paint. So we need to look into wether Toyota did the same, or if they kept the paint codes the same across the models. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Keith
I just told you, no black colored SCs or Supras have a clear coat. It's a fact and nothing to argue about. I don't know about other colors, but my color, Jade Green has a clear coat.
Old 09-19-02, 08:39 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I just told you, no black colored SCs or Supras have a clear coat. It's a fact and nothing to argue about. I don't know about other colors, but my color, Jade Green has a clear coat.
Sorry Direct; I didn't know that you new that for sure. Thanks for the info. I've seen too many message boards pass along similar info w/o looking into the paint codes, and saying that black paint (in particular) does not have a clear coat, when in most cases, it does.

Thanks for the clarification -

Keith
Old 09-19-02, 12:04 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Keith13b

Sorry Direct; I didn't know that you new that for sure. Thanks for the info. I've seen too many message boards pass along similar info w/o looking into the paint codes, and saying that black paint (in particular) does not have a clear coat, when in most cases, it does.

Thanks for the clarification -

Keith
No prob. I researched this a little and found out all the black SCs and Supras don't have a clear coat while Green do.