Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

GS450h Black Opal washing recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 12:40 PM
kszarini
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS450h Black Opal washing recommendations

Good afternoon

I live in the Sonoran desert and it is monsoon season here : afternoon dust-thunder-rain storms are the norm until mid September.

Rather than going to the hand wash facility miles away was going to begin washing the car myself and wondered what soap and cloth to use?

lkind regards
Kathy
Old 07-15-11, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is more of a question for the detailing forum. going to move it there for more exposure
Old 07-15-11, 02:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It's an understatement that the cars get trashed during these storms! Especially the one that hit the valley last week.

Not sure what condition your car is in now, but let's assume it's not covered in swirls and needs huge paint correction and you want a basic method.

The first thing I would recommend is a good wash using a quality car shampoo. I am a Meguiar's user, but there are myriad brands available. Their Gold Class works very well for my needs, and provides the necessary lubricity.

A quality wash mitt, my choice being microfiber or sheepskin, is also necessary.

Once you have rinsed off the suds and dried the vehicle either with a chamois (I recommend Absorbers, readily available at a parts place, Target, etc.) or with a microfiber or waffle weave towel, put a couple coats of wax on the car. Meguiar's Gold Class wax works well for this, is fairly easy to use, and provides a good shine. You can apply by hand with polishing pads, or by machine using a DA buffer (Porter Cable makes a quality unit, the 7424xp, which is not terribly expensive).

Once there are a couple of coats of wax on the car, it will make the maintenance of it infinitely easier. The dust will not stick nearly as easily, and will usually rinse off with a hose, then a quick follow up with another wash. For these interim washes that are simply to get the dust off, you will find a garden sprayer to be quite useful. You can put the shampoo in the bowl, dial in the correct ratio, and it will foam the car quite well. They are available at your local home store, and while not a true foam cannon, for just knocking off the dust and maintaining a clean vehicle, it is money well spent.

Figure a budget of about $50-70 for supplies, including the shampoo, a couple of buckets, wash mitt, wax, towels, and sprayer.

Big Mack